The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:41 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:31 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 78 posts
As you know B01 supposedly has a power reserve of at least 70 hours. I have a habit of "challenging" my watch by testing it now and then. Recently I decided to test it's Power Reserve. I wound 40 rounds and lay it upright and untouched for 3 days, while checking for it's accuracy once every few hours. End up it stopped after 48 hours. I decided to try a 2nd time because I suspected that I might have wound 40 times but not "40 complete rounds". Since I do not have to worry about overwinding the watch, I wound for about 60 times instead in order to ensure that the watch is fully wound. I then lay it untouched again in upright position, this time round, the watch stopped at the 69th hour. Is it considered an issue for this?

There is also another observation which I think is definitely an issue, but not urgent enough to make me wanna send my watch in immediately. I noticed that if I lay my watch untouched throughout, the watch would be dead accurate at either 1 sec gain or 0 time gain/loss during the first 2 days. However the time will lose about 10 sec during the last 6 hours of the power reserve. Sometimes it might even lose 10 sec in 1 hour during the last 1 or 2 hours of the power reserve. To my understanding time should gain towards the end of the power reserve but instead it's losing above COSC in this case. There was once that I lay the watch untouched and towards the end of the power reserve, when I saw the time losing above COSC specs, I started wearing it again and the time would go back to within COSC specs the next day. So any advice for my situation? Thks for helping

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:57 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
Well the low power reserve first time was obviously because the watch was not fully wound. I wouldn't be concerned about 69 hours - you still don't know if the watch was fully wound - try it with 100 winds, and even if it was the reserve will reduce as the watch ages due to the aging of the oils and the wear on the mainspring - 69 vs. 70 for a non new watch is not an issue.

For the time loss with low power reserve, it's inaccurate to say that a watch "should" gain on low power reserve. All other factors being equal a watch with a low power reserve will gain because the amplitude will drop and the frequency will therefore increase. In the real world there are numerous things that might impact that - friction in the running train is an obvious one that might well show up with the reduced torque that results from a low power reserve, again symptomatic of a watch that is no longer brand new.

Watches don't operate identically for 5 years or so and then suddenly require servicing, they age over time until the degradation of mainspring, hairspring, lubrication, etc reaches a point where the performance under everyday situations makes a service necessary. By observing the watches at the extremes of the reserve you are simply seeing those symptoms earlier than you would through normal wear.

2 people like this post.
PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:46 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Roffensian wrote:
Well the low power reserve first time was obviously because the watch was not fully wound. I wouldn't be concerned about 69 hours - you still don't know if the watch was fully wound - try it with 100 winds, and even if it was the reserve will reduce as the watch ages due to the aging of the oils and the wear on the mainspring - 69 vs. 70 for a non new watch is not an issue.

For the time loss with low power reserve, it's inaccurate to say that a watch "should" gain on low power reserve. All other factors being equal a watch with a low power reserve will gain because the amplitude will drop and the frequency will therefore increase. In the real world there are numerous things that might impact that - friction in the running train is an obvious one that might well show up with the reduced torque that results from a low power reserve, again symptomatic of a watch that is no longer brand new.

Watches don't operate identically for 5 years or so and then suddenly require servicing, they age over time until the degradation of mainspring, hairspring, lubrication, etc reaches a point where the performance under everyday situations makes a service necessary. By observing the watches at the extremes of the reserve you are simply seeing those symptoms earlier than you would through normal wear.

So far no issues with normal wear... Thks Roff for the explanation, new lesson learnt today...

jfdomega likes this post.
PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 9:26 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Roff sorry check with you, technically as a watch ages with time do we need to wind more times in order to fully wind a watch?

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 10:02 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
Chronomat01LE wrote:
Roff sorry check with you, technically as a watch ages with time do we need to wind more times in order to fully wind a watch?

No.

The ability of the mainspring to maintain reserve is impacted as the spring ages, but the number of turns to get the mainspring fully tightened in the barrel is driven by gearing so remains constant.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:17 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 0 post
Hey this is how mine looks like resting with crown up. Before and after demagnetizations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aerospace
Airwolf CF-18 Limited Edition
TrancOcean Chronograph LE (mercury silver dial, brown croc, folding clasp)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:19 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

All three tests were shy of 70 hrs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aerospace
Airwolf CF-18 Limited Edition
TrancOcean Chronograph LE (mercury silver dial, brown croc, folding clasp)

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 6:58 pm 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Roffensian wrote:

very nicely answered, you obviously know your stuff! :bow: