The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:55 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:19 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Liked in: 0 post
Hello whoever is reading this! I've been lurking and learning on here for a little while and this is my first post. I'm hoping this will be fun for someone!

I'm hoping that your collective knowledge may be able to help me with directing me in finding some information... The Miracle of Bern was probably the most significant match ever played and I have a piece of history from that game--or at least the tournament. Do you know who may be able to help me learn why the referee of that match, Mr. William Ling of England, may have had a Breitling Foot Ball pocketwatch with engravings in the back? I have made a bunch of contacts but haven't gotten anything concrete yet.

I have seen one other watch like it that sold on the bay years ago that was engraved as the "Sixth Official", World Cup 1954, but I couldn't find any provenance on that one either. I have taken this piece to the Beyer Watch Museum in Zurich for a consultation and then sent it to Breitling headquarters in Bern and both were unable to tell me the history but both concluded it was authentic and that it was a very exciting piece despite the non-working condition.

Moderators: I have exhausted my research and have poured over these forum threads trying to find similar information but haven't been able to which is why I am starting this topic. It's my intent that if no one here has any information, I figured the members here may enjoy taking this journey with me and I intend to give updates as I have them! Despite there being a frustratingly small amount of information, I am enjoying delving into the historical information that exists on the game as well as on Breitling!!

Any information, questions, or encouragement will be appreciated! Again, despite the dead ends, I'm having a lot of fun with this! I hope you will too!

I'm trying to embed two pictures here, please be forgiving if I don't do it correctly: