Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:57 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:27 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 3 posts
Hey everyone,

For those keen to see the solar eclipse on Monday next week, August 21, where will you be viewing from? Will you make a trip to be in the narrow path of totality, where the moon's shadow sweeps across the face of the Earth? I'm headed to southern Idaho for two minutes of totality! Just remember to use eye protection.

Attachment:
2017 Solar Eclipse path - Idaho.jpg

dams-r-us

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Last edited by dams-r-us on Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:21 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 3 posts
Just back from my trip to southern Idaho to view the total solar eclipse. Our group was up at nearly 1,400 metres in the hills about 30 km north of a small community called Crouch. It was a lot of driving for 130 seconds of totality, but well worth it. Nothing like I’ve ever seen, but it was more than just a visual experience. In the final 10, or 15 minutes before totality, the dimming sun lost of most of its power, casting a weak, bluish light. The sun didn’t feel warm on the skin, the air was very much cooler – you could tell something was going on. At the Silver Creek Campground, there were about 60 camp sites and when totality began, a cheer rose up across the camp and it was really exciting to hear and know that we were all focused on the same thing.

Attachment:
Eclipse1a - Aug 21 2017.jpg

To see the moon in front of the sun and to look at it safely without any protection was just hard to wrap my mind around. When totality started, the shadow of the moon swept over us so fast (about 2,900 km/h) it was like a light had been switched off. We could see the planet Venus, higher and to the west, well before and after totality. In this first photo above, I did capture the planet Mercury, (faint speck just inside the left edge of photo about same height as “dams-r-us”) but I couldn’t see it with the naked eye when totality was underway. The purple fringes around the moon are camera effects – not part of the real view.

Attachment:
Eclipse3 - Aug 21 2017.jpg

This photo above shows solar prominences – the sun throwing off material (plasma, a hot gas comprised of electrically charged hydrogen and helium). The sun’s corona is less in this photo because I reduced the aperture on the camera. It got rid of the colour fringe too.

Attachment:
Eclipse4 - Aug 21 2017.jpg

This is the famous diamond ring effect – taken at the end of totality and maybe a fraction of a second late, so it looks a little overexposed, (unless you like big diamonds!:wink:) but I’m just happy I got it!

Attachment:
Milky Way1b - Aug 21 2017.jpg

Also, later in the evening that day, it was so clear and dark that the stars looked marvellous. I took some images and here’s one showing part of our Milky Way galaxy. I did Photoshop this last photo because it looked too red straight out of the camera, the others above are cropped, but unprocessed.

If you have any photos, or stories to share of this eclipse, please post!

dams-r-us

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

poppydog likes this post.