Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:01 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:22 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 1 post
Greetings from Vancouver!
After owning my Aeromarine Avenger Skyland Blacksteel Limited Edition 1166/2000 for just over a month, I would like to express my gratitude and enthusiasm for this watch:
This is the first chronograph I have owned. In this case, everything that is said about the Breitling 13 movement is true, and more. The accuracy has been about +1 second per day, which I never thought possible on an automatic. I have only reset it twice. I check the time on a daily basis with my computer, and am always amazed when they both hit the full minutes at the same time!
This has to be the most aesthetically pleasing watch I have ever owned, or even seen. I suppose there is the perfect watch for everyone, and I guess this is the one for me. I think I am probably in the minority, but the Diver Pro strap seems the ultimate in good looks for this model. It is superbly comfortable, and because it is rubber I can have it a bit loose and it does not slide around. I realize Breitling probably had many other options for straps and bracelets, and there are probably many reasons for them choosing to use the Diver Pro for this model.
For a watch of this quality, Limited Edition or otherwise, I believe it is superb value. Had it not been around this price range, I probably would never have been able to own a Limited Edition watch in my entire life. I also believe that the entire Avenger Skyland line is wonderful value, and overall the most beautiful model line of guys' watches I have ever seen.
I am still unsure whether the black steel is just a coating or not. However, I have already had a couple of scratches/dings on the metal and even through a magnifying glass I can see only black steel. I rather doubt that the types of dings and scratches on my Blacksteel will go any deeper than this. I don't baby my watches, and I work with machinery all day every day. I did the same with the SuperOcean I had for ten years, which I wore every day. It did get scratched, but it still looked great after ten years. As I did with the SuperOcean for ten years, my Blacksteel gets a "bath" in Sunlight dish detergent weekly, and sparkles when I dry it.
The detail in the watch is amazing. I love the red hands on the subdials, and the red numbering around the sides of the dial. The black steel on the clasp is a great touch. Normally, by this time I would have scratches all over the clasp, but with the black steel treatment I have none.
The white hands, white calendar background, white numerals, and white painted wings on the dial complement each other beautifully. The crown and push pins are incredibly easy to grasp and use. (I wish I could say the same for the crown on my Steelfish! That is the only thing about the Steelfish I would change). Of course, since getting the Blacksteel, I have not worn the Steelfish.
To think about the months (almost a year) that I took to search for the perfect replacement for my SuperOcean of ten years, and I actually passed up the first one of two that my AD received! The first time I saw it and tried it on, I suppose it was such a departure from the "normal" Breitlings that my brain couldn't quite accept it, so I kept looking. By the time they received the second one, I had bought a Steelfish and was looking at the Blackbird and Bentley 6.75, to purchase in a couple of years for my 60th birthday. However, something about this watch the second time spoke loudly to me, and the day after I tried it on, I phoned my AD and put a deposit on it, and picked it up after work.
Now I cannot believe how fortunate I am to have this watch. I still go window shopping on the weekends, just as some people go looking at cars, and it is so satisfying to know that there is nothing I see that I like better!
Anyhow, thanks to all of you, especially the founder of this forum, for all the support and fun you have given me. I continue to check this forum out at least twice a day, and just love the time I spend here. I participate in a couple of other forums as well, but this one is simply the best, where I feel the most welcome, and feels like home to me!
Please pardon the super-long post, but it really feels good to be able to express my sincere enthusiasm!
Cheers,
Carl

minhc88 likes this post.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 4:45 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
No need to apologise for the length of post Carl! It's great to see someone passionate about their Breitling! :thumbsup: And let's be honest, most of our other halves don't understand, so we need the outlet somewhere! :lol:

Site Moderator

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:08 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 0 post
It's write-up's like that keep me checking this forum every day. I love to hear the excitement you have for your watch.

You know in a weird way, I now equate that model Breitling with you, Carl. You ARE the Blacksteel guy, which is pretty cool. It's hard for me to see that model and not think of Vancouver.

I think you deserved an early birthday present :wink: I hope you continue to enjoy your timepiece in good health!

Coral Club Founding Father
:coralclub:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:29 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Liked in: 18 posts
I love hearing the excitement in your post! It reminds me of that wonderful feeling I get when a new watch lands in my lap. Glad you are enjoying your blacksteel!!! :lingsrock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:02 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Carlhaluss,

I really enjoy hearing others share their passion for watches.

Great post! and thanks for sharing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 12:58 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 19 posts
MoreCowbell wrote:
It's write-up's like that keep me checking this forum every day. I love to hear the excitement you have for your watch.

You know in a weird way, I now equate that model Breitling with you, Carl. You ARE the Blacksteel guy, which is pretty cool. It's hard for me to see that model and not think of Vancouver.

I think you deserved an early birthday present :wink: I hope you continue to enjoy your timepiece in good health!

I completely agree! Good work Carl!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 10:30 pm 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Carl,

Nice write up! Good things come to those who wait.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 4:12 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Carl,

Great write-up. I saw a picture of the Blacksteel and was mesmerized by it. I was so awestruck it was all I could think about or talk about with other 'watch people". I could not find one, and probably could not afford one, but it did turn me onto the Skyland to the point I sold my Cosmonaut (which I thought would be with me forever) to buy one. I now have the Skyland with blue dial and expect to wear it forever. I understand your excitement totatlly. Wear it with pride.

Post subject: Blacksteel Envy.
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 1:11 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Enjoyed the hands-on review Carl. Seems like we have had the same taste in watches lately, ie(Steelfish) I was eager to hear about your experience with the Blacksteel. Man I want one now. Seriously, I think you need to stop waving cheese in front of this mouse. I'm already in debt from the last purchase.
I WISH YOU MANY YEARS OF HAPPINESS W/THAT WATCH.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:37 pm 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

T-Man - Tell me about it.

WAY TO GO CARL. We non-blacksteel owners are envious :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:39 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Top stuff, a great read!

Panerai 112, Black Leather (Soon Hopefully!)

:fulllingclub:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:45 am 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 2 posts
Blacksteel is sweet, but I would be curious as to how to care for it.

I'm glad you are enjoying the new piece!

~Brian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:40 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
My turn to say thanks - to carlhaluss.

Prior to reading this post I had never even considered a blacksteel. Reading this at the same time that I was thinking about a summer casual watch really got me thinking, and as most people will know from my other posts I now own one. It's totally different to my other Breitlings, but it is an absolutely stunning watch. I also feel like it is the best deal that I have ever got for any watch (seeing them sell on eBay for $1,400 more than I paid is a nice feeling).

Thanks carlhaluss for planting the seed in my mind!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 7:28 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 1 post
Hey Roffensian,
Sorry I did not read your reply to my posting about the Blacksteel until today - almost a month since your reply.
I certainly hope that you are getting the same pleasure out of your's as I am! I find that as it's black, it is more subdued than most of the other Breitling models, and does not get as much attention. I get the odd sideways curious glance sometimes, but really only one person has asked what type of watch it is. That's just fine, though. It is really only important that I like it.
I personally like it just the way it is, with the Diver Pro strap.
Anyway, have a great summer and enjoy it!
Cheers,
Carl

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 4:53 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
carlhaluss wrote:
Hey Roffensian,
Sorry I did not read your reply to my posting about the Blacksteel until today - almost a month since your reply.
I certainly hope that you are getting the same pleasure out of your's as I am! I find that as it's black, it is more subdued than most of the other Breitling models, and does not get as much attention. I get the odd sideways curious glance sometimes, but really only one person has asked what type of watch it is. That's just fine, though. It is really only important that I like it.
I personally like it just the way it is, with the Diver Pro strap.
Anyway, have a great summer and enjoy it!
Cheers,
Carl

I'm loving it - wasn't my planned summer watch, but am really glad I got it. I agree, it doesn't get the same attention as other Breitlings, but I don't wear my watches for other people, I wear them for myself.

Someone once said to me that Breitlings are worn by people who don't care whether other people notice - an odd comment given some of the styling, but I know exactly what he meant.