Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:03 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:00 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 1 post
Hi,
I just picked up a Navitimer A23322. My question it's the winding of the watch. The instruction booklet it's a bit confusing. Does it have a screw-down crown or pushdown? It says to pull to position 1 to wind it. I notice position 2 sets the time. So back to my question. In order to wind it, does the crown have to be all the way down or slightly out and counterclockwise or clockwise ?

Thanks for the help

PANERAI 111
Breitling Navitimer A23322 (new addition)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:11 am 
All Roads lead to Breitling

Liked in: 33 posts
Wind it with the crown all the way in. Not a screw down crown.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:26 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

So it's there a position 1? So push the crown all the way in and turn clockwise, correct?
Thanks!

PANERAI 111

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:16 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 0 post
Al1969 wrote:
So it's there a position 1? So push the crown all the way in and turn clockwise, correct?
Thanks!

Correct.

Aleksander Razumny Nordgarden Rødner

Breitling Navitimer World, blue face with steel bracelet
Omega Seamaster 300M, blue face with steel bracelet

Carpe aleae!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:21 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

What I do, though, is simply wear it. Assuming you've bought it new from dealer, it's a new one, which should have a self-winding rotor, which winds the spring when the watch is being used. I've yet to wind mine manually.

Carpe aleae!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:04 pm 

Liked in: 33 posts
razumny wrote:
What I do, though, is simply wear it. Assuming you've bought it new from dealer, it's a new one, which should have a self-winding rotor, which winds the spring when the watch is being used. I've yet to wind mine manually.

Not exactly accurate. The rotor only maintains the tension on the spring. It does not wind the watch in terms of increasing spring tension. A new watch or one that has been allowed to run down should be manually wound about 40 turns.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:07 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
sharkman wrote:
razumny wrote:

Not exactly accurate. The rotor only maintains the tension on the spring. It does not wind the watch in terms of increasing spring tension. A new watch or one that has been allowed to run down should be manually wound about 40 turns.

Well mechanically it is capable of winding the watch - i.e. can increase spring tension, but as you suggest extremely unlikely that anyone would be able to fully wind a watch from fully unwound just by wearing, and it would stop / start until a minimal reserve was reached.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 3:30 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Thanks for the responses guys. I just got confused. The booklet said to turn clockwise 40 times but I wasn't sure if the crown had to be pushed in all the way or pulled slightly out. I did not notice when you pull it all the way out it moves the hands to set the time. I also realized it doesn't have a quick-set option, is that correct? So crown all the way in and turn clockwise? Now does the crown "screw in" in any way or just simply pushing it down all the way it's sufficient? Apologize for the repetitive questions. It's my first Breitling. I've been a Rolex owners for a few years but wanted to add some variation to my humble collection.
Thanks

PANERAI 111

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 3:32 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Al1969 wrote:
Thanks for the responses guys. I just got confused. The booklet said to turn clockwise 40 times but I wasn't sure if the crown had to be pushed in all the way or pulled slightly out. I did not notice when you pull it all the way out it moves the hands to set the time. I also realized it doesn't have a quick-set option, is that correct? So crown all the way in and turn clockwise? Now does the crown "screw in" in any way or just simply pushing it down all the way it's sufficient? Apologize for the repetitive questions. It's my first Breitling. I've been a Rolex owners for a few years but wanted to add some variation to my humble collection.
Thanks

It doesn't have a screwdown crown, and that model does not have a quick set date.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 3:35 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Thank you.

PANERAI 111

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:23 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Roffensian wrote:
sharkman wrote:
razumny wrote:

Well mechanically it is capable of winding the watch - i.e. can increase spring tension, but as you suggest extremely unlikely that anyone would be able to fully wind a watch from fully unwound just by wearing, and it would stop / start until a minimal reserve was reached.
Ah, another lesson learned, here at the Source. Thanks guys!

Carpe aleae!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:41 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

When I wind my Navitimer 01 Limited I always hear a kind of noise a little like two pieces of fabric rubbing together. It's the only way to describe it, and my other Breitlings don't sound like that when winding. I wonder if there something wrong with it?. I think at times we all obsess about these watches a little, although I seem to do so more about the Naitimer than the other Breitlings I own :).

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 4:15 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

martley wrote:
When I wind my Navitimer 01 Limited I always hear a kind of noise a little like two pieces of fabric rubbing together. It's the only way to describe it, and my other Breitlings don't sound like that when winding. I wonder if there something wrong with it?. I think at times we all obsess about these watches a little, although I seem to do so more about the Naitimer than the other Breitlings I own :).

There is more resistance to the 01 movement because of the larger power reserve. I suspect that all that you are hearing is the movement in the keyless works as the power is transferred from the crown stem to the mainspring. When I first got my 01 I was short of winder heads and manually wound it - the additional resistance soon gave me callouses on finger and thumb :?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 6:11 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Roffensian wrote:
martley wrote:

There is more resistance to the 01 movement because of the larger power reserve. I suspect that all that you are hearing is the movement in the keyless works as the power is transferred from the crown stem to the mainspring. When I first got my 01 I was short of winder heads and manually wound it - the additional resistance soon gave me callouses on finger and thumb :?

Thanks for that information. It's great to have all this knowledge that people share :).

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:54 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

I'm going out of my mind. Every time I accidentally let the power reserve run out and watch stops running, I set the correct time and date and wind it up a minimum 40X, the watch won't run. I let it sit for several days contemplating taking it to authorized repair service center. I then go and pick it up, wind just a couple of times and the watch starts to work again.

Am I winding it wrong?
Is there some secret hand shake I need to do to get this to work?
For several thousand $$$ watch, it shouldnt be this complicated!

Why won't the watch start to work as soon as I start to wind it? :evil: