It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:00 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:55 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 32 posts
rlrobson08 wrote:
Driver8 wrote:
Funnily enough I only just mentioned to someone via PM the other day about how we could do with a new project on here. :D

I've got to be honest, but I think that anything other than a watch (or maybe perhaps an office/home clock) would be a missed opportunity. It's been such a long time since we ran a project - 8 years in fact - that I just think that a custom strap or similar just wouldn't be a worthy enough project.

A humidor wouldn't be my thing I'm afraid as I'm not a smoker. A watch winder might be cool if we could get someone like Orbita, Rapport or Wolf, etc on board.... but then again I feel the utility we'd get for the price probably wouldn't be that great.

Personally, I love us to do another Steinhart! I've actually remained an avid follower of Steinhart ever since we did our first project here, and I've owned several over the years since, simply because they offer so much for such a decent price. As a daily driver they're hard to beat. In actual fact, I picked up a new one just a few weeks ago, and I have to say they have improved even more over the years. I had a close look at the dial under both my x5 and x10 loupes and the application of the markers and the printing on mine is absolutely flawless. And I mean genuinely flawless. Plus the ETA 2893 is running within COSC specs.......... and all for £450. They've also gained quite a following over the last 17 years, and our very own Mark II model has become one of the most desired LE's out there, partly because we secured such a low run number - just 20 pieces.

Anyway, I won't ramble on too much, but another Steinhart would be my choice by a country mile.
I'm on board for this. Sorry for the late notice.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Sorry, should say I'm on board for the Steinhart for sure. Other might take more consideration. I did smoke cigars. Have all the expensive paraphernalia minus a humidor but I don't smoke anymore.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:42 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 49 posts
Just putting this out there. My younger brother has a side business making custom Horween leather straps, watch rolls, wallets, etc. He has leather for days. I know projects have been much bigger than that in the past, but a custom cardovan strap would be nice to complement a watch--if the project ends up being a watch.

:lingsrock:

Hunterfate likes this post.
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:47 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

I'm up for a cordovan roll up as well as a Steinhart. True cordovan? We are all on the same page here? Meaning cordovan is a certain leather of a specific animal.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:07 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
mwheatley wrote:
Just putting this out there. My younger brother has a side business making custom Horween leather straps, watch rolls, wallets, etc. He has leather for days. I know projects have been much bigger than that in the past, but a custom cardovan strap would be nice to complement a watch--if the project ends up being a watch.

:thumbsup: I like it!

Site Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:03 am 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

Liked in: 22 posts
strap storage in roll form would also be super from my side

would have to hold lots tho :)

mwheatley likes this post.
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:40 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 49 posts
alex** wrote:
strap storage in roll form would also be super from my side

would have to hold lots tho :)

Breitling dealers have a nice leather folding case that holds different straps for when a customer asks, “Does it come on leather/rubber/etc.?” That might serve as a nice model. I’ll search for an example pic.

Edit: here is one on eBay: [url]https://www.ebay.com/itm/BREITLING-DEALER-JEWELER-FACTORY-SPIFF-SALES-AID-ACCESSORY-WATCH-STRAP-STORAGE-2-/232114673257[url]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:22 pm 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 285 posts
Evening,
I would be interested if it turns out to be a watch.
Colin.

Breitling Chronomat Longitude
Breitling Chronospace automatic
Breitling Navitimer B01
Breitling Skyland Avenger
Breitling Skyracer Automatic
G Shock Work Watch

CGS

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:29 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 71 posts
Driver8 wrote:
mwheatley wrote:

:thumbsup: I like it!

I like that idea as well!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:05 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 1 post
Relatively new to the forum - seems like a great idea... I would be interested in most of the above.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:03 pm 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Liked in: 0 post
know if is fake

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:27 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

medicoeulices wrote:
know if is fake

Eh? :huh

Site Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:01 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 13 posts
In response to your recent Global thread Driver; I though I'd ask a different question. From a watch perspective, given the response numbers are really low, is there even an option to consider a more expensive watch that requires fewer commitments? I know it's always really difficult to meet everyone's tastes but I would really hate to see the projects die altogether. I know they're a lot of work and I'm happy to help (and I'm sure I know the answer :lol: ) so consider this a last ditch effort, Forum projects realty are very cool as you're getting one-of-a-kind timepieces.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:57 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Tim S wrote:
In response to your recent Global thread Driver; I though I'd ask a different question. From a watch perspective, given the response numbers are really low, is there even an option to consider a more expensive watch that requires fewer commitments? I know it's always really difficult to meet everyone's tastes but I would really hate to see the projects die altogether. I know they're a lot of work and I'm happy to help (and I'm sure I know the answer :lol: ) so consider this a last ditch effort, Forum projects realty are very cool as you're getting one-of-a-kind timepieces.

Hi Tim - thanks a lot for the reply and for the idea. Personally I really like the idea of something more expensive with fewer interested buyers required, but as you rightly point out, the more money it is, the more people will want it to absolutely match their requirements. It's a bit of a catch-22 unfortunately.

I think that's why historically the likes of Steinhart have fitted the bill quite nicely here - a quality product and not too expensive, so fairly accessible to all...... but the size of run required (probably at least 30-40 pieces if not more, since Steinhart have quite a following these days) is probably prohibitive given the lack of interest here.

I know Altair is looking at other brands, so maybe one of his discoveries may inspire a smaller number of people to pony up for an LE by a more expensive brand. Of course if you have any ideas of brands who may be up for doing something for us, or may be worth investigating, then let us know. :)

Site Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:40 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Driver8 wrote:
Tim S wrote:
In response to your recent Global thread Driver; I though I'd ask a different question. From a watch perspective, given the response numbers are really low, is there even an option to consider a more expensive watch that requires fewer commitments? I know it's always really difficult to meet everyone's tastes but I would really hate to see the projects die altogether. I know they're a lot of work and I'm happy to help (and I'm sure I know the answer ) so consider this a last ditch effort, Forum projects realty are very cool as you're getting one-of-a-kind timepieces.

Hi Tim - thanks a lot for the reply and for the idea. Personally I really like the idea of something more expensive with fewer interested buyers required, but as you rightly point out, the more money it is, the more people will want it to absolutely match their requirements. It's a bit of a catch-22 unfortunately.

I think that's why historically the likes of Steinhart have fitted the bill quite nicely here - a quality product and not too expensive, so fairly accessible to all...... but the size of run required (probably at least 30-40 pieces if not more, since Steinhart have quite a following these days) is probably prohibitive given the lack of interest here.

I know Altair is looking at other brands, so maybe one of his discoveries may inspire a smaller number of people to pony up for an LE by a more expensive brand. Of course if you have any ideas of brands who may be up for doing something for us, or may be worth investigating, then let us know. :)
Well keep us posted. LOL!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:10 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 71 posts
I am still digging around for options, but would need to see some interest before investing any serious time or effort in this project.

For those not familiar, here is one of the threads that resulted from a previous project, it was well worth the wait and effort, and the price was negligible, less than that of many higher end OEM straps.

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=21709

The journey to get it done will be difficult, but the result will be well worth it!