The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 6:40 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:49 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 71 posts
Given that our esteemed team of admins allow it, what would you like to have as our next forum project? We have done watches and straps, we can definitely do that again but if you have something on your mind do chime in.

Personally, I am thinking a well made custom clock for the home or office. Maybe even a pocket watch, though that is less useful.

I do have one very special idea, I have a relationship with the worlds finest humidor maker, who I have commissioned in the past to do some truely amazing pieces for me. But I am not sure how many cigar smokers we have here. It’s a shame the art of cigar smoking has gone the way of the pocket watch.

Anyway, chime in with your ideas please. I will give this one my best to compensate for my absence.

Last edited by Altair on Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Driver8 likes this post.
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:35 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 370 posts
I second the humidor idea! It is a shame that our society (certain states in the United States which will soon include New York) will allow people to smoke marijuana recreationally but ostracizes those who wish to smoke a cigar in public!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:07 am 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

Liked in: 22 posts
custom strap box or watch box or winders?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 3:17 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
Funnily enough I only just mentioned to someone via PM the other day about how we could do with a new project on here. :D

I've got to be honest, but I think that anything other than a watch (or maybe perhaps an office/home clock) would be a missed opportunity. It's been such a long time since we ran a project - 8 years in fact - that I just think that a custom strap or similar just wouldn't be a worthy enough project.

A humidor wouldn't be my thing I'm afraid as I'm not a smoker. A watch winder might be cool if we could get someone like Orbita, Rapport or Wolf, etc on board.... but then again I feel the utility we'd get for the price probably wouldn't be that great.

Personally, I love us to do another Steinhart! :thumbsup: I've actually remained an avid follower of Steinhart ever since we did our first project here, and I've owned several over the years since, simply because they offer so much for such a decent price. As a daily driver they're hard to beat. In actual fact, I picked up a new one just a few weeks ago, and I have to say they have improved even more over the years. I had a close look at the dial under both my x5 and x10 loupes and the application of the markers and the printing on mine is absolutely flawless. And I mean genuinely flawless. Plus the ETA 2893 is running within COSC specs.......... and all for £450. They've also gained quite a following over the last 17 years, and our very own Mark II model has become one of the most desired LE's out there, partly because we secured such a low run number - just 20 pieces.

Anyway, I won't ramble on too much, but another Steinhart would be my choice by a country mile. :thumbsup:

Site Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:17 am 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 408 posts
This sounds awesome and I would love to get involved in a watch or something custom. Haven't been around long enough to have experienced the older forum projects but would absolutely be interested in doing one.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 10:58 am 
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Liked in: 343 posts
My watch budget was blown on the SOHC so unfortunately I can't participate in anything this year.

Visit them on the web at http://www.govbergwatches.com or call 800-528-8463

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 10:06 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 370 posts
Driver, maybe it's time to reach out to Crepas and or Tactico again. I have some of their watches and some can be hard to beat for the price. They have had some issues in the past but I feel that they are behind them now1

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 3:15 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

56scooter wrote:
Driver, maybe it's time to reach out to Crepas and or Tactico again.

Yes I'd be more than happy to contact them again if the project looks like a goer this time around (and if it turns out to be a watch of course)..... but at the moment we've had just 5 replies from 156 views of this thread (and 524 views of the global thread directing people to this one!), and that was just asking for ideas and a register of interest in doing something! :lol:

But if something does go ahead, the man Altair has some potentially great ideas that I'm sure he'll share in due course. :thumbsup:

Site Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 3:33 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 408 posts
Just out of curiosity, how many people are generally needed to get something off the ground?

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 4:06 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

natesen wrote:
Just out of curiosity, how many people are generally needed to get something off the ground?

It kind of depends on what the project is. If it's a watch, we'd probably need quite a few. For our first watch project, we got away with just 15 pieces. For our second one less than a year later, we had to take a minimum of 20 pieces. That was 8 years ago, and as time goes on (and as brands become more successful) the minimum order number is likely to be much higher. Obviously interest can come from outside this forum as well, but I think we'd need a decent core of interest here to make anything worthwhile.

If it turns out to be a custom strap, or a watch-box, or a winder or something, then I would expect a much lesser number would be required due to the reduced complexity of production. But I'm just guessing....

Site Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:40 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 0 post
This may be a stupid idea, but could we get a hold of enough vintage breitling parts (cases or faces) to make a vintage/homage breitling watch? Maybe use a different less expensive modern movement or some other vintage movement.

I know there are some great vintage breitling members on here.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:27 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

anodyne13 wrote:
This may be a stupid idea, but could we get a hold of enough vintage breitling parts (cases or faces) to make a vintage/homage breitling watch? Maybe use a different less expensive modern movement or some other vintage movement.

I know there are some great vintage breitling members on here.

Thanks a lot for posting up an original idea, but I foresee a few issues - firstly getting hold of enough parts to do a number of watches would be a problem as people often find it tough to pick up pieces to fix up one watch, let alone enough to build a number from scratch. And secondly (and most importantly I think) I'd be extremely wary that we'd be making, at best, a Frankenwatch, and at worst, something that could be construed as a fake.

This one's not going to fly I'm afraid, but thanks again for an original idea.

Site Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:48 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 13 posts
I'd be highly interested! Miss the old projects. As for ideas: any and all: watch (another Steinhart would be great); strap; clock; pocket watch (always wanted one although I agree less useful); humidor would be fun (although I smoke sparingly); a strap or watch box is also a great idea....I'll give it some more thought but again I'd be up for almost anything, especially another watch.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:33 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 32 posts
Driver8 wrote:
Funnily enough I only just mentioned to someone via PM the other day about how we could do with a new project on here. :D

I've got to be honest, but I think that anything other than a watch (or maybe perhaps an office/home clock) would be a missed opportunity. It's been such a long time since we ran a project - 8 years in fact - that I just think that a custom strap or similar just wouldn't be a worthy enough project.

A humidor wouldn't be my thing I'm afraid as I'm not a smoker. A watch winder might be cool if we could get someone like Orbita, Rapport or Wolf, etc on board.... but then again I feel the utility we'd get for the price probably wouldn't be that great.

Personally, I love us to do another Steinhart! I've actually remained an avid follower of Steinhart ever since we did our first project here, and I've owned several over the years since, simply because they offer so much for such a decent price. As a daily driver they're hard to beat. In actual fact, I picked up a new one just a few weeks ago, and I have to say they have improved even more over the years. I had a close look at the dial under both my x5 and x10 loupes and the application of the markers and the printing on mine is absolutely flawless. And I mean genuinely flawless. Plus the ETA 2893 is running within COSC specs.......... and all for £450. They've also gained quite a following over the last 17 years, and our very own Mark II model has become one of the most desired LE's out there, partly because we secured such a low run number - just 20 pieces.

Anyway, I won't ramble on too much, but another Steinhart would be my choice by a country mile.
I'm on board for this. Sorry for the late notice.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:13 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 37 posts
hi,

i'd be interested, depending on what it is and the estimated budget...

humidor or quality watch winder or home/office desk clock might work for me but like even better the idea of a pocket watch! that would be really original!

cheers,
pg

Mark Twain

- -- - -- -

Navitimer World
Avenger Seawolf
SuperOcean
Crosswind Special
Headwind
Montbrillant Datora
SuperOcean Heritage 46

Last edited by DreamWatcher on Wed May 01, 2019 6:14 am, edited 1 time in total.