The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:14 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Custom watch logo ideas
PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 2:47 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 71 posts
Just thought I would through this out.

As we will not have the Breitlingsource.com logo or text anyplace on the watch, I was thinking we might add our own touch. Please go ahead and propose yoru idea for group discussion.

Personally, I would love to do a simple decal of the RSAF Tornado and dedicate to that plane. Always have been a fan and my cousin is a pilot in the RSAF so...

Anyway, here are the pics and a blueprint for the decal

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:21 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 1 post
Not a fan really being from the states and all. What if we did a "common interest" plan. Like maybe the one on the front of the 2009 Breitling Chronolog? It kinda states what our main forum interest is without putting Breitling all over it.

ImageImage

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:08 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
I have no problem with a generic plane-based logo, although personally I'd rather have it on the case-back rather than the dial (assuming we have a solid back and not a DB of course! :wink: ).

Personally I think we probably need to avoid being too "country specific" (especially in terms of anything military) as this is a multi-national undertaking, and that potentially even rules out types of plane. For example while the Tomcat may be great for all us Top Gun fans, it's generally way too American. The Spitfire might be a great traditional fighter plane, but it's way too British. Tricky one......

I'd almost be tempted to go with something more historical. How about something based around the Bell X-1 (the Chuck Yeager piloted plane that was the first to break the sound-barrier)? Yes he was American, but it was a groundbreaking world aviation event. Just an idea.......

This watch could be the "Steinhart X-1 LE". :)

Site Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:16 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

I knew I would get shot down, but thought I would give it a go....

The decal would definitely be a case back ,no display back as we are getting the 7750 movement rather than the beautiful Lemania, and with the smaller size of the 7750 all that extra space in a large sized watch would mean allot of empty space which would be filled with steel and I understand that is not attractive so they do not do that.

I personally have no issue with American or British planes, and I am sure Americans would not mind a British plane or vise versa (right?)

I do understand the political undertones of my original suggestion might offend some potential buyers, certinely do not mean anything by it and it was just an idea I had. Sorry if I put someone off.....

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:28 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 0 post
Just a stupid thought probably but what about a Harrier jet? Weren't these used by the British, Germans, Americans and I believe also by NATO? Seems somewhat international.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:48 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
Altair wrote:
I knew I would get shot down, but thought I would give it a go....

The decal would definitely be a case back ,no display back as we are getting the 7750 movement rather than the beautiful Lemania, and with the smaller size of the 7750 all that extra space in a large sized watch would mean allot of empty space which would be filled with steel and I understand that is not attractive so they do not do that.

I personally have no issue with American or British planes, and I am sure Americans would not mind a British plane or vise versa (right?)

I do understand the political undertones of my original suggestion might offend some potential buyers, certinely do not mean anything by it and it was just an idea I had. Sorry if I put someone off.....

Sorry if it seemed like I was shooting that down Altair - not my intention at all. I just think something of historical significance would appeal more than a specific modern fighter. A modern fighter is great if it's your squadron (or in your case if your cousin flies them), but without any particular allegiance to the specific plane it becomes a bit too random IMO.

The other option of course is to go with a very generic silhouette of a fighter (it could look a lot like the Tornado I guess), that is not necessarily a specific model - just a cypher for aviation.

However if it was a vote I'd personally go with something of historical aviation importance - the Bell X-1, or how about the Douglas World Cruiser (the first plane to circumnavigate the globe - 1924 I think). That might be apt as this is a global forum and we will hopefully get buyers from around the globe......

Just ideas guys.

Site Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:56 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Oh no not at all, fully understood what you meant!

I like X-1 Idea.

Quick note, this does not have to be military aviation. It can be about civilian aviation, space flight, astronomical or scientific landmarks. Whatever, if you have an idea let's hear it!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:17 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
If we want an aviation theme without being too specigic, how about a plane feature.

Propellers have already been used, as have turbine blades, but something similarly aviation related may be appropriate. Either that or an iconic piece of aviation history that spans the globe - a milestone plane like Driver8's suggestion of the X-1. It could be anything from Montpellier's baloon, through the Wright flier, or any of the other major milestones right up to the modern day - there are so many to choose from I'm sure that we can find something agreeable to all.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:31 am 
Contributing Misery Guts
Contributing Misery Guts

Didn't we have a similar thing going with a Ling LE? Surely we can use something from that as it does not state Breitling. We also had some very good designs when we were looking for AM designs in another thread. Maybe we could look to see if any planes were introduced the same year as the site was started?

Mart

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:31 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

OOOH! OOH! I HAVE IT!

I was raking my brain thinking of an idea and I remembered an event we can commemorate that would please everyone I am sure!!!!!

The first non-stop flight around the world! Now that is an important event I would say! And the feat was achieved by Bertrand Piccard and Brian Jones, from.........Switzerland! Doesn't get anymore neutral than that and....the case back will be protecting a Swiss made movement!

Now here is the deal sealer, the name of the baloon was: The Breitling Orbiter III

Huh? huh? discreet, international, significant, and a nice little nod to the origins of this group buy!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breitling_Orbiter

Orbitter LE anyone?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:33 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Like the idea..Just dont know if I want a balloon on my watch? Just a thought..Will wait to see responses of others! Do have to say though nice tie in!

ImageImage

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:35 am 
Contributing Misery Guts
Contributing Misery Guts

I would LOVE a balloon :oops: Seriously :lingsrock:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:41 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

GZGym1 wrote:
Like the idea..Just dont know if I want a balloon on my watch? Just a thought..Will wait to see responses of others! Do have to say though nice tie in!

Oh come on!! You cant have anything against a fricking balloon can you?? :lol:

The graphic would be on the case back, and it does not have to be a baloon. Can be a picture of the globe with a sphere orbiting it.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:43 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Are we going to have to box this one out? I call a KO by me in first 30 seconds of Round 1! HAHA Kidding. It was just a thought didnt know if a balloon would be a little lets say..kiddish looking? Just a thought lets keep hearing feedback

ImageImage

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:50 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

I am 1 meter 82 cm tall and weight 145 Killos of pure kill, bring it ON!
:lol:

Seriously, i get what you mean, but no it would be done in a very somber way. Something like this

http://graphicleftovers.com/images/memb ... ermark.jpg

Though this is pretty serious too

http://www.geekologie.com/2007/04/darth ... alloon.jpg

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next