The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:55 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 5:54 pm 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Liked in: 0 post
I thought I was just buying a cool Navitimer 1806, but the more research I do, the more I think I screwed up.

The serial on the case back dates to the end of 1968. The bezel is all black. The hands are black toward the center, white on the outside. All the markings of a pre-serie watch... except one. The date in the middle is red, not black. Which is because the movement is a cal 12, not a cal 11. Evidently, the movement has been swapped with a later Breitling movement, which works, but is technically incorrect for a pre-serie watch.

How would something like this typically affect the value?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:26 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 414 posts
DerekWrites wrote:
I thought I was just buying a cool Navitimer 1806, but the more research I do, the more I think I screwed up.

The serial on the case back dates to the end of 1968. The bezel is all black. The hands are black toward the center, white on the outside. All the markings of a pre-serie watch... except one. The date in the middle is red, not black. Which is because the movement is a cal 12, not a cal 11. Evidently, the movement has been swapped with a later Breitling movement, which works, but is technically incorrect for a pre-serie watch.

How would something like this typically affect the value?

The Cal 12 could have been just been a later Breitling replacement when the original Cal 11 wasn't repairable. Sort of like a classic car with a later replacement engine. It's not 100% original so will have a decreased value to those where 100% originality is important. What that value is is dependent on what's important to that potential buyer. As long as it's the proper Breitling Cal 12 inside I don't really see it affecting the value more than a few hundred dollars though others may disagree. These have been strong sellers lately.

DerekWrites likes this post.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 1:11 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 123 posts
Photos.... Need photos

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:11 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 138 posts
2 other potential explanations :
1/ cases stored for a long period : watch produced in late 1969 or 1970 with a cal 12 encased in a case from a 1968 batch according to SN engraved on the caseback .
2/ all original and further to 1968 except the caseback replaced by an older one .

2 people like this post.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:27 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 1727 posts
1 is the most likely, have seen that so many times ....
sometimes case production date & the final assembly will be years apart

2 people like this post.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:26 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Wow, thanks for all the great responses. This is my first post here and you all have been very helpful. I'm currently traveling for work and don't have the watch with me. I'll post detailed pictures when I get back home.

Thanks again.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 6:42 pm 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Finally picked up the watch this morning and was able to snap a few crumby pictures. There's no "-" in chronomatic, and the serial on the back of the case is 125XXXX. The cal 12 movement is definitely a replacement. There's a marking on the inside of the case that say "91 New Movement." I love how the dial looks, however I've purchased some original replacement hands. I'll probably have it serviced as well.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 4:17 am 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 809 posts
DerekWrites wrote:
The date in the middle is red, not black. Which is because the movement is a cal 12, not a cal 11.

So just to clarify, do all Cal 11s have black writing on the date wheel and all red date wheels are Cal 12? In the past I've seen movements marked Cal 11 with red date wheels. Should i assume those watches have been tampered with or were Breitling not especially fussy at that time?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 6:55 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Novacastrian wrote:
DerekWrites wrote:
The date in the middle is red, not black. Which is because the movement is a cal 12, not a cal 11.

So just to clarify, do all Cal 11s have black writing on the date wheel and all red date wheels are Cal 12? In the past I've seen movements marked Cal 11 with red date wheels. Should i assume those watches have been tampered with or were Breitling not especially fussy at that time?

I'm pretty new to this, so I'm not sure. I'm simply referencing some information I read about early Navitimer 1806s.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:40 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 43 posts
DerekWrites wrote:
Novacastrian wrote:
DerekWrites wrote:

I'm pretty new to this, so I'm not sure. I'm simply referencing some information I read about early Navitimer 1806s.

Very nice early dial 1806.

I've sent you a PM that may interest you.

Will

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 7:03 pm 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Back from the watchmaker.
Attachment:
Breitling.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 3:09 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 16 posts
DerekWrites wrote:
Finally picked up the watch this morning and was able to snap a few crumby pictures. There's no "-" in chronomatic, and the serial on the back of the case is 125XXXX. The cal 12 movement is definitely a replacement. There's a marking on the inside of the case that say "91 New Movement." I love how the dial looks, however I've purchased some original replacement hands. I'll probably have it serviced as well.

Derek, this is the first known Version of the 1806 dial, maybe the real "pre-series". The dials had no "-" in CHRONOMATIC and also a metalframe around the date-window. Hands are correct for this dial, serial is also correct. All you need is a cal11 to make it authentic again - should be no big problem ;-)

Ralph

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 4:25 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 414 posts
cal_11 wrote:
DerekWrites wrote:

Derek, this is the first known Version of the 1806 dial, maybe the real "pre-series". The dials had no "-" in CHRONOMATIC and also a metalframe around the date-window. Hands are correct for this dial, serial is also correct. All you need is a cal11 to make it authentic again - should be no big problem ;-)

Ralph

I would still consider it authentic even with the Cal12. Maybe original would be a better word. Nice looking piece. I'd leave it alone and enjoy it.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:03 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 45 posts
Navitimer 1806 CHRONO-MATIC. The Serial Number on case back 1253949 date to 68-69. Movement is cal. 11.2 with blacke date and a metallframe arround the date-window. Bezel hour and minute hand renewed probably.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:22 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 43 posts
herbert50 wrote:
Navitimer 1806 CHRONO-MATIC. The Serial Number on case back 1253949 date to 68-69. Movement is cal. 11.2 with blacke date and a metallframe arround the date-window. Bezel hour and minute hand renewed probably.

Bezel renewed with modern service replacement....The 1970's two tone bezels had broken silver elements not continuous as shown in your picture.

I understand that both dial variations had a metal frame around the date window but the very early pre series was larger and covered the dial markings....?

Perhaps others can confirm?

Attachment:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1454350871.203854.jpg

Will