The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:02 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2022 12:24 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Liked in: 2 posts
Hello everyone, Marcus here, a new member. Thanks for having me!

I recently bought a vintage Navitimer 806, serial number 134XXXX, which should be a 1970 manufacturing year. I find that consistent with the watch details, but will be happy to be told otherwise.

The hour register didn’t do its job, and the Venus 178 was in desperate need of a service, which has both been fixed in the meantime.
It still has its non-original, unsigned crown and could do with fresh gaskets (which seem to be difficult to identify - a subject for another post, perhaps).

All in all, not the star of a collection, but I think it’s an honest, patinated 50 year old timepiece that is mechanically sound and happy to be worn every day (as long as it’s a dry one…).

Anyway - the watch came to me with two documents, which I thought were rather charming add-ons: A mint manual, and a cash register receipt dated 1971 from Lembach, a jeweller in Cologne (today a Wempe shop). But: As genuine as the receipt itself appears, I cannot match it to the watch - or any watch, for that matter. It describes the sold item as “Navitimer Breitling - 070/921 - AT 63230”, which puzzles me.

Would anybody have an idea what “070/921” and “AT 63230” may refer to? What the hell did Fräulein Klein sell in 1971? What may even be the missing link to my 806?

As a side note, the price in 1971 was 525.00 Deutsche Mark (DM), and a discount of DM 150.00 was granted (perhaps because the newer model with Valjoux movement and date was coming?). The net price of DM 375.00 converts to EUR 191.73 (less than USD 200).
Perhaps I should sell the receipt separately for the purpose of satisfying spouses’ queries for the purchase price of new acquisitions… ;-).

Many thanks!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

2 people like this post.
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2022 2:30 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 811 posts
Can't help (if I find out something I'll chime in) but thanks for sharing, made my day :lingsrock:

Venus178 likes this post.
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2022 4:35 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 1727 posts
none of the numbers match Breitling references (or internal refs. by Trautmann, the Germany distributor).
note that some national distributors DID assign their own SKU order references, a Navitimer 806 in the 1965 UK catalog is shown as a ref 1307 ;)
but very, very often, until today, AD assign their own internal order references to watches, so not unusual at all to see this.

and I doubt this was a discount, the reference number here would rather indicate a downpayment of DM150 when ordering the watch ("AT" is an abbreviation often used for the German "AKONTO", i.e. downpayment).

lovely, honest watch, Enjoy!

3 people like this post.
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2022 5:30 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 811 posts
WatchFred wrote:
and I doubt this was a discount, the reference number here would rather indicate a downpayment of DM150 when ordering the watch ("AT" is an abbreviation often used for the German "AKONTO", i.e. downpayment).

This makes lots of sense. I was trying to find what AT abbreviation could stand for but German is not my native tongue.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2022 6:31 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Liked in: 2 posts
WatchFred wrote:
none of the numbers match Breitling references (or internal refs. by Trautmann, the Germany distributor).
note that some national distributors DID assign their own SKU order references, a Navitimer 806 in the 1965 UK catalog is shown as a ref 1307 ;)
but very, very often, until today, AD assign their own internal order references to watches, so not unusual at all to see this.

lovely, honest watch, Enjoy!

Many thanks, as disappointing as it is, your clarification is greatly appreciated! So it seems the missing link is just not there, and it could have been any Navitimer they sold in 1971.
The "Akonto" makes sense, so this would have referred to an earlier receipt for a downpayment.
Short of having a word with Fräulein Klein, this is probably as far as we will get...