Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:34 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: spring bar tool (Pliers)
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:39 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 1 post
Having just treated myself to a Navitimer world on Navi bracelet with OEM Brown leather strap, i struggled to get the Navi Bracelet off, curved fitted end links are a bugger, i managed it but i now i will struggle to get it back on, just like my GMTC II which i have on Rubber B and is staying on rubber B, i think spring bar pliers are in order any recommendations for a set that will actually work, or do i have to go down the Bergeon route.

Regards Mark

SO 46mm on OR + Mesh
Avenger M1 Regatta on Pro 1

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:05 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
I would try pliers before you buy. I have tried to get on with the Bergeon ones on several occasions and absolutely hate them. The regular spring bar tools are far easier to use (for me) and quicker. They are also a fraction of the price.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:53 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 1727 posts
+1

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:03 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Cheers i will try a set of Pliers then, i did manage to mark the underside of the GMT II when i changed the bracelet with two spring bar tools but managed to get the marks out + i stabbed my finger. I think the trick to fitted end links might be getting someone to hold the watch while attempting to change with separate tools.

Regards Mark.

SO 46mm on OR + Mesh
Avenger M1 Regatta on Pro 1

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:46 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

IMO a Bergeon 6767F spring bar tool is a lot like putting contacts in. The first few times, you will hate it to death. Then for a little while, you'll struggle some but eventually succeed with persistence. Finally, you will achieve proficiency and it will take literally seconds (getting to that point doesn't take very long). The underside and inside of the lugs on most watches are going to get some markings on them if you switch out excessively. I change straps up almost daily so the markings are apparent, but only on the underside and inside of the lugs, which doesn't bother me. You can avoid these markings somewhat with painter's tape...but to me that is a pain to protect a part of the watch you never see when wearing. I was originally going to buy the Breitling Pliers (I doubt they are made by Breitling but they have the Breitling markings on them which you occasionally see on eBay) until I both read here and was told by an AD that they are a real pain. I'm glad I didn't...the money I saved by not doing it was so much that it paid for a Vero Squalo custom strap. :wowzers

Another thing you could try is using the Breitling spring bars from the leather strap for both that and the metal bracelet. IMO it is a much easier spring bar to grab with the 6767.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:06 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 72 posts
nickzac wrote:
Another thing you could try is using the Breitling spring bars from the leather strap for both that and the metal bracelet.

Better not, spring bars for straps are thicker.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:16 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
Taping off the underside of the lugs helps until you get comfortable.

I always apply pressure to the top of the strap (which will be on the bottom) with the thumb of the hand holding the watch when removing the spring bar and that helps to prevent the springbar from going back into the hole once compressed. For reattaching the strap, don't try and get one end of the spring bar into the hole first, just get the springbar compressed between the lugs on both sides and then line up with the holes - it allows for a shallower angle and makes it much easier.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:24 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

bnewbie wrote:
nickzac wrote:
Another thing you could try is using the Breitling spring bars from the leather strap for both that and the metal bracelet.

Better not, spring bars for straps are thicker.

I've used them on my Pilot and Pro 2 for most of the time I've had the watches. I have MS and so the little extra grip they provide has always been a big help for me. I've never ran across any issues with it personally (hopefully it doesn't harm the watch as it makes a night and day difference for me!).