The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:38 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:20 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 0 post
I have a couple watches with rubber straps and I find I don't wear them anymore. I sweat more under them and find them generally less comfortable. Also i am getting to the point where i think they just look cheap...

I know they have their place and uses, but beyond being utilitarian... I would prefer metal or leather with airing holes.

Any one care to share their thought on rubbers? :lol:

Luminox Field Chrono

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:39 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 62 posts
First off, I'd never want a hole in a rubber. (Way too easy)

For watches, the rubber strap on my Luminox Blackout is perfect for the application. That said, its exclusively a sports and weekend watch for me.
I had a nice looking rubber bracelet on a JLC GMT compressor I owned. I found I just didn't use it--still not comfortable wearing it with a dress shirt, and I just kept the leather band on, sort of by default. Omega makes nice looking stitched rubber straps that at a glance, look like a calf strap. Breitling's setup with the deployment clasp is beautiful, but limited use has kept me from getting one. I can't get away from the concept of it being a short sleeve or sport shirt watch.

AP Royal Oak 15400, silver
Zenith Chronomaster El Primero Classic Cars
Vintage gold Corum
Rolex DJ 36 TT, oyster dial, oyster/smooth
Baume & Mercier Riviera 200m, silver dial/aquamarine bezel
Breitling Superocean 57, rose/stainless

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:51 pm 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

It's honestly the best thing to have on a watch if you can bring yourself to enjoy it. It wont scratch like steel, stink like leather and they look the best over time.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:40 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 11 posts
My CSO is on an Ocean Racer pretty much all summer! It's definitley the most comfortable against the Croc and Bracelet. The rubber seems to grip my wrist and that makes the watch sit perfectly centered with no flopping around. I'm totally pro rubber! (But only in the summer :lol: )

Omega Aqua Terra 8500
Rolex Submariner Date Ceramic

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:40 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
I was always massively against them, but I recently got hold of an Omega rubber strap for my Ploprof and it makes a nice change from the mesh once in a while. I've also used an Isofrane strap on a Doxa and they are truly exceptional and also totally in keeping with a tool watch.

That said, I still dislike rubber on more dressy watches, so apologies to those of you who have rubber straps on Chronomats and Navitimers and the like! I just think rubber should be kept well away from certain types of watch, but on a proper tool watch I think they can look great.

Site Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:53 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Driver8 wrote:
I was always massively against them, but I recently got hold of an Omega rubber strap for my Ploprof and it makes a nice change from the mesh once in a while. I've also used an Isofrane strap on a Doxa and they are truly exceptional and also totally in keeping with a tool watch.

That said, I still dislike rubber on more dressy watches, so apologies to those of you who have rubber straps on Chronomats and Navitimers and the like! I just think rubber should be kept well away from certain types of watch, but on a proper tool watch I think they can look great.

My sentiments exactly, i used to hate rubber straps but not the black or range rubber strap for ploprof. Personally, i think ploprof with it's rubber strap is the only watch that can go with a long sleeve or folded long sleeve.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:37 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

For what it's worth, I have always thought of a rubber strap as a kind of 'cheap' option, in appearance more than anything. Especially when you look at the quality of the Breitling metal bracelets.

Then I recently found myself embarking on a path of finding new croco straps to give my watches a new look & loved it. I was left with the SuperOcean Steelfish & began thinking about also going for a different look. As I do swim with it, any type of leather (or croc) was out of the question, so I searched for a Pro 1 rubber strap.

Now that I have it, I think it's absolutley brilliant for the watch that it was intended for - I wouldn't dream of putting it on the Montbrillant or Chronomat though. It is a hell of a lot more comfortable than I had ever imagined it to be & actually looks pretty good (in my own opinion).

I guess it's ultimately up to the owner to find a watch head / strap / bracelet combo that they're happy with & reflects their mood & style.

Rubber definitely has a place in my collection these days!

A number of strap / bracelet combo's

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:57 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 51 posts
I wear my Superocean Chrono 2 almost every day and I like the Pro 2 rubber strap (deployant). It has less weight than the steel bracelets and it is very comfortable. Of course it will not be the right strap for any watch. But for the sportier watches I think it fits well.
After all it is a matter of taste, personally I don't think it looks cheap. Maybe it's the whole appearance of the wearer, the complete picture, that makes it look good or displaced. Not every type of watch and strap fits every type of man. :wink: