Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 11:59 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Breitling Tri-Compax ??
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:53 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 0 post
Here I am for the first time disconcerted. Is this clock genuine or not?

http://cgi.ebay.de/BREITLING-1940ER-18K ... 5639a24d3d

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:47 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Hallo Roff, what is your opinion about this watch ?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:34 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 414 posts
Breitling on the dial looks redone. Movement might be either a Venus 152 or 178, hard to tell from the pic, but probably ok. Never heard of a ref 903 and the serial number doesn't jive for the age of the watch. Conclusion: 18k Frankenwatch.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:15 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
breitlingmuseum wrote:
Hallo Roff, what is your opinion about this watch ?

Sorry, missed this one.

As Paul says, the serial number is inconsistent with the era, and the model number isn't close to anything that I can find documented. The dial logo is good, but the application looks flat and inconsistent with the rest of the dial - stencilled or machined in my opinion.

I see no evidence that the movement has been modified to offer any additional anti-magnetic properties, so not sure what supports the antimagnetique claim on the dial - quite possibly because the dial doesn't match the movement. It's also odd to have a gold watch be claimed as anti-magnetic as gold offers less protection than stainless steel.

The movement itself looks to me like a 178, but as Paul says, it could be a 152 - minor visible differences and you end up looking at things like scre positions which are unreliable. It's also odd to have no incabloc in a gold case (though obviously not unknown).

I'm with Paul, I think that this is a frankenwatch with only the movement being donated by a Breitling.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:57 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

thanks for the coments. I am realy very uncertain about this watch.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:14 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

I am the one who bought this watch yesterday. :shock:

Unfortunately I have noticed it only shortly before the end of the auction - so I had no time to do some research.
Now I had...and an antimagnetic chronograph was invented by Vacheron Constantin in 1954. What does the serial no. tell me in regard of the year? Is that really supposed to be a 1940s watch?

Thanks for your help!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:03 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

alingher wrote:
I am the one who bought this watch yesterday. :shock:

Unfortunately I have noticed it only shortly before the end of the auction - so I had no time to do some research.
Now I had...and an antimagnetic chronograph was invented by Vacheron Constantin in 1954. What does the serial no. tell me in regard of the year? Is that really supposed to be a 1940s watch?

Thanks for your help!

The serial number doesn't tell you anything I'm afraid because it's not a Breitling caseback. The watch is likely 40s or 50s, if the serial number were a real Breitling one then it would be before the reliable dating started but likely 30s.

In terms of anti-magnetic, claims have been made for a very long time about watches having anti-magnetic properties, but in earlier watches it generally just meant better shielding.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:52 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Roffensian wrote:

The serial number doesn't tell you anything I'm afraid because it's not a Breitling caseback. The watch is likely 40s or 50s, if the serial number were a real Breitling one then it would be before the reliable dating started but likely 30s.

In terms of anti-magnetic, claims have been made for a very long time about watches having anti-magnetic properties, but in earlier watches it generally just meant better shielding.

Ok, so far this watch seems to have:

- a Venus 178 (maybe 152) movement, probably Breitling?
- a dial which seems to fit a Venus 178, definitely not Breitling?
- a case which also seems to fit a Venus 178, the serial and the ref engraved on the caseback look like Breitling, don't they? Would it be possible, that this is an older Breitling case?

I guess I'd best withdraw from the deal? Or is a Venus 178 and a golden case worth the price, anyway?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:10 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

alingher wrote:
Roffensian wrote:

Ok, so far this watch seems to have:

- a Venus 178 (maybe 152) movement, probably Breitling?
- a dial which seems to fit a Venus 178, definitely not Breitling?
- a case which also seems to fit a Venus 178, the serial and the ref engraved on the caseback look like Breitling, don't they? Would it be possible, that this is an older Breitling case?

I guess I'd best withdraw from the deal? Or is a Venus 178 and a golden case worth the price, anyway?

I don't think that the case is Breitling either - the movement does look genuine Breitling, but that's it for me.

Is it worth the price you paid - well, that's your call. If you enjoy it as a watch then it's not a horrendous deal, just be aware of it's limitations. If you want a Breitling then you are better off looking elsewhere.

Post subject: Never a Breitling
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:11 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 1 post
See that base metal ring around the movement that is marked "METAL." That was a requirement for Swiss makers to show that only a small amount of gold was used in the case of a "Chronograph Suisse." It is very common to see these re-badged as Breitlings and other more up-scale makers. The more common varieties have the "egg shell" caseback that needs a base metal liner to avoid dents and bending.

Breitling never used such cases.

Post subject: Re: Never a Breitling
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:32 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Bill in Sacramento wrote:
See that base metal ring around the movement that is marked "METAL." That was a requirement for Swiss makers to show that only a small amount of gold was used in the case of a "Chronograph Suisse." It is very common to see these re-badged as Breitlings and other more up-scale makers. The more common varieties have the "egg shell" caseback that needs a base metal liner to avoid dents and bending.

Breitling never used such cases.

Ah ok, I was wondering why it was marked "Metal". I was aware of the fact, that this was not wood.
But this only refers to the ring, doesn't it? The case is still 18kt gold?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:47 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Case is gold, or at least the hallmark looks genuine. Just bear in mind that not all gold cases are created equal - sometimes the gold is very thin so you have to go by weight to determine gold content.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:19 pm 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

So, now I have confronted the seller with this findings. He says:

- it's actually a Venus 175 movement
- it's called antimagnetique because there is an additional metal base under the base for an antimagnetic field.
- this case cannot be a Chronograph Suisse case, because the have not used Venus movements and therefore the pushers would not be at the right place.

He says I can withdraw from the buy if I want to, but now I am not sure, anymore.

What do you reckon?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 5:16 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 414 posts
alingher wrote:
So, now I have confronted the seller with this findings. He says:

- it's actually a Venus 175 movement
- it's called antimagnetique because there is an additional metal base under the base for an antimagnetic field.
- this case cannot be a Chronograph Suisse case, because the have not used Venus movements and therefore the pushers would not be at the right place.

He says I can withdraw from the buy if I want to, but now I am not sure, anymore.

What do you reckon?

Pretty strange. The Venus 175 is a two register movement and he even describes it as a Venus 178 in the ad, which is a three register movement. I'd walk away from this one given the opportunity.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 5:56 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

vintage wrote:
I'd walk away from this one given the opportunity.

+1