Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:03 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 6:32 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Liked in: 2 posts
Hi Guys,

I have bought a 810 Top Time in fabulous condition, however it is missing the crown and the stem part that is fixed to the crown and the hour recorder wheel is broken, so need to replace this one as well.

Would be very thankful for any help.

Crown:
I found a topic that described the dimensions of the crown a while ago on here but I am no longer able to find it. But if I remembered it correct the crown should be 5.8 or 5.9mm wide. But what about the depth? Also, what size of tap should it be and what does that correspond to in mm?

Stem:
What watch has the part that is closest to the movement still in place. Does it need to be a split crown or could it be replaced with a non-split stem? If so, would I be mad to do so?

Hour recorder wheel:
Would be great to know the article number for this part? IS it the Venus 178 8600 and if so there seems to be two different sizes. How do I know which one?

Attachment:
IMG_1904_size.jpg

Thank you and best regards,
Patrik

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Dom87 likes this post.
PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:04 am 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

Liked in: 364 posts
Cant answer all of it but if the case is a one piece (monocoque) you need a split stem. Breitling crowns are most often tap 1.2. I think the correct diameter is 5.6 or 5.8. an the thickness will be what it is. I can't really recall seeing thick and thin versions to be honest. You'll know its the right proportion when you see it. Just looking through my spares I have a 5.7mm crown that is 2.4mm in depth, and it looks proportionally right for an 810.

Try eBay for parts or http://www.scotchwatch.com/venus_parts_inventory.html. Your right that there are 2 different sizes.

bnewbie likes this post.
PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 4:47 pm 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

buddman wrote:
Cant answer all of it but if the case is a one piece (monocoque) you need a split stem. Breitling crowns are most often tap 1.2. I think the correct diameter is 5.6 or 5.8. an the thickness will be what it is. I can't really recall seeing thick and thin versions to be honest. You'll know its the right proportion when you see it. Just looking through my spares I have a 5.7mm crown that is 2.4mm in depth, and it looks proportionally right for an 810.

Try eBay for parts or http://www.scotchwatch.com/venus_parts_inventory.html. Your right that there are 2 different sizes.

Thank you. Appreciate you taking you time to respond to my questions.

The case has a case back that can be taken off from the main case so don’t see the issue to have a fixed stem anyways will see if I can find.

How do I know what dimension the hour recorder wheel should have? I understand that taking the old one out and measure is one option but is there some other way?

Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:45 pm 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

I think measuring it is the only way. I have an old email from Blake at Scotswatch regarding the minute wheel and he said at the time “I would need to know the thickness, in MM, of the wheel with and without the heart. Reason is Venus did some funky height differences and they don't interchange”

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 2:56 pm 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Found a possible match to the needed crown. Would this be correct? Is it possible to see differance between one form 70 and newer?

The crown has the following info:

Quote:
Ø 5.9 mm;
HEIGHT: 2.8 mm; Stem 0.9mm. For Reparatour with signature.
Fit To: MOVEMENT VALJOUX 7740 AND BREITLING MODEL (CASE) 7101.
Breitling Bullhead Pupitre Pult Chronograph 7101
BREITLING Long Playing Panda 7104/7103 Chronograph 41 - Valjoux 7740 -
BREITLING NAVITIMER 7806 KING HUSSEIN VALJOUX 7740 AVIATEUR PILOTE

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 3:02 pm 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

It would of course fit if you had the right stem. You would need (I think) to get a split stem with tap 1,2 into the movement and then 0.9 to the crown. If you had a single stem with the 0.9 tap I don’t think it will fit properly to the Venus 178 side. Happy to be corrected but that’s my recollection.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 3:10 pm 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

buddman wrote:
It would of course fit if you had the right stem. You would need (I think) to get a split stem with tap 1,2 into the movement and then 0.9 to the crown. If you had a single stem with the 0.9 tap I don’t think it will fit properly to the Venus 178 side. Happy to be corrected but that’s my recollection.

Half the stem is still in the movement, so that part I have. What tap size should it be? I guess I also need to make sure it can fit correctly over the tube sticking out from the case.

The crown above would be a tap 10 as I understand it.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 3:16 pm 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

Patrik83 wrote:
buddman wrote:

Half the stem is still in the movement, so that part I have. What tap size should it be? I guess I also need to make sure it can fit correctly over the tube sticking out from the case.

The crown above would be a tap 10 as I understand it.

It says in your description it is a tap 0.9

Please check with your watchmaker but I believe this is what you need

Part code is MALE90 at cousinsuk. You’ll be able to find same in your own country. https://www.cousinsuk.com/product/male- ... ode=MALE90

2 people like this post.
PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:24 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 48 posts
Just a slight anxiety: make sure the split stem in the movement is intact and not broken (may be the reason why the crown has fallen off).
Any venus 178 stem will fit your movement the TAP size is irrelevant to the movement but only relates to the crown size. V178 split stems are rare if yours is broken (circa £100 on eBay!) but you can replace it with a complete stem.
Also keep in mind a Valjoux 7730 stem will fit a vanus 178 as well and they will probably be easier to find and cheaper!

2 people like this post.
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 3:17 pm 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

donmenzies wrote:
Just a slight anxiety: make sure the split stem in the movement is intact and not broken (may be the reason why the crown has fallen off).
Any venus 178 stem will fit your movement the TAP size is irrelevant to the movement but only relates to the crown size. V178 split stems are rare if yours is broken (circa £100 on eBay!) but you can replace it with a complete stem.
Also keep in mind a Valjoux 7730 stem will fit a vanus 178 as well and they will probably be easier to find and cheaper!

Great info, thanks! The stem connected to the movement seem to be intact. However, I will let my watchmaker take it apart first to check and then decide.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 3:22 pm 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Thanks guys for helping me out here.

I think I now have the required information needed to be able to get the watch sorted. Will post updates once I have more to share and of course the result once the watch is finished.

:lingsrock:

WatchFred likes this post.