The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat

It is currently Tue May 26, 2020 9:14 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: 806 mesh bracelet
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:38 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 1 post
Always nice to talk with you. I learned something. It helps to have an open mind. You might try it sometime.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:47 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Here is a catalog picture of the 7651 Copilot showing the bracelet. Bill

https://www.google.com/search?q=breitli ... T3D_ycVtlM

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:48 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Attachment:
breitling copilot 7651 bracelet.jpg
Here is the picture.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:16 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 64 posts
WatchFred wrote:
„looks real“. lol.
go back to shill bidding your ebay listings, Bill - you’ve stolen enough of our time.

Ridiculous comment, completely unnecessary.
Lack of respect, and delivered from somebody who should know better.

I know 100+ eBay buyers and sellers who shill bid, bids for others, refrain from bidding for various reasons, buys out of eBay (including myself) etc etc.

eBay is a game, and Bill is a player.

Kurt B http://www.kurt-b.com

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:37 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 1464 posts
agree & apologize

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:56 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

WatchFred wrote:
agree & apologize

Well done, thanks (on behalf of Bill)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:00 pm 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

Liked in: 250 posts
Kurt B wrote:
WatchFred wrote:
„looks real“. lol.
go back to shill bidding your ebay listings, Bill - you’ve stolen enough of our time.

Ridiculous comment, completely unnecessary.
Lack of respect, and delivered from somebody who should know better.

I know 100+ eBay buyers and sellers who shill bid, bids for others, refrain from bidding for various reasons, buys out of eBay (including myself) etc etc.

eBay is a game, and Bill is a player.

Sorry, don’t agree at all. Shill bidding for others, buying out of eBay etc are all dishonest and unethical. You should be embarrassed to do it and I'm really surprised you admit you doing it on a public Internet forum. Some Player.

davedc74 likes this post.
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:06 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Getting back to the bracelet, the 7651 bracelet in the catalog picture is period appropriate, tapered, and proof that these bracelets existed.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:14 pm 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

BILLSHAINE wrote:
Getting back to the bracelet, the 7651 bracelet in the catalog picture is period appropriate, tapered, and proof that these bracelets existed.

If you had pictures of the buckle/clasp it might. The catalog photo doesn’t indicate the bracelet in the OP is a legitimate style or period piece.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:49 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

The fact that it is in the catalog makes it de facto a period piece. The thing about flush cut bracelets, is that the have to be cut for the diameter of the watch, not just the lug spread. The distance from the lug holes to the watch is also an important factor. Generic bracelets that are flush cut and not made for a specific diameter watch never fit another watch, and then they tend to fit poorly because they have to be conservative about fitting too close.

The 48mm fried egg Breitlings were a one of a kind line. Nobody had a generic bracelet flush cut to fit a 48mm diameter watch. The bracelets also have to fit the thickness of the watch, adding to the specificity requirement. While this isn't proof that the clasp was signed, it is proof that the bracelets were made for the watch, and no unsigned ones have surfaced.

Breitling started signing their straps in the late 1960s. Fred's bracelets, signed as they are with the watch name, is the only example of its type, from any brand, that I have ever seen from the 50s. The quality is far higher than the Rolex bracelets or Omega bracelets of the day (Rolex Bonklip followed by Rolex and Omega beaded bracelets. The higher quality Rolex Oyster bracelet was still pretty rickety until the late 50s when it was beefed up for the Submariner.), Quality was not generally a component of Breitling peripherals in the 50s. Only because Fred says it is original would I accept that his bracelets are original and period correct to the 50s. Quite extraordinary really, perhaps literally incredible.

As to design and period, the stepped clasp and the extremely tapered bracelet are period correct and not something that some factory in the Chinese hinterlands would detect about 60s and 70s European, British and american watch culture, and come up with a fake with nothing to copy. All the fake watches that we see are copies. Even the excellent Italian fake 30s and 40s Rolexes are copies of real watches.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:15 pm 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

Bored of this thread Bill. Just saying something is period correct doesn’t mean it is. You sell all these Breitling branded double wings buckles on eBay that you also state categorically are vintage , but they’re not. The only source of them seems to be you, they never appeared in a catalogue, and your “NOS” supply is seemingly endless. So, seems the Chinese can make a buckle or 2 ( or 1000) .You’re not a credible arbitrator of originality in my opinion.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:35 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Re the buckles:
The double plane buckles were made in the late 70s, but never released. Breitling closed their doors. For several years they were made available through Breitling's liquidator Watchco Australia, and appeared on their pages together with the various other Breitling (and mostly Omega) items they were liquidating, many from the 70s. Watchco Australia shut its doors when Omega decided to take everything through its own dealers. As a part of their liquidation, I purchased the remaining stock.

Re the bracelet:
If an item appears in a catalog from the late 60s, as this bracelet does, then yes, it is period correct, unless, of course it is from an earlier time. It CAN NOT be from a later time, or ipso facto its picture could not be in the catalog, res ipsa loquitur. This seems like an obvious fact that could not receive legitimate argument. I have said all along that I thought it was from the late 60s. Nobody has suggested that it was made earlier, and it can't have been made later unless you are aware of some magic that I am not.

It wasn't too long ago that everyone thought the 765AVIs with the digital window were all made before the three subdial models. the ones that I owned were indeed all early. Today, we know better. Earlier in this century, the best histories available of the Navitimer had them first made in 1952 with Venus 178 movements. Today, we know better. You can't approach this stuff with a closed mind!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:56 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Quote:
Sorry, don’t agree at all. Shill bidding for others, buying out of eBay etc are all dishonest and unethical. You should be embarrassed to do it and I'm really surprised you admit you doing it on a public Internet forum. Some Player.

Absolutely nothing wrong in the way you think, and if u act as such, what a wonderful fantasizing world u live in.

In this world (and the one beyond - if u believe) the winner takes it all . . . ! !

To be very honest, imho u live under a rock.

Let’s not continue further in this thread, start a new thread if u wish go on.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:04 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 1464 posts
Dave; well, every forum member here knows Bill, his professional history both as a lawyer & as an ebay seller, so publicly shaming him wasn't necessary, that's what I apologized for.
of course deeply dislike shill bidding - and live quite well in my "bubble of decency", though Kurt may think it's a fantasy.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:39 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

WatchFred wrote:
of course deeply dislike shill bidding - and live quite well in my "bubble of decency", though Kurt may think it's a fantasy.

I would obviously prefer if shill bidding didn’t excist, but since it does, and u can’t do anything about it, then why be bothered, if you’re happy for what you’ve paid.

I have never sold anything on eBay, and never will, so it’s not an option for me.

What I admitted in doing, is buying out of eBay, and I will prefer that u do not deny in public that you haven’t done - or actually does so.

Quote:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next