The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 3:14 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:51 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 78 posts
It's obviously just another piece of writing that does not confirm anything, but if it's right . . . ! ! !

http://www.worthpoint.com/article/histo ... imer-watch

There was no reference number on the original Navitimer. Breitling’s well-guarded production papers do show that the so called AOPA was first produced in 1954 with a Valjoux movement. This is the best argument against Breitling’s 1952 claim, and against the early use of the Venus movement and 806 reference.

Kurt B

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:05 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 0 post
This story is cold coffee, we know it better.

The Navitimers serial 824... without incabloc and 92 beads was clearly the earliest from 1953.

Did you ever counted how many beads your lunettes have exactly?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:15 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 78 posts
I wonder who “we” are, do you speak on behalf of the Forum, and do you know for sure what you are talking about ?

I state in my article that it’s “my strong believe” that the first Navitimer came in 1954, we are all allowed to have our opinion, but you should state that it’s your believe or opinion, and not as “we know better”, which is a very patronizing way of speaking.

It has been fun posting here, and I hope that you guys have enjoyed at least my pictures, but it’s time for me to leave, so I’ll take my good hat and go, simply because my integrity disallows me to stay, because I in one way or another can’t avoid being dragged into your childish and misleading behavior in the future.

I’ll leave you with words of my second home country, Cuba.

Hasta siempre muchachos, Kurt B

Last edited by Kurt B on Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:30 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

No, do not leave KurtB...we need all expertise we can get.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:10 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Please stay, we really need all the good information we can get. Vintage information is so hard to come by, it would be a shame to have you leave.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:16 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
ALright, here we go........

Kurt and I see eye to eye on a lot of things, and have had some PMs where we have agreed on certain topics.

I happen to be a believer in the 1952 Navitimer concept, but view everything with open minds. I was asked yesterday about beads on the bezel by BreitlingMuseum and provided an answer that was at first agreed with and then disagreed with (when there was $100 on the line!) and now magically there is a known situation where 92 bead bezels are from 1952 / 53. I disagree with that, and it is something that i hadn't heard until yesterday.

Now, unfortunately moving beyond watches.........

BreitlingMuseum generates strong opinions on this forum, and regrettably I get many requests, both publicly and privately to do something about it. BreitlingMuseum has been on a 'final warning' for months and he has been complying with the rules since that point.

However, in the last few weeks there is a much more aggressive attitude in the vintage forum and it concerns me greatly. As a moderator I am responsible for the atmosphere here, and just because people are playing within the letter of the rules that doesn't mean that they are always within the spirit.

We have a number of very knowledgable members here, and some of the discussions in recent weeks can serve to advance the debate on these pieces - this place can be the single most important place for advancing the knowledge of vintage Breitlings, the 806 family in particular. However, there is also a significant danger that the place will implode because of egos and attitudes - I WILL NOT ALLOW THAT TO HAPPEN.

There are members here who make money from these pieces, and I have no problem with that - whether that money is made on the Buy / Sell / Trade section or in other places. There are also members on here who have been banned from other places and may be here simply because there is nowhere else left - I have no problem with that either as long as they don't disrup things here. There are also members who have a track record of selling 'questionable' pieces, and I do have a problem with that - although it doesn't automatically detract from their knowledge.

I am a vintage Breitling collector, I have a level of knowledge that I can share here, but I can also learn much more than I can give from other knowledgeable members - the same can be said for many others.

I desperately want everyone here to be able to get along and further the discussion on these fantastic pieces, but no individual member is bigger than the forum and if it is impossible for everyone to get along then I will make changes to the membership to restore harmony. Based on public and private comments there is clearly only one change that the membership want me to make.

It is everyone's responsibility to make this place a positive place, it will be a sad day for me if I have to ban people because of the environment that is being created.

I hear so often about how BreitlingSource is different from other places because of the atmosphere and attitude of members - the Vintage forum can be no different.

I appreciate everyone's respect for this great place.

Roff.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:38 am 
King of Ling
King of Ling

I personaly dont see why everyone cant get along, If you dont like someones posts ignore them, Not everyone will see eye to eye so just accept that and use ignore. :lingsrock:

But apart from that agree with everything Roff said :bow:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:23 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Usually I would agree with the just ignore, however when newbies are looking to this site for education they may not have the knowledge level to know who to ignore. An open debate is fairly obvious, but some people making what looks like a statement of fact (when it is not) could be confusing.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:29 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

packrat wrote:
Usually I would agree with the just ignore, however when newbies are looking to this site for education they may not have the knowledge level to know who to ignore. An open debate is fairly obvious, but some people making what looks like a statement of fact (when it is not) could be confusing.

Agreed. Although the early history of Breitling is murky, misinformation fueled by egotistical arguments is not in the spirit of the forum. I think dose of humility is in order for all involved. Posing an alternative hypothesis, supported by evidence, will never be looked down upon.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:38 am 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Iantheklutz wrote:
packrat wrote:

Agreed. Although the early history of Breitling is murky, misinformation fueled by egotistical arguments is not in the spirit of the forum. I think dose of humility is in order for all involved. Posing an alternative hypothesis, supported by evidence, will never be looked down upon.

Agreed I am always will to learn new things and whilst I dont always agree with others I do try to listen and be objective, Everyone has a contribution to make. :bow: And everyone can add or take away from this place :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:07 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 1 post
packrat wrote:

:yeahthat I am a complete newbie, and have been having a blast reading everywhere in this entire forum (believe me, I often rue the day I discovered Breitling Source, and how much time it has claimed from everyday of my life since...). But while I enjoy the many points of views, imo, you cannot allow "benefit of the doubt" for those raising "questionable" views WHEN THEY ARE ALSO SELLING "questionable" vintage watches!! That's conflict-of-interest, pure and simple, and should never be allowed in any open intelligent debate to further the pool of knowledge of an entire group of sincere and serious enthusiasts. That will only serve to taint the collective knowledge of a topic that is already so "murky" to begin with! My 0.02

Add: Conflict-of-interest does NOT mean the person is without knowledgable. It means the knowledge/view that person provides is BIASED / WITH ULTERIOR MOTIVES and hence, cannot be trusted.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:52 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Very well spoken, Roff !

As I´m pretty new to this place and a bloody greenhorn concerning detailed knowledge so far I enjoyed reading a lot of threads with informative and entertaining content. But let me say that I`m
amazed about grown up gentlemen getting into arguments like little boys at the playground.

Everybody who can afford a hobby like ours should be a happy man ! Life is short, enjoy it every hour ! A day without senseless aggression and insults is much nicer !

A vintage watch is a very nice thing, but not the most important thing in life ! Everybody should question his basic attidude sometimes.

While I`m sitting here writing, I got my black 1961 NOS 806, which I just bought, right beside me. I look at it once in a while and enjoy its unique design and original beauty. I feel good that I purchased it and I`m happy that I possess it ! And let me tell you what: I don`t care if it has got 92 beads or if the first Navitimer is from 52 or 54 ! I can understand that my approach is a little too simple for some of you, but for sure there`s no reason to leave a well-mannered level in a discussion.

Kurt, come on, there`s absolutely! no real reason to leave the forum, do me a favour, take your time and think about it !

Take it easy and just have fun everybody,
cheers, Julius