Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:27 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 4:05 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 0 post
Hi all...

Looking for my first Breitling and would love some advice. I am looking for a 30cm watch, so I assume I have 2 options...a Galactic or a Windrider. I prefer a diamond face, but rider tab bezel.

I like the face of this Galatic, but hate the bezel. Can I swap the bezel from a Windrider (likely impossible to find!)? If not, why?
http://www.jomashop.com/breitling-ladie ... 679ss.html

Otherwise, I am leaning towards finding this Windrider, but with a standard rider tab bezel. I prefer having roman numerals at the corners, but I think I would have to acquiesce on that point as I don't think Windrider has a Diamond/Roman numeral bezel (please do let me know if I am mistaken!!!)
http://www.jomashop.com/breitling-watch ... -b798.html
Unfortunately, there was one a few weeks back on Chrono24, but I hesitated (wasn't sure what a good price was, and it was an overseas seller) and I lost it :cry:

Also, can an individual change out the bezel? A diamond bezel might be nice for fancy occasions...but for me, I would feel uncomfortable on a day-to-day basis....just too blingy.

Thanks!

PS....If it helps, Colts (don't like the numbers font), Cockpits (too big) and Callistinos (too small) are not options.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 4:19 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
Welcome to BreitlingSource.

I would stick to a 30mm watch, 30cm may be a bit too much :lol:

The Starliner (what you refer to as the Windrider) and the Galactic 30 are essentially the same watch with different bezels and they are interchangeable, they are simply held on with screws. However, Breitling isn't particularly accommodating of such changes so you would want to put the original bezel back on before sending for servicing. As you say, sourcing a separate bezel may be difficult - Breitling won't sell you one.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:36 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

I obviously did not have my morning coffee, as I messed up both the names and the sizes. Oh, my...and thank you for being gentle with your correction.

Roff..thank you for the confirmation. I had asked the AD about this, and of course, they said no :(

Would this fit both the Jomashop starliner and the galatic 30? I wondered only because it says 32.5, while the model number is correct for the starliner.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BREITLING-LADIE ... 3a9710039b

I am assuming I would be better off buying a watch with the factory diamond bezel and buying a replacement stainless one, rather than vice versa...would the collective forum agree?

Finally, what year did they increase the size of the Galactic from 30 to 32? Or is it the same watch? I much prefer the 30 size (even though I have slightly bigger wrists than a lot of ladies).

Thanks in advance....

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:42 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

There are both Galactic 30 (formerly Starliner) and Galactic 32 (formerly Cockpit Lady). The eBay listing could be any bezel, it's impossible to tell from that photo. Breitling factory diamond bezels will be far superior quality than aftermarket, although of course you will also pay for that.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 5:41 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Thank you Roff....your knowledge is quite helpful.

So here is another question. I love the (what I believe is the) Marine Blue MOP dial, but wish they had Roman Numerals
http://cdn.chrono24.com/images/uhren/im ... 03.jpg?v=1

But I do also like what I believe is the newer, Roman numeral dial...but the dial seems 'flatter'
http://www.chrono24.com/en/breitling/st ... dOrNew=new

So, my question is, did they make a Marine Blue MOP Roman numeral dial? (so I know whether to waste my time trying to find one).

Thank you!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:19 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

The second one with the 'race track' dial and the romans is a plainer dial than the older version - the metal track taking the place of some of the dial finishing. There was a blue with romans version, but I believe that it was only a full roman - i.e. no diamond markers just the numerals.

Also remember that this version was only available for a short period and ladies Breitlings are not big sellers so there is very limited supply available in any specific combination.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 8:04 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Roff....your knowledge is unbelievably helpful...I can't thank you enough.

I can only find the blue rack track with diamond markers in two tone...so it's good to know that I'm not crazy!
http://www.chrono24.com/en/breitling/st ... -mod19.htm

Unfortunately, I don't care for the two tone...I thought about buying this and replacing both the bezel and bracelet...but it just seems ridiculous to change a watch so much...

So it looks like I will have to choose between blue MOP or a black race track.

Again, thank you so much...

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 8:28 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

There is also a white / silver race track version I believe.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:24 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Roff...yes, it looks like there are some with black and white..but not a big fan of the silver bracelet and white combo.

So, I may have found a candidate from the EU. From what I can tell, it's new with an international warranty card, but no other boxes or papers. The website did not have any pictures of the inside of the warranty card or the back of the watch (which I am going to ask for prior to purchase) but from what I can tell, it looks genuine. I hate to buy outside the US, but this model seems to be pretty rare. So, once again, can I tap your fountain of wisdom:

1. Can you confirm it's genuine?
2. I assume if I purchase this, I would be missing the box, tag, manual and COSO certificate...is this correct?
3. Am I correct in assuming the warranty is the key item?
4. If yes, how do I determine it's origin of sale to get copies of the missing paperwork (I understand BUSA won't do this with non US watches).

Thank you so much!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:51 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

It's real. Assuming that the diamonds are factory there should a warranty, diamond certificate, user manual, COSC certificate, inner and outer box and hang tag. Hang tag is often retained by an AD, and the warranty is the key. Warranty is two years from original sale so may, or may not still be valid. An undated warranty is problematic because Breitling can deny coverage without an original sale date.

The COSC can be reordered through Breitling, manuals, boxes and papers can be found on eBay or through ADs, but they aren't particularly relevant to resale value on pieces like this. If the warranty isn't stamped with a dealer stamp to establish where sold (which it should be) then contact Breitling directly. BUSA have no right to be so unhelpful, but that's BUSA for you.

Depending on where you are in the US, don't forget to factor sales tax and import duty in to the equation - no idea what they might be as I am not US based.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 4:47 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Roff, thank you for the response. Wouldn't you know, I emailed the Marine blue buyer (since I could only find it on a German website) and I didn't hear back...and I started to get nervous since it was on a german website, but the watch was in Spain, and the email address was a Mailboxes R Us kinda place...

So I, on a fluke, put in a lowball bid on a baby blue one with all papers and COSO...and I got it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181574230348?_t ... 558.R1.TR4

For $2500, figure I can't go wrong. And who knows, maybe I'll get a Marine blue one with all the papers on a future go-round. Or maybe this one when the price comes down. http://www.ebay.com/itm/331143000642?_t ... fresh=true

Thanks SO much for all your help....could not have done it without you! And I'll make sure to post pics when it arrives :)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 5:05 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Congratulations - wear it in health!