Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:44 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:20 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Liked in: 0 post
Hi Folks,
I just purchased a new Navitimer (46) with B1 movement today and maybe someone who already has one can answer a question relating to the winding crown?

According to the instruction manual on the 'preparation for use' page 15, it states that when the time/date functions are carried out, the crown has to be pushed back into position1, which I have done. However, the crown will still rotate - it doesn't screw in tight against the watch case. Is this normal please?

I have two seawolfs and a super avenger and the crowns of all of these watches tighten up against the casings.

If someone could take the time to enlighten me on this matter, it would be immensely appreciated.

Thank you,
Wayne.

Rolex Submariner c

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:05 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
Perfectly normal, there is now screw down crown on Navitimers because they have virtually no water resistance anyway. Position 1 is the position the watch is in for winding so if it didn't rotate you could have problems!

Welcome to BreitlingSource.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:07 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 370 posts
The crown on a navitimer does screw down and tighten like those on an avenger series. The navitimer crown will simply push back against the case. When you pull it out there are two stops, the first will let you set the date and the second stop, which is when you pull the crown all the way out will allow you to set the time. The lack of a screw down crown is the prime reason for the lack of water resistance in the navitimer line versus that of the avenger series! Good luck with the new watch!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 1:46 pm 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Much obliged Roffensian and 56scooter for taking the time and trouble to respond so promptly - I thought there was something wrong and if so, wanted to take it back asap.

It's truly a nice looking watch, but personally I can't see where the money is, with the seawolf and avenger costing about half of the price - in fact I still may go for a refund - seriously thinking about it (lol)

Once again gentlemen, many thanks for your help.

Kind regards,
Wayne.

Rolex Submariner c

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:59 pm 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

Liked in: 1719 posts
56scooter wrote:
The lack of a screw down crown is the prime reason for the lack of water resistance in the navitimer line versus that of the avenger series!

Just to offer a slightly different view -- I think that the prime reason for the lack of water resistance in the Navitimer line is due to the nature of the rotating bezel. I say this because the Transocean Chronograph, like the Navitimer, does not have a screw-down crown -- yet, it has a WR of 100M. :)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 3:54 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
Moana43 wrote:
56scooter wrote:
The lack of a screw down crown is the prime reason for the lack of water resistance in the navitimer line versus that of the avenger series!

Just to offer a slightly different view -- I think that the prime reason for the lack of water resistance in the Navitimer line is due to the nature of the rotating bezel. I say this because the Transocean Chronograph, like the Navitimer, does not have a screw-down crown -- yet, it has a WR of 100M. :)

Correct. Navitimer has no need for a screw down crown due to lack of water resistance from other factors, predominantly the slip on bezel. WR is not limited by the absence of a screw down crown.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:16 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 28 posts
way1 wrote:
Much obliged Roffensian and 56scooter for taking the time and trouble to respond so promptly - I thought there was something wrong and if so, wanted to take it back asap.

It's truly a nice looking watch, but personally I can't see where the money is, with the seawolf and avenger costing about half of the price - in fact I still may go for a refund - seriously thinking about it (lol)

Once again gentlemen, many thanks for your help.

Kind regards,
Wayne.

Wayne,
I think your value may be in the finer differences. Navitimer is the iconic Breitling watch to start. You also pay for the in house movement, which certainly adds quite a bit to the overall cost, along with other attributes perhaps the Seawolf or Avenger may not offer. Sometimes it just boils down to personal preference as well. Just my humble $.02.
Welcome to the forum.

J

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:54 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

I would agree with you, DocJPO1980 - the additional cost would be in the attributes you mention. It was just difficult for me to see it when I first got the watch, but after thinking about it, I've decided to keep it anyway.
Thanks for the welcome.

Best wishes to you,
Wayne.

Rolex Submariner c

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 7:31 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 6 posts
Moana43 wrote:
56scooter wrote:

oh never thought of that, I wonder if it's possible to have at least 100m with a rotating bezel like that...iirc Sinn has 100m?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:33 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 811 posts
No it is not possible. Sinn has a different rotating mechanism through the crown at 10 position, glass never moves, just bezel's inside.
It is very awkward to use so i prefer less WR but more usable Navitimer bezel. (had Sinn 903 and have Navitimer).

bnewbie likes this post.
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 1:47 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 174 posts
Just to mix things up a little, here's my Chronospace, with internal rotating slide-rule scale, the same as the Navi'.
However, this watch is WR to 200mts, it does have a screw-down crown, but normal pump-pushers. So, it does intrigue me that the Navitimer, couldn't at least have a WR rating of at least 50mts.
Just to add, the crystal is fixed on this watch & does not rotate when using slide-rule function.