Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:59 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: entry level for my wife
PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 7:49 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 0 post
I'm trying to get some ideas for something for my wife. I don't want to spend a ton of $$ as over the years she has lost a watch (set it down while sunning) and baked one. Yes baked it. It came off when she was putting something in the oven and didn't notice it until she took out the finished item. Right now she mostly wears a Swatch Skin, extremely light and thin but I was thinking of something else for her. She also don't care for a lot of bling so a diamond crusted watch is not her style.

She is also on a don't buy new kick at the moment so used is fine. Brand is open, my choices would likely not be hers ;-)

Ideas?

Special knowledge can be a terrible disadvantage if it leads you too far along a path that you cannot explain anymore.
Frank Herbert 'Dune'

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 7:53 am 
King of Ling
King of Ling

hseldon wrote:
I'm trying to get some ideas for something for my wife. I don't want to spend a ton of $$ as over the years she has lost a watch (set it down while sunning) and baked one. Yes baked it. It came off when she was putting something in the oven and didn't notice it until she took out the finished item. Right now she mostly wears a Swatch Skin, extremely light and thin but I was thinking of something else for her. She also don't care for a lot of bling so a diamond crusted watch is not her style.

She is also on a don't buy new kick at the moment so used is fine. Brand is open, my choices would likely not be hers ;-)

Ideas?

love these for the wife Omega Ladies Constellation Watch or a Callistino like the one I just sold

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 8:16 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
Well from the Breitling stable a Lady J is not too dressy (at least in steel) and can be had for a reaonable price.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 8:47 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

I was kinda looking at one of those. What price range should I expect one to be in? She is very practical (which allows me my toys ;-) and if I handed her a $1-2k watch she'd wonder why we didn't do something else with the money.

Special knowledge can be a terrible disadvantage if it leads you too far along a path that you cannot explain anymore.
Frank Herbert 'Dune'

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 9:26 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
hseldon wrote:
I was kinda looking at one of those. What price range should I expect one to be in? She is very practical (which allows me my toys ;-) and if I handed her a $1-2k watch she'd wonder why we didn't do something else with the money.

Certainly nearer $1,000 than $2,000, and potentially less.

Keep an eye on this one - even if you don't want it it'll provide a current value.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Breitling-J-Class-Q ... 240%3A1308

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:01 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Yeah I'm watching that. I put in a bid earlier just to get my hands wet. I think that a classy watch without being to overboard. I like the gold & blue, I've been looking at a rose gold blue banded watch at the AD's, Chronomat Evolution similar to this http://tinyurl.com/cr with a blue dial, but I'm not ready to plunk down that kind of change. I haven't had a job that paid that well for quite some years, 9/11 dropped me by about 65%/yr until just the last couple of years.

anyway I digress. It's refreshing to think that I was on the right track by looking at that watch. Interesting how we just had a conversation about the J-Class yachts when this ladies J-Class came up.

----
oh to funny, here I am wondering how much I should spend on a watch for my wife and then she comes home with my daughter after shopping for a prom dress. And she further informs me that the daily limit on the debit card is to low. And the dress still requires a trip to the seamstress to get it to fit right. I'll never understand it.

Frank Herbert 'Dune'

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:32 am 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

Liked in: 22 posts
i have a brand new fendi watch i am selling for a friend, she bout it for her sister but before she gave it to her she got told 'it makes me feel bad when you buy me expensive stuff' so she though screw it ill sell it.

i can post pics and she is only looking for £400 i think the rrp is close to £900 comes with all papers etc

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 3:25 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

It never hurts to look ;-)

Frank Herbert 'Dune'

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 4:47 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 414 posts
sonyman wrote:
hseldon wrote:

Ideas?

love these for the wife Omega Ladies Constellation Watch or a Callistino like the one I just sold

I agree about the Constellations. That was the first quality watch I got my wife and it was a vintage watch off ebay. The Breitling Wings I also got her off ebay when she got a job promotion. Not bad for $750 with all papers and boxes! Of course, what does she wear the most? A little black faced quartz watch I gave her that I got in a box of flea market watches. I was going to toss it and she said "wait!" Women, go figure.

Paul

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 12:27 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Omega Mini Constellation with diamond markers and MOP dial. This is the one she wears most, even over the Breitling B class I got her this Valentines day.

Eastern AATS
Ft. Indiantown Gap
Annville, PA

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:03 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

I like that Constellation, very classy. What she wears now is a Swatch 'Skin' That I grabbed from the Airmall on a flight back from Germany a few years back. I think she likes it because its almost non existent.

Here is a link to the watch:
http://tinyurl.com/d9ago9

Anyway I'd like to get her something a bit nicer even if I have to do some searching. Now why I want to buy a watch for a woman who left one at the beach and who also BAKED one, I'll never know. I think she is afraid to have a decent watch for fear of losing it or something, but two watches in 20 years isn't to bad.

I like the J-Class, in fact I like that so much I've been keeping my eye out for one for me :-)

Anyway while writing this I ran across one of these (ladies Movado) but I know nothing about them.
http://tinyurl.com/c96bjo

It looks plain enough she shouldn't complain, It's quite dirty but I've been practicing on a Colt I picked up recently. And she can't complain about something that cheap, can she??? I never can tell, no matter how long I live.

Frank Herbert 'Dune'

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:01 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 1 post
I also think Tissot makes some classy rich looking entry level watches for ladies

ImageImage

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 4:31 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Tissot does make a very attractive, heavy, nice watch, almost bought one, but really wanted a Ling
so decided that would be a waste of money!

I ended up with the B Class, predeccessor to the Cockpit - love it and can be found reasonable
slightly worn. Beautiful watch, more elegant than J in my opinion.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 6:37 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Yes that is a nice watch and the MOP would be pretty nice, used is great ;-) as she's on a vintage kick right now. I'm not so sure how happy she would be with the diamonds, as she tends to like her jewelry a bit more understated, subtle. And the B-Class doesn't seem to be quite that.

Right now there are a couple of J-Class watches, Black bezel, mens & woman's, on ebray that would make a nice pair. Put bids in at the low end a couple of days past. We'll see where they go as I'd like to end up with a pair. Although I like the Blue a bit better so I may wait as I'm not so excited to go high. If the market (my market) were better then I might not be so price aware.

I've also looked at a couple of Tissots and a Rado as some of the older models look pretty nice and Tissot seems to have quite a few options in MOP dials. I'm really enjoying the feedback as it's got me thinking along different lines and also more what might she like than what might I like ;-)

Frank Herbert 'Dune'

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 6:53 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 1 post
Let us know what you choos! Im sure we would all love to see some pics also! maybe some wrist shots on your wrist and hers if you end up with a pair?

ImageImage