Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:09 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Blackbird keeps stopping
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:00 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Liked in: 0 post
Hi Guys, I am new to this forum so apologies if this question has been asked before. I have owned a Blackbird from new for just over 12 months and I wear it every day. The problem I have is when I take it off it stops within 3-4 hours none usage. Surely this isn't right?

Any tips on how to resolve it would be gratefully received.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:09 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
It may simply have a low power reserve because you aren't moving enough during the day to keep it wound. Give it a full manual wind (40 turns) and see if the problem continues. If it does then we'll have to try something else, if that fixes it then just wind it manually every now and then and you should be fine.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:53 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Roffensian wrote:
It may simply have a low power reserve because you aren't moving enough during the day to keep it wound. Give it a full manual wind (40 turns) and see if the problem continues. If it does then we'll have to try something else, if that fixes it then just wind it manually every now and then and you should be fine.

Thanks for the reply.

I have also been winding it regularly but unfortunately that doesn't give it any longer life. What is strange is that I would expect it to start working again as soon as I wind it, but it doesn't work until I have worn it for a while?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:03 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
OK, well that's different.

If it's not starting immediately then it may be out of beat, but that won't explain why it is stopping. If it is stopping when manually wound and when wound through wearing then that rules out a problem with the automatic winding so the most likely scenario is that there is something wrong in the running train that is causing it to stop. When you are wearing it the movement will be enough to keep it going, but when laying still it is unable to overcome the friction / inertia that the problem is causing. The good news is that if you bought new a year ago then the watch is still under warranty so get Breitling to check it out.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:15 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Roffensian wrote:
OK, well that's different.

If it's not starting immediately then it may be out of beat, but that won't explain why it is stopping. If it is stopping when manually wound and when wound through wearing then that rules out a problem with the automatic winding so the most likely scenario is that there is something wrong in the running train that is causing it to stop. When you are wearing it the movement will be enough to keep it going, but when laying still it is unable to overcome the friction / inertia that the problem is causing. The good news is that if you bought new a year ago then the watch is still under warranty so get Breitling to check it out.

Will do, thanks.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 10:56 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 27 posts
vcorn wrote:
Roffensian wrote:
The good news is that if you bought new a year ago then the watch is still under warranty so get Breitling to check it out.

Will do, thanks.

Hi vcorn,
The blackbird recently came on my radar and I've started doing some research. Wondering if you managed to get your problem fixed? Have they told you what the cause of the stopping was?