Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 2:39 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: how to set watchwinder
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:14 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Liked in: 0 post
I have a Breitling Crosswinds Chronograph. As I have gotten older, my activity level has decreased and I must frequently manually wind my watch. The neuropathy in my fingers makes that extremely difficult. So...I recently purchased a watchwinder. I can set the direction of rotation and number of turns per day (TPD); which I suspect is the number of turns of the whole watch on the winder and not the stem turns. I set it to turn the watch in a clockwise direction for 900 TBD. I find myself having to set the time on my watch as it seems to run slow. So, I suspect that I have not set my watchwinder correctly. I read, in the FAQs, that a good watchwinder (I have a Belocia) should be bi-directional. Should I set the watchwinder to rotate in both directions? Is there a way to figure out how many turns per day...or should I just set it to maximum and count on the Breitling overwinding protection?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:30 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
This thread may help - viewtopic.php?f=6&t=23867

As you can see from the Orbita database linked to in that thread the movement in the Crosswind needs 800 turns per day clockwise. Make sure that the watch is fully wound before you put it on the winder and if it is still losing time then there is likely another issue that will require a service. When was the watch last serviced?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:40 pm 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Liked in: 0 post
Thanks. May I suggest that you put a watchwinder topic on the main FAQ page? I would never have individually found the thread to which you referred...it answered the questions.

I did expect it to wind my watch....INCORRECT!
My watch was not fully wound when I started using the winder....MISTAKE!
I do have the correct direction and TPD (BY CHANCE :-))

Over the past several years, my watch has run slow by about 5-10 min over 3-4 months. Now that I understand the winder, I'll be able to pinpoint if it's a problem with the watch or inactivity...not that I can now afford to fix it. It's never been serviced since I purchased it from an authorized seller in 2000.

Again, thank you very much!!!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:37 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
larryvoyer wrote:
It's never been serviced since I purchased it from an authorized seller in 2000.

That watch is in desperate need of a service. You have been running it without lubrication for at least 5 years because with the best will in the world the oils will have completely broken down after 7 years. It's not surprising that it's losing time there is significant amounts of friction in the running train as the arbors slowly destroy themselves!