The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 1:33 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:53 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 0 post
OK maybe I am dense, but what does the number of beads on the bezel prove? Do we have a positive correlation to anything or are we speculating?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:25 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
packrat wrote:
OK maybe I am dense, but what does the number of beads on the bezel prove? Do we have a positive correlation to anything or are we speculating?

The Valjoux 72s have 115 beads. From that point on the number of beads decreased / size increased to the 92 that we saw when the beaded bezel was discontinued and replaced by the coin edge.

This is one of the key arguments in favour of the 72s being the earliest Navitimers as the 824xxx serial number pieces have 92 beads.

Michael is now suggesting that in fact the 62 / 63 watches have 93 beads and only the 824xxx 806s have 92, thereby giving substance to the argument that these were separate (earlier) watches.

However, there is a fatal flaw in Michael's logic in my opinion - the fact that the 62 / 63s have 92 beads, not 93.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:39 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Wow, a thin thread to be sure, however Breitling doesn't leave us much else. Now I have to go home and count beads. And I thought this evening would be boring.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:17 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

OK here we go, Navitimer with serial number 868xxx, 92 beads. Another piece of information for the Navitimer puzzle.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:47 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Code:
I am really sorry but I think that you are sarcastic.

Sorry, but it was not meant sarcastically, possible that my english is so bad. It is my sole to provide information and awareness of history, not personal animosity. Sometimes, however, I want deliberately to encourage a thesis on the controversy, but I dont want to personally attack anyone here. I ask politely to be excused if this is misunderstood.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:45 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Code:
Michael is now suggesting that in fact the 62 / 63 watches have 93 beads and only the 824xxx 806s have 92, thereby giving substance to the argument that these were separate (earlier) watches.

However, there is a fatal flaw in Michael's logic in my opinion - the fact that the 62 / 63s have 92 beads, not 93.

Hi Roff, excuse 1000 times, when I nerve you. But I didnt want suggest that only the 824... have 92 beads, it changed a little bid later, but in the late 1950's, or in the very early 1960's. , 100 % before 1963.
Are you 100 % sure that your 62/63 Navitimer has 92 and not 93 beads - it a real important question in this context. Please send us a photo and we can count it. There may be exceptions, of course, that Breitling has used in the old lunettes from the stock or a watchmaker has exchanged by a revision, but I've counted at more than 20 Navitimers of the 1962/63's, there were always 93. And I Iwould be real happy, if Kurt also count his beads, but maybe we can count it from the photos, if he dont want. And later it changed to 94

Code:
The Valjoux 72s have 115 beads. From that point on the number of beads decreased / size increased to the 92 that we saw when the beaded bezel was discontinued and replaced by the coin edge.

Kurt also says in his article:
"so basically one can say – the more beads on the bezel the earlier."

But this theorie is not true, it was a false conclusion. First, I have Valjoux 72 with 122 beads, not 115.

So I think it was just the opposite, the more beads, the later the Navitimer Navitimer were produced,

The Valjoux Navitimer were only exception to the rule in every way, especially for the AOPA similar as military air force watches. Compare please here: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=16823
Only the rest of the small beads was further depleted in other 1955's Navitimers, just like the rest of the Valjoux caliber and other parts of the stock in 1967 has been used up .
That is why a lot of the 1967 Navitimers are different of the norm and are in no way Frankenwatches.

Code:
OK here we go, Navitimer with serial number 868xxx, 92 beads. Another piece of information for the Navitimer puzzle.

You are right, it changed not in 1953, but a little bid later in the 1950's, or very early in the 1960's, this exact what I want find out with my counting action.

So now you can stone me back on my findings, but I'm not blind.

Last edited by breitlingmuseum on Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:47 am, edited 4 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:10 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Code:
I count 92......but I must admit, I only counted twice as it is so annoying, so maybe I've got it wrong. :D
Best,
T.

Hi Tom,
you have indeed 92 beads, and it was your 1953's Navitimer without incabloc ?

For all here, its easier when you print your photo and count on the paper and mark every 10 beads with a pen.