It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:45 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Breitling Unidate
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 2:52 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Liked in: 0 post
Hello,

First of all, I apologize if this is not the right section to post this topic. I am new here.

I found this forum while looking for information about a watch that I inherited from my grandmother and I'm willing to sell. I have found that it's a gold lady Breitling Unidate, probably made between 1940 and 1960.

I would much appreciate your advice as experts on what's the best way to find a buyer and a reference on the price I should ask.

I'm attaching some pictures for your reference. The watch has some defects and one strap pin is broken, as you can see on the pictures.

Thank you very much in advance.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: Breitling Unidate
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:49 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 1727 posts
watch is most probably from the late 1940s or early 1950s - and very nice, but not a Unidate (as the name implies, these would have a date display)

the sad fact is that there is no "collectors market" for these beautiful pieces - and typically the gold value will define what you get for it.
have someone weigh the gold (i.e. remove movement and dial) and have somebody test if the bracelet is 18k too, I do not see a hallmark on it.

then put it up on ebay, you should get at least decent gold value for it and maybe somebody will like it and pay more.

AiR likes this post.
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 4:22 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Liked in: 0 post
Hi WatchFred,

Thank you very much for your reply.

I believe it is an Unidate, since it says so on the dial and it actually has a date display (as you can see on the pictures). I got the piece valued by a gold buyer and they told me it's 14k. I don't know how reliable that information is, though.

I thought it's a pity to sell a vintage piece like this just for it's gold value and that I could get a better price if someone is interested on it as a vintage Breitling watch.

Your help is much appreciated.

Regards

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 5:40 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 1727 posts
sorry, missed that ! yes, it is a Unidate, should not look at watches on my phone screen.

re "a pity" - fully agree, but that's why I suggested to put it on ebay, maybe w/ a fair reserve for the gold value, someone MIGHT be interested in it as the beautiful watch it is. chances aren't very high, I'm afraid.

AiR likes this post.