The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 9:46 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:06 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 10 posts
The battery in my Co-Pilot module was showing low, and then died altogether, so I elected to take the watch in to one of Breitlings Authorised Repair Centres to get both batteries changed out.

Watch has been with them for a week, and I collected it today. All appeared OK, cost me £75 for both which wasn't bad, however whilst wearing it, I heard it go beep, looked at the watch and all the segments on both displays were 'lit'. Press the crown in and it resets to 00:00 1/1 :shock: So I have to go through setting the watch up from scratch, syncing the hands to the display (which is another issue). So I take off the watch to wash my hands, put it down and it again goes beep and resets :x

Find that if I tap the watch on the side, I can get it to reset almost at will ... great.

Also, I cannot now get the hands to align with the dial correctly. The minute hand won't now go exactly to say the minute marks, it's always one side or the other, like the hands have been moved.

So anyone with knowledge of the Aerospace Avantage know what the likely cause is? Something simple like they haven't screwed the battery in tight enough or has some ham-fisted 'technician' done more serious damage?

I've emailed them to find out what their remedy is - wish I'd sent it in to BUK now, and fear I may have to cough up for a full service as I'm concerned they haven't resealed the case correctly ...

So much for 'authorised service centres'. Certainly think twice about pulling the trigger on the SAII GMT I had my eye on in there...

Had
2013 Avenger Seawolf SS yellow Arabic dial
2010 Aerospace Avantage black dial & Co-pilot
2007 Aerospace Repetition Minutes
2003 Superocean
2001 Chronospace

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:29 am 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 28 posts
Thats sad news, but don't get me started on Servicing.

Failing any experts here, your best bet is t do exactly as you are doing, and chase them down for a relook at the watch. Resetting after a battery install should be a simple matter. Some watches have a sequence in replacing batteries, which if not followed will mean complications for use there after. I am not sure this will be the case here and it may turn out to be a battery fitting issue. If you can shake the watch and get a reset message, then I would think thats the probable answer. That is of course, discounting your other probable thought. I would hate to rule it out, but I would hate to rule it in either.

I hope they find the issue, remediate it quickly and apologise for letting it out of the service department without a quality shake down.

"You have Control".

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:17 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Well, looks like a happy outcome.

Took my watch back in this morning - this was a 100 mile round trip and 2 hours in the car. Watch was taken straight up to the watch repairer and was found to have had the wrong battery fitted. Evidently the 'lad' (who it seems is trusted with quartz watch repairs!) didn't bother to check the correct battery number, got one out that 'looked about right' as it was the same diameter and fitted it. It was too thin and therefore the contact was intermittent.

AD and watch repairer (who phoned me in person) was very apologetic, checked that the co-pilot battery was correct and on collecting the watch they gave me a full refund of the cost PLUS the cost of fitting a new crystal that I'd asked to be done at a later date as the part hadn't come in when the battery was fitted (I'd polished off the AR coating as I'd marked it just after getting it).

Glad to see a UK retailer prepared to do whatever it takes to put things right - that's a rarity these days.

Had
2003 Superocean
2001 Chronospace

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:28 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 5 posts
Good result! Glad to hear you got it sorted.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:06 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 1 post
Great result pleased to read that the repairers held up there hands and did the right thing.

Regards

W.W.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:17 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Has restored my faith some in British retailers. They certainly went that extra mile to keep me happy, which is a real rarity these days.

I'm certainly going to consider using them for my SA purchase, though I'll probably go direct to BUK for work in the future.

Had
2003 Superocean
2001 Chronospace

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:38 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 2 posts
Good to hear that's turning out okay, man. I sent my Airwolf straight to Breitling USA the last time the co-pilot battery died, and I'm about to do the same this time, too. I just don't trust smaller repair centers with my high-end pieces like this.

Club Member #0070
2009 TT Chrono Evo w/Rose gold, blue face
2009 Airwolf w/black face, Co-Pilot module
2009 TT Lady Cockpit w/Mother-of-Pearl, Diamond face for the wife

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:43 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

It was a question of timing for me. My Aero & Co-pilot is a real tool watch and I needed it for this coming week - BUK have a few weeks lead time even on simple maintenance work, and the AD is listed as one of Breitlings Authorised Service Centres. They also have approvals for Rolex, Omega and others, so should be ok.

I think the real issue here is that some think any Quartz watch isn't worthy of any time, effort or care as it's not a proper timepiece ... My Aero & Co-pilot lists at £4300 so is hardly a cheap Seiko and I expect it to be treated the same as any mechanical when being worked on. Giving it to the 'apprentice' just because its a quartz and 'only' needs a battery change is unforgivable. It cost them this time, and I think they realised they were lucky it wasn't anything more serious.

I'm still nervous whether the case has been revealed correctly (seals we supposed to have been changed) but once the silly season is over, it'll be off to BUK for a full overhaul and case refurb.

Had
2003 Superocean
2001 Chronospace

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:46 am 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Glad to see it got worked out in the end.

I agree with you. Never feel that your watch is less worthy because its quartz and never accept that from any dealer either. They cost a lot of money and they are not cheap at this end of the market. Yes, totally agree with you as well. Unforgiveable what goes on.

Did they do a pressure test after replacing the seal?

"You have Control".

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:22 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

P51 wrote:
Did they do a pressure test after replacing the seal?

Yes, apparently. The main watchmaker who reworked the battery was the one that fitted the new crystal and I have been assured it has been correctly pressure tested.

One thing I have noticed is how clear the new glass appears now it has the AR coating on. It makes a hell of a difference.

Had
2003 Superocean
2001 Chronospace

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:16 am 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Thats great news. This is a good place to discover that members can get really great outcomes on watch purchases and servicing. I have learned a lot from other members here from the skills they have.

All the best.

"You have Control".