It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:31 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: My Father's Watch
PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 7:35 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Liked in: 0 post
Hello,

Absolute newbie here. I'm looking for advice regarding my father's SS Breitling 769. My questions are:

1. When was it made? Back of case says 704xxx above 769. No other features on SS back.
2. Best recommendations for cleaning and adjustment?
3. How to get it appraised?

Pic here. http://i.imgur.com/oFhY9.jpg

TIA

Post subject: Re: My Father's Watch
PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 8:38 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 1727 posts
congrats, very nice watch.
Serial number dates it to 1947, though dial and hands are later replacements, this dial was launched in the early 50s, definitely after 1952.

Re getting it cleaned and adjusted, pm member chronodeco, this is the best you can do to get a perfectly serviced watch from a competent, fair watchmaker.

Re appraisal, this is dicey, look at completed ebay auctions or chrono24, the replacement dial will reduce the value to some collectors.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:00 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

WatchFred wrote:
congrats, very nice watch.
Serial number dates it to 1947, though dial and hands are later replacements, this dial was launched in the early 50s, definitely after 1952.
Thanks, very interesting information. I just talked to my Dad about this and he has no recollection of having the face/hands changed. Never had to take it in for service - has been in a box for 45 years or more.

He purchased it in the mid-1950's from a Bennett Brothers Blue Book corporate mail order catalog (a hardbound book sent to corporations as a higher end source than Sears/Montgomery Wards, but with discounted(?) prices). Mom said they paid $40 for the watch.

Makes me wonder if this was the 50's equivalent of a 'factory refurb' - old stock with a cosmetic upgrade. Any chance that could have been going on?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:23 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 1727 posts
Theoretically possible, but ....
Just doublecheck the number, to be sure it is a 704xx and not a 794xx, which would make the case a 1951 and potentially this could come with a 52 dial.

Another possibility might be that somebody had 769s on stock and had Breitling replace the dial with the "latest and greatest", stranger things happened at Breitling in the mid to late 50s. We will probably never know exactly how this came about, but great to have a watch with somebody remembering it's history in detail. It is a very nice watch, congrats again to you and your father, it looks to be in great condition.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:40 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Thanks again. I double checked the serial number, it is 704xxx. I also followed your advice regarding eBay and found this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/170622925971

Which looks identical and if you look at the photo with a serial number it is earlier by a 1000 or so from my father's.

I'll just have to chalk this up to one of those mysteries of marketing. I believe that Bennet Brothers (in business for a 100 years) specializes in employee recognition awards and gifts at a reasonable price. Perhaps they were picking up old stock in those days. http://www.bennettbrothers.com/

Post subject: Very nice Chronomat
PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 7:29 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 1 post
As I've mentioned a couple of times before, I'm inclined to think that the Breitling case serials tell us when the case was bought by Breitling, and not necessarily when the watch was assembled/made/retailed.

Jim's testimony is consistent with that and we have seen a few other examples. I'm inclined to think that a large number of 769 cases were bought in 1947 and then consumed in production over the next several years.

There were just too many serial numbers for 1945-1947.