Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 7:35 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:27 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Liked in: 5 posts
Hello everyone,

I've been very tempted into getting into the world of vintage Breitling pieces and I wanted to ask your opinion on something. I originally wanted to get a vintage Navitimer (and still might) to go with my modern 46mm one, but lately I've thought that getting an even older piece from the 40's would be a better idea and the design of the Premier line seems to have really caught my eye. My dad was born in '47 and this coming November will be 20 years since his passing, so getting a timepiece from this era would mean something a little special to me to mark the occasion.

I'm not an expert here, but from what research I have done I seem to have found a nice example with what seems to be an all original, all correct piece albeit with some case polishing (which I don't mind btw). Everything I see in the pics seem to show what I should expect in a 797 model: 1946 serial number, solid 18k rose gold, what seems to be an intact and untouched original dial with some nice patina (from my perspective), the correct pushers, hands, and lugs, and the correct Venus movement. Case size is 36mm.

Here are a few pics. Please, if I'm wrong on anything or if you spot something askew, I'd love to hear what I should be paying more attention to.

If everything looks good to you experts, what is a good price or rather expected price for this piece? The seller is asking $3k. I'm not normally into rose gold, but with this vintage design and dial I think it really works nicely.

Thanks for your time everyone!

Brian

Last edited by marker2037 on Sat Jan 09, 2016 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:48 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 185 posts
Very very nice.

WatchFred likes this post.
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:36 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 1728 posts
nice and all correct, typically sell between 2.5 and 3.5k, so not unreasonable

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 11:02 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Thanks for the replies so far!

I should also have mentioned that I have a ref 178 that I'm also interested in.

Same price as the above and the seller is getting me some pics of the movement and better pics of the "rose" as it looks more yellow in these photos.

Which seems to be the better value/choice? I know it's all subjective, but I'm just curious as to opinions.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 5:44 pm 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Liked in: 2 posts
Brian, I am very unqualified to speak on this subject, so take what I say with a grain of salt. I also became interested in the Premier 797 a few weeks ago and recently made a purchase with some input from those on the forums here. Mine is a stainless 797 from 1947.

I like to talk about the watches I wear and what makes them unique and sets them apart from the rest, that for me is part of the fun. Those are two very beautiful watches, and knowing very little about the 178, my vote is for the 797. I have really enjoyed wearing my 797.

It is my understanding that the 797 was only produced for 2 years, 1946 and 1947, which in my mind would make it a rather rare piece. Also this particular model is graced with the “spider lugs” which is pretty identifiable, and a great conversation piece on this design. I was told that they were a bit more fragile than the standard watch design, and to check for signs that they had been broken off and re-attached in the past. The photos look like they are in original condition to me, an amateur. Also I notice that there are some pins that are pointing towards each other on the inside of your lugs for attaching the strap. My lugs have been drilled through to facilitate a standard spring bar to attachment. I’m not sure if mine are unmolested, I have seen other 797s this way, but I would imagine this 797s lugs are original, and either mine were originally different, or modified. It looks like there is a small hole drilled in the underside of one of the pushers? Not sure what that is about, but mine doesn’t have that. In fact the whole start/stop pusher looks pretty worn. (on the sides even) There seem to be some very small differences on the dial that I have noticed between different 797s. For example, your 8 and 4 are slightly chopped off at the top, indicating that the small dial is a bit larger. My 8 and 4 are almost not chopped at all. I’m not suggesting this is a problem, as I have noticed this quite a bit between different Premier photos. I’m hoping to pin down the significance of that someday. (different year? gold vs stainless?) There is a certain patina for this 797, which I find desirable. It shows that this is indeed an antique, but might affect the value, or not suit your personal taste. The 178 really looks immaculate, which could almost be mistaken for a much newer watch. I would prefer all the stories I could tell about the 797.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 7:21 pm 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Thanks for your input LA. I did see your 797 and I think it's very sharp looking as well. And I think you're right about the differences in these models. They seem to vary with subtle differences here and there which really make them unique IMO.

I appreciate your input, you make a lot of valid and interesting points.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 1:17 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

re the Premier 797 lugs discussed above:
18k 797s have lug pins, SS versions have drilled through holes.
so both your watches are perfectly correct ;)

that ref. 178 is in EXCEPTIONAL condition (and I rarely shout).
perfectly correct and very, very nice. (crown is a replacement, but most are and it should be no issue to find a better fitting correctly unsigned crown for it)

yes, the 797 is the rarer and more unique watch, but such a perfect 178 .......

so no way to tell you which one to choose besides suggesting to listen to your heart, pick the one you like more - and thank you for the rare pleasure of evaluating TWO lovely and all correct pieces in one thread ;)

on the value side - the 797 typically sells about 1k above 178s, but have not seen an auction for such a perfect survivor, so that changes the picture a bit.

2 people like this post.
PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 6:16 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Thank you for the input and insight Fred! I had noticed that gold versions of the 797 had differed from the stainless in regards to those lug pins so I figured they were both correct.

In regards to choosing.....

I guess either way, I can't go wrong :lingsrock:

WatchFred likes this post.
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 6:53 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Update here....

I decided I wanted to make an offer to the piece that was really speaking to me most rather than the piece that was the most logical choice. So with that said, my offer ended up being accepted for the 797. $2,685. I think it is a fair price considering Fred's remarks and I'm very pleased to say that I'll be the owner soon. Can't wait!

Thank you everyone for your help and input!

2 people like this post.
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 7:00 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Liked in: 2 posts
Wow!

I was really curious which you would go with, I have to admit it was not an easy choice. I hope you like it as much as I talked it up. Give us another update when you get it in your hands.

marker2037 likes this post.
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:13 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

It definitely wasn't an easy choice and in a perfect world with more money I'd maybe have gone for both haha, but in my heart I think I'm making the right choice.

:D

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:03 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

great choice !

marker2037 likes this post.
PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:30 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 37 posts
Congrats!
Two beautiful watches indeed. :)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:34 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 0 post
WatchFred wrote:

I can't help it. I have my doubts. 'BREITLING' and 'PREMIER' on the bridge (797) don't look original to me.
Chris

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:42 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Chris K wrote:
WatchFred wrote:

I can't help it. I have my doubts. 'BREITLING' and 'PREMIER' on the bridge (797) don't look original to me.
Chris

maybe you should either try to "help it", or offer anything to back up your opinion ?

here are four 797 bridges, must all be fake then ? these were hand engraved in the 1940s, so of course you will see small differences when zooming in. let me assure you all are original.

2 people like this post.