The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:27 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:14 pm 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

Liked in: 5 posts
NOW SOLD - Thanks as always to BS for hosting.

Gentlemen,

Some recent incomings have made a bit of a hole in the watch fund kitty, so I'm offering for sale a lovely Breitling SuperOcean Steelfish, the A17390.

I posted a thread on another forum regarding the recent refurbishment of this watch, which generated a fair bit of interest. The thread is here: http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.php?2 ... ion-Part-1

To summarise, Paul Walker (walkerwek1958) has performed a full refinishing/refurbishing service on the watch, and he's done a magnificent job, and the watch is in superb condition. As a rule, I'm fairly critical in my descriptions of any watch I'm selling, but this is as near mint as you will find. I cannot see any cosmetic or mechanical issues (Paul tells me there is a tiny bit of pitting on the caseback somewhere, but I can't see it). The watch has not been worn since Paul sent it back to me last week.

Here's Paul's description of the work undertaken.

Official Specs for the 'Fish and other useful info can be found here: http://www.breitlingsource.com/watch_de ... n_186.html

This automatic model, which incorporates the Breitling 17 Movement (modified ETA 2824-2), dates from December 2006, and is the larger 44mm case (previously called the X-Plus, to differentiate it from the earlier 42mm version). This is the ultimate Tool watch, chronometre certified of course, and originally rated at an official depth rating of 2000m (6600 feet, or roughly a mile and a quarter!). Paul has pressure tested the watch for me to a 6 BAR rating (50 metres or so), so it's more than adequate for anyone except the most serious deep divers.

It's a full set, double-boxed (including minty, unbroken Bakelite box), with a COSC certificate, stamped and dated warranty card (December 2006), the User Manual, original hang-tag, original purchase receipt, and the document wallet (torn at the top corner of the outer sleeve). Paul's receipt, detailing the work undertaken, will also be included.

CONDITION REPORT/DESCRIPTION:

Crystal: The slightly domed Sapphire Crystal is in immaculate condition, as is the anti-reflective coating.

Dial: Silver/White Dial, with 'Guilloche' concentric circles, which accentuates the metallic finish. Large applied steel Arabic numbers at 12, 6 and 9. Applied steel circle markers, lume filled, for other numbers. Steel-framed Quickset Date window at 3 (clicks over bang on midnight). Applied Breitling Wings Logo in steel. Minute Marker Track to outer of dial, 24 hour clock indicators to inner. Perfect condition, and lume is outrageous.

Hands: Hour and Minute hands are slim steel 'swords', segmented, tapering outwards slightly, with a luminous fill. The central Seconds is steel, needle style with a red and white arrowhead tip. All in mint condition. Again, the lume is terrific.

Case: The case is a classic diver-style, with satin-brushed finish to the steel on the top surfaces, and a mirror-polish to the sides and underside. Overall condition is LIKE-NEW - no marks of any kind.

Caseback: The caseback is a 15-sided screwback type, in polished steel. Markings are clear, including Model and Serial numbers (Serial Number is fainter than other markings, but still clearly legible). Paul reckons there are some tiny pitmarks on the caseback, but I can't see them.

Bezel: There is a uni-directional steel bezel, in a brushed finish, with a polished-finish thin 'chimney' band to the inner above the crystal, and another band of polished steel to the outer, with stud details, and an engraved fancy 'B' between 55 and 0. The bezel, which rotates fully in 120 crisp 'clicks', is engraved with relevant increments (numbered 0-55 with minute markers). Raised 'riders' at the quarters, including lumed 'pip' at 12. Again, looks like new, and Paul's managed to retain the 'starburst' brushed finish.

Crown: Original large Screw-Down ridged-edge steel crown, clear 'B' signed. Excellent, and works perfectly.

Movement/Running: I had my watchmaker inspect and regulate this in January. The Breitling-signed 17 Calibre movement (modified ETA 2824.2 base) is in excellent order, and running well, with a strong reserve (rated at 42 hours). Timekeeping is pretty much spot on. It was running within COSC specs when tested by Paul two weeks ago. I ran it overnight, and it's -2 seconds over the last 24 hours. Amplitude Test Results dated 26 March are included.

Bracelet: The watch is mounted on the lovely Breitling Professional II Bracelet. Paul has rebrushed this, and it is superb. I think it's full length (14 links, plus clasp link, and a comfortable fit on my 8.25" wrist), or 1 link short from full size. The foldover clasp is immaculate too.

Measurements: Width (without Crown): 44mm. Thickness: 16.1mm. Lug-to-lug: 52mm. Lug Width 22mm. Weight 226 grams.

Other: I think I've covered everything - it's a big 'tool' watch, it's in a complete box set, it's in like-new condition, both mechanically and cosmetically. The Pro II bracelet is a joy, and is a lovely match to the dual finish steel/silver dial head. It's a heavy beast (226 grams). And unless you can find a New, Old Stock model, this is as good as it gets!

The Steelfish was discontinued by Breitling last year, as they pushed the Abyss range launched in 2011. Shame really, as the Steelfish is such a nice watch. However, it does mean there's quite a demand for a good 'fish! On the forums, I've seen them go for £1500 or so, a tidy one just went on the Rolex Forum for £1400. The prices on the 'bay are even higher (£1700 to £1800).

I had a similar aged watch that I sold a couple of weeks ago for £1259 - it was in very nice condition, but hadn't been refinished, and was on a Leather strap. I'll put this one up at an extremely reasonable £1450 - that's a bit of a steal, considering the condition, and the fact it's on the Pro II. The price includes Next Day RMSD for UK Bidders. Overseas will need to contact me for exact Shipping costs based on destination, but I'll use a courier (Fed-Ex/UPS) for safer Tracked Shipping, so you're looking at an extra £20-£30 I'd guess (it's a heavy package).

I've loads of Feedback on here, I'm a 'Top Rated' e-bay seller (2300+ deals, 100%, username 'goonermike'), and I've got plenty of Feedback on TZ-UK (username BigBird), so there are no worries there.

I'd prefer BT. PayPal if absolutely necessary, or for overseas, but I cannot accept PayPal Gifts (my account just won't accept them, and I get charged even on gifts). So if you want to use PayPal, it'll be via the 'official' route, and you'll need to add 3.4% to cover Fees, which takes it to £1499.

If I've missed anything, you'd like more info or pics, please feel free to PM me.

Cheers!

Mike 8)

Pics - starting with headshots:

Case Sides and Back:

Bracelet and Clasp:

The lume shots!

It's a full set:

Last edited by goonermike on Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:14 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 18 posts
Now Mike, THAT is how to do a 'for sale' thread! You almost had me reaching into my wallet! Thankfully my wallet is safe as I recently bought a SOSF.
I'm sure this will be gone soon, looks in perfect condition! :)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:54 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 0 post
1,450.00 GBP = 2,207.26 USD
British Pound ↔ US Dollar
1 GBP = 1.52225 USD 1 USD = 0.656922 GBP

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:51 pm 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

Liked in: 5 posts
Thanks for the kind comments Dr J - you can tuck the wallet away, as the 'Fish has now sold (via another outlet)...

Also, thanks to Phil for the FX rates.

And of course, thanks to BS for hosting.

Cheers

Mike 8)