The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:39 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:55 am 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

Liked in: 364 posts
On Sept 1, eBay will lift it's final vale cap on sellers fees from £75/€100 to £250/€300 Not sure what US limits are) Less profit for sellers and I think higher expectations on prices to cover this 300% fee increase.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:31 am 
Contributing Connoisseur
Contributing Connoisseur

Liked in: 626 posts
Thanks for the heads up.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:12 pm 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

Liked in: 11 posts
That's quite an increase, do the fees go up in slabs?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:23 pm 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 19 posts
Ebay has become a really ugly place in the past few years and this will make it even uglier! Getting around ebay and paypal fees makes my day! I think buyers fees will be next.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:47 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 534 posts
Location: Santa Marta colombia on our way to french polynesia
Just a heads up

Germany started to charge final value fees on auctions that have been ended early , I assume to prevent selling outside ebay

Once one country started this , I am sure this practise will soon follow in all ebay countries

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:50 pm 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

Liked in: 364 posts
Dracha wrote:
Just a heads up

Germany started to charge final value fees on auctions that have been ended early , I assume to prevent selling outside ebay

Once one country started this , I am sure this practise will soon follow in all ebay countries

That was also part of the fee changes I read for here in UK too. I think it was you would be charged the final fee if there was a bid and if you ended the auction with less than 24 hours to go.

Last edited by buddman on Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:22 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 534 posts
Location: Santa Marta colombia on our way to french polynesia
buddman wrote:
Dracha wrote:
Just a heads up

That was also part of the fee changes I read for here in UK too. I think it was you would be charged the final fee if there was a bud and if you ended the auction with less than 24 hours to go.

In germany you can end within 24 hours AFTER you started the auction , if you leave it on ebay for any longer than 24 hours and end it then you will be charged a final fee. The only way around this that I can see is put it up with a BIN and 'make an offer' and then wait for the auction to end ?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:51 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
Dracha wrote:
Just a heads up

I think this will mean the end of getting a potential bargain on eBay as sellers will simply ensure that their starting price is already the minimum they will be prepared to sell it for.... .plus no doubt an extra amount to cover the hike in fees. :roll:

Fee increases of that magnitude are completely unacceptable IMO. It's just pure profiteering. Are they not making enough money already? Seems like the time would be right for an alternative auction site to take them on....

Site Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:24 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 414 posts
Dracha wrote:
Just a heads up

They've been doing this in the US for a while now. I had it out with them about six months ago about this. That's why you see more fixed price auctions with offers now because you don't have to worry about any bids and closing early fee's because you sold elsewhere. With fixed price auctions there are no bids for them to put a fee on because it sits as unsold until closed or sold.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:26 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 28 posts
I have just been asked by eBay to participate in a survey (again) but this time it looks tailored to some of the hot buttons you all mention above.

I am about to launch into a bit of a tirade, as I have had some if the most ridiculous and silly excuses for covering a higher sellers price in the past few months. Sellers sighting new eBay rules on certain shipping conditions for an instance, which if true makes it darn near impossible to get even a reasonable price.

There are other sites to buy and sell on, but in my experience none have the reach or confidence of eBay. It's stickiness is rather compelling!

"You have Control".