The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 11:44 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:21 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 0 post
I ordered a NOS Aviation 6801 (like the old Breitling 1806s) from Albert Wajs nearly three months ago, and Australia Post lost it. I was very unhappy.

1) I received the replacement watch today, which looks great (although it doesn’t have the word “Automatic” printed on the dial which all other Aviation 6801s I’ve seen on the net do) and was running when I opened the box. I was very happy. I do like the word "Automatic" on the dial, but overall, it is so much cleaner than any 1806 I have ever seen - like a time warp to 1977.

2) However, when I attempted to set the time, the movement of the crown was extremely stiff, but it did turn through about 14 hours before the crown “slipped”. It seems if I let the watch sit for a while, it stops “slipping” if I try to set the time, but is again extremely stiff.

3) The crown movement is also very stiff to manually wind.

4) I have managed to set the time, but I don’t wish to rotate through multiple 24 hour cycles to set the date as I appreciate forcing the movement is unwise.

5) I have worn the watch for a few hours with some “vigorous” arm movement to wind the movement right up. It is keeping good time, and the chrono is working fine.

Now, at this point in this saga I’m kinda numb, scared and unsure what to do.

I am fairly certain that 2) and 3) are symptoms of old dried oils and that I shouldn’t force the movement. However, given it was running when I opened the box and point 5) perhaps indicates the lubrication problem is somewhat isolated – perhaps just the gear train from the crown to the mainspring, I don’t know.

My understanding is that Mr Wajs is quite senior, and he has been very helpful in arranging the replacement watch – he even sent it to me before receiving compensation from the postal agencies and included a lovely NOS Zenith ladies watch as a gift. The little Zenith fired up no probs! I guess I’m reluctant to send it back – especially if it just needs to have the caseback off and a bit of oil applied at a few points without the need for a complete disassembly.

Should I give it a few days, and so long as it keeps good time, find a local watchmaker to service it - perhaps I’m being optimistic that it “just” needs a service – maybe $300-500 tops if no parts are broken? Perhaps it will wear in after a few days?

Or, should I have expected this NOS watch to have recently been serviced, and send it back to Mr Wajs? The watch comes with a 12 month warranty, which made me assume it had been serviced. However, more experienced vintage guys on this site may say “no, you can’t assume that and you should have asked”?

I’ve read plenty of horror stories about new Breitlings being faulty, and I know that NOS pieces can be problematic, and indeed that the Buren Calibre 12, as a first generation auto chrono, cannot be expected to be as solid as a 7750 based movement.

It cost about USD $2,200 - less than half a minty 1806. Maybe I still got a good deal even if I have to arrange for a service?

What’s the diagnosis?

What should I do?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:58 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 2 posts
My first thought is that the set lever screw is loose. Based on how loose it is, the set lever might be riding up out of the groove in the clutch wheel. It slides back and forth on the stem to either set or wind the watch. In that scenario, the clutch wheel might not fully engage the motion works when setting, or the winding pinion when winding. It could also increase the friction on the wheel making it difficult to turn.

I would not attempt to wind or set the watch. This is not a problem related to lubrication. If my armchair diagnosis is correct, it will require some disassembly of the watch, i.e., removal of the hands and dial, and possibly more. If it also needs a full service, that is the time to do it.

I have no idea where you are located or how difficult it is for you to return the watch. That would be my first choice. My second choice would be to deliver it to a competent local watchmaker for repair. If that is not something you are comfortable with, then contact Craig (Chronodeco) and see if he will take it in for repair.

Super Avenger

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:45 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Thanks mate.

The slipping clutch diagnosis intuitively sounds right – I haven’t tried to reset the time, but there is resistance again if I test it.

Over the last six hours, including a long walk (a bit of stress relief!) and letting the watch rest at various positions, it is tracking spot on with my Bentley GT, which has always been well within COSC. Well, I suppose more precisely, it is spot on with my PC time!

I phoned a couple of watchmakers in Sydney, but they indicated they weren’t keen on touching a seventies chrono. However, they did mention other local watchmakers who I will phone tomorrow.

If it keeps running as well as it is, I’m thinking of just enjoying it for a week or so and taking my time finding the right person to tweak it.

I’m planning on doing a comparison review with my GT with some pics eventually – it really is a stunning piece with a strange new, yet old, vibe.

Any further advice is welcome!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:58 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
Not a chance in heck that I am going to disagree with Marty - he has just a tad more experience than me at this watchmaking lark :lol:

What I would say is definitely get it serviced at the same time - this is a NOS piece so the oils will have broken down long ago.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:21 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Yeah, well I know I'm in the right place for advice!

I will get around to taking some pics - this thing looks pretty sharp next to a Bentley GT, so I have no doubt it would give a new Chronomatic 49 a run for it's money in the style department.

Very interesting chronograph - apart from this issue, it just oozes quality...in a seventies kinda way!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:29 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 19 posts
I would not try to continue to set the hands - damage can occur to the set train. The cal 12 has an off center cannon pinion that can only be accessed and oiled when the movement is partially disassembled. The winding mechanism has a series of gear reductions that make it a little stiff even when serviced. Lack of oil will only make it worse. Lastly, the seal on the crown may have deteriorated making the crown hard to turn even if it was not connected to the movement. Craig

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:38 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 2 posts
chronodeco wrote:
I would not try to continue to set the hands - damage can occur to the set train. The cal 12 has an off center cannon pinion that can only be accessed and oiled when the movement is partially disassembled. The winding mechanism has a series of gear reductions that make it a little stiff even when serviced. Lack of oil will only make it worse. Lastly, the seal on the crown may have deteriorated making the crown hard to turn even if it was not connected to the movement. Craig

Agree with all of the above, especially the advice not to attempt to set it. What led me to the loose set lever was the reported slippage when setting the hands, which I attributed to lack of full engagement of the clutch. I will be interested to learn the final outcome.

Super Avenger