The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:28 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:52 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 0 post
Well...I don't have any pictures of the inside. Like I said, I went to a Breitling dealer who has been in biz for over 50 years. He said it was not necessary to pop open the back and risk any type of damage unless I planned on repairing it. That being said, I know he wants to make a buck off me but I would really appreciate it if somebody on this board could help and at least give me a ballpark figure on what this is worth.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:04 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Your watch is either real or a fake. The people on this forum are better experts at telling if it is real or not than "experts" in shops. You have been told that there are many fakes of this watch. And that it's impossible to tell if it is fake or not without seeing the movement and inside case back.

If someone tells you it is genuine without opening the back, they are just guessing. They can't be sure without opening it. So their opinion is worthless - and the fact they are prepared to give it without the most essential facts says it all.

The watch isn't even working so how could opening the back hurt it? Please get the back off and post photographs, and stop asking for hypothetical values. Once you show the experts here inside you'll get your valuation.

--

Breitling E17370 titanium Avenger Seawolf yellow face
Tag Heuer Carrera dad date calibre 16
Omega Speedmaster Tintin
Tissot PRC automatic day-date

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:17 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 534 posts
Location: Santa Marta colombia on our way to french polynesia
without seeing the movement i wont give an estimate , but have a look at this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Breit ... 3cbdc4424c

that one is defininately INCORRECT/FAKE/put together and has a non-Breitling movement and the asking price is $6000
So if you watch is original , which from the front it looks but to make certain we need to see the inside of the caseback and the movement, if should be a lot higher than what you have been offered
if you're keen to sell you can try to stick it on Ebay and see what happens but be prepared to show pics (again) of movement and caseback

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:39 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

So basically it could be a fake even if it is encased in 18 karat gold? Sorry for asking all these "amateur" type questions but I have no knowledge of watches whatsoever.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:13 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
mikeymike wrote:
So basically it could be a fake even if it is encased in 18 karat gold? Sorry for asking all these "amateur" type questions but I have no knowledge of watches whatsoever.

A lot, perhaps the majority, of vintage pieces are either fake or frankenwatches - made up of parts from other watches. Just look at many, many, many threads here.

It is entirely possible that the movement in your watch started life in another watch entirely and until we see it there is no way to know that. Anyone who says it's OK without seeing inside is simply guessing.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:42 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

So after quite a while I finally got a jeweler to take a look at the inside of my Breitling. He confirmed that it was authentic and he told me if it was working it would be worth in the 3k range. I have seen them on E-Bay for much more than that (which I can imagine isn't correct) but I wanted to reaffirm if the jeweler gave me the right estimate. He kept saying it was very rare and this and that but said it wasn't worth much. Here are the pictures http://s1127.photobucket.com/albums/l627/mikeymike855/.....its in the sub-album labeled Movement.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:06 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
For the benefit of others, here are the pictures.

I've got to be honest and say that I am really still none the wiser.

I think that the caseback markings that I cna see are OK, but I'm not a hallmark expert.

I can see that the bridge has engraving that could be Breitling, but I can only see the shape, I can't read anything and I can see that there is an export code on the balance cock, but I can't read it.

Anyone got better eyes than me?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:31 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Here's another...sorry about the crappy pics....I should have turned the flash off

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:42 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 1727 posts
Roffensian wrote:
I think that the caseback markings that I cna see are OK, but I'm not a hallmark expert.

I can see that the bridge has engraving that could be Breitling, but I can only see the shape, I can't read anything and I can see that there is an export code on the balance cock, but I can't read it.

Anyone got better eyes than me?

nope, Roff, none the wiser too.
am a little surprised to see this bridge marking (if it is what I think it is) on a 1947 movement, can not read the import code, though hallmarks look fine as far as I can tell; dislike the hands, but they might be later replacements ? Better pics needed to say anything with confidence.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:21 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 534 posts
Location: Santa Marta colombia on our way to french polynesia
Hi Mike
we need a lot more detail than is available in the pics
do you have a macro (little flower) on your camera ?
that way you can really get close and make high detailed pics

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:14 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Why does that ring around the movement look like it says "METAL" on it in the last picture, but is not really visible on the 2 that Roff linked to? Is this the same watch? Is it just the angle? Mikey Mike, you should really take some crisp clear close ups, as I'm sure the kind members here will give you a concrete answer on value when they can confirm that it is legit... Like Dracha said...use the macro setting and lighting from above instead of the flash

EDIT: I guess it is just the angle. I can kind of make it out on those other 2 pics I think after a closer look.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:59 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Unfortunately the back cover has already been put on. I only have those pictures because a Breitling authorized jeweler had taken the back off to see the inside because he wanted to buy it from me. (I took pictures at the store, which is why you can see jewelry in the background.) I would love to get more pictures but I do not want to take the back off myself and damage it.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:52 am 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

Liked in: 1 post
Dont want to kill the excitement here but why does it take from Nov 2011 to Feb 2012 to post pictures on here. I,m not too good but sure If I were keen to get it authenticated it wouldnt take that long,or is it just me