The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:26 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:36 pm 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

Liked in: 335 posts
No, unfortunately I didn't shoot any before and after shots, just a quick and dirty of one of the products I used wrapped in an Evo... ;-)

My UTC specific 781P OEM black croco was showing its age and I was considering relegating it to the trash can. Three problems... One, the white thread was very dingy, almost a grey/brown color instead of its orginal bright white. Two, in a couple of places the croco grain between the scales was worn from bending and a brown color was showing through the original black coating. Last, the strap had lost its original luster and the black was dull in shade.

The fixes... First, a Clorox bleach pen from the laundry room. The bleach squeezes out of the pen in a somewhat thick stream which I dripped onto a sheet of plastic. Dipping a toothpick into the bleach, I dabbed the strap's thread with the toothpick making sure it soaked the threads. After an hour, I gently rinsed the strap in cool water and wiped it dry with a cloth. Next, I did the exact same thing to the worn croco between the scales using black liquid shoe polish. The color was restored and the strap looked pretty darn good. Third and final step, a very quick rub with the product shown in the below pic. Any auto parts store has it available. Each cloth dispensed from the container is lightly soaked in Meguiar's secret indredient (whatever the heck that is) and after one swipe with the wipe, the strap now looks brand spanking new. I "swiped" my other straps also and was very pleasantly surprised how much nicer each one looks after a swipe and "polish" with a lint free cloth. I suppose "armorall" or something similar could produce a like result but Meguiar's is specifically made to do the job and it does it very, very well IMO. :-!

Ran outside and shot a Q & D wrist shot to help give you an idea of the strap now. I'm loving having a brand new 781P again! :-)

Best,
Ron

Click to view: 500px Photo Gallery "Flow" or... 500px Photo Gallery or... Breitling Pics Slideshow

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:02 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 844 posts
Good info, thanks I love Maguires car products

1 Super avenger night mission
1 Limited edition chronomat Boston Celtics
Navitimer GMT
Transocean Chronograph Unitime
2 Omega planet ocean chronographs
1 Tag heuer Monaco

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:02 pm 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

Liked in: 18 posts
Looks good! Do you have a before picture?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Peter

BREITLING for Bentley Motors T & Mark VI, Aerospace
ROLEX Submariner Ceramic116610LN
OMEGA Plantet Ocean 8500 42mm Orange arabics
OCEAN7 LM-3

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:03 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 37 posts
Brilliant tip! Thanks for that. To give calf straps a little more water resistance, I remove them and spray with scotchgard leather spray. Works a treat!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:01 pm 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Liked in: 0 post
Strap came out nice!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:29 pm 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 1 post
Have you ever tried Bick 4 or Leather Honey? I've found them to work very nicely on Croc (and shark, python, ostrich, and lizard). I have a similar Meguiar's product tho I've never used it on anything other than car leather...I'll have to give it a try.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:10 pm 
All Roads lead to Breitling
All Roads lead to Breitling

Liked in: 33 posts
Nice work, Ron. I'm still stuck on the simple EVOO. But the wipes sound very simple to use. Time to check them out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:04 am 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

Liked in: 335 posts
sharkman wrote:
Nice work, Ron. I'm still stuck on the simple EVOO. But the wipes sound very simple to use. Time to check them out.
Hi, Tom. Yes, I considered using the extra virgin olive oil for the shine but just happened to notice the can of Maguiar's sitting on a shelf and tried that instead. Nice and shiny after the first double swipe with the meguiar's cloth, more so after a quick rub with a clean dry cloth and importantly, the croco then feels dry to the touch, not oily, wet or sticky at all. Darn thing simply looks and feels like I just picked it up at the AD! Probably somewhat wasteful to use such a large cloth for such a small item but I suppose I could have cut off some of the Maguiar's cloth with a pair of scissors first... :roll: Heck, the dashboard of my car needed some attention anyway so I didn't really waste the cloth! :)
Best,
Ron

Click to view: 500px Photo Gallery "Flow" or... 500px Photo Gallery or... Breitling Pics Slideshow

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:06 am 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 0 post
I never get tired of that old Evo pic dron. (Must have seen it hundreds of times over the last eight years)

“Quis custodiet ipsos custodes"

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:33 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 1 post
sharkman wrote:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you have exotic leathers, have you tried Bick4? I use it on mine but I'm curious as to how it compares to EVOO as that seems to work quite well also on preserving leather (and wood).
http://www.bickmore.com/Leather%20Care/Bick4.html