Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:42 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:53 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 0 post
Hello Breitling afficionados,

I am reaching out to you if you can give me your opinion on breitling leather straps. What are the specs (size and such) I should look for and I appreciate if anyone has photos and if anyone is selling too.

Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:20 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
I moved this out of the sales section as it's not really a WTB - once you have your answers feel free to start a dedicated want to buy thread.

The first thing that we need to know is what the model number of your Steelfish is, there are two different size straps for the different models. You'll find a lot of threads with photos of the Breitling calf and croc straps on both tang and deployant clasps.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:43 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

I actually bought the watch through this forum
here's the info I have from the previous owner

Breitling Superocean Steelfish X-Plus A-17390

Breitling Superocean Steelfish Chronometre wrist watch with stainless steel Professional link-style bracelet band. Swiss movement, round blue dial, date, round hour marker with silver numbers 6, 9, and 12, and 60 minute bezel. Purchased in 2006

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:51 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Here's a pic of the watch for reference

I gave this watch to my husband last year for his wedding gift and for our 1 yr anniversary next week, I am planning to give him a leather strap. So, appreciate your help with specs for either reg strap or deployant, price ranges and if anyone is selling please reply.

Thanks.

Grace ;)

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:23 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
What you need is a 22mm strap in that case. Breitling straps are hard to beat for quality and obviously they look superb with Breitling watches..... but they are expensive, especially if you go for croco. I'd always advise going for the deployant version (and deployant clasp) as they last better due to less pressure being put on the strap when taking the watch on and off. I don; have my latest price list to hand but someone here will have the prices for you - or just call any AD and they'll tell you.

If you want to go custom them there are a million strap sellers and makers out there, although not too many that produce Breitling deployant compatible straps. The best aftermarket place IMO is ABP-Paris as they will make a strap entirely to you spec in a multitude of different leathers, but I'm assuming you are probably not in that place right now in terms of knowledge about what to ask for.

IMO, stick with Breitling OEM. You should also buy from an AD as there aren't too many savings to be had on-line and there are a lot of fakes about. Contact member FEAR or Jnelson3097 (if you are US based) for a decent price from an AD.

Site Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:33 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 1 post
Driver8 wrote:
What you need is a 22mm strap in that case. Breitling straps are hard to beat for quality and obviously they look superb with Breitling watches..... but they are expensive, especially if you go for croco. I'd always advise going for the deployant version (and deployant clasp) as they last better due to less pressure being put on the strap when taking the watch on and off. I don; have my latest price list to hand but someone here will have the prices for you - or just call any AD and they'll tell you.

If you want to go custom them there are a million strap sellers and makers out there, although not too many that produce Breitling deployant compatible straps. The best aftermarket place IMO is ABP-Paris as they will make a strap entirely to you spec in a multitude of different leathers, but I'm assuming you are probably not in that place right now in terms of knowledge about what to ask for.

IMO, stick with Breitling OEM. You should also buy from an AD as there aren't too many savings to be had on-line and there are a lot of fakes about. Contact member FEAR or Jnelson3097 (if you are US based) for a decent price from an AD.

I just ordered a shark strap from ABP and bought a Breitling tang on this board which I will use with it. If you know what type he likes, ABP is awesome. Might I also suggest looking at a brown color strap with white stitching PAM-style...it looks really, really sharp. If his wrist is smaller, I would go for a normal tang/buckle rather than a deployment clasp as people with smaller wrist may find them uncomfortable (I do).

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:01 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Hi guys,

Need to know what is ABP-Paris? and What is a Tang?

BTW @ Driver8 - I contacted Justin & he referred me to his AD - Alaina @ Govberg. I just sent her an inquiry.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:06 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
ABP is a manufacturer of after market straps - www.abp-paris.com

Tang is the prong / pin style buckle.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:44 pm 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

Personally I prefer the OEM strap options, especially for a one watch strap/bracelet combo, but I am sure ABP makes a nice strap that can be made to measure.

Depending on whether you want to go croc or calf is really a matter of taste, but I think it is safe to say croc runs dressier while a calf strap would be more casual, so I would look to what his lifestyle entails and go from there.

PS There is a nice never worn OEM brown croc on the FS board at the moment that would look sharp on a blue dial steel fish. :drool: :drool:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:20 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 2 posts
Just one man's dissenting opinion, but I think Breitling OEM straps, as nice as they are, are a bit too refined for the Steelfish. It's a rough-and-tumble watch that begs for a rugged vintage strap like those the many custom strap makers seem to specialize in. Their names are all over the forums, but a few that come immediately to mind are Toshi, Heroic 18, Rob Montana, Stone Creek, Vintager and others I can't think of at the moment.