Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:29 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: Depression
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:55 am 
All Roads lead to Breitling
All Roads lead to Breitling

Liked in: 33 posts
By speaking out, and by others sharing experience even if with loved ones, chances are someone unable to speak out will find the courage to seek help. That's why I am not timid discussing my own "problems" or former problems, even if it might make some uncomfortable. Sooner or later, someone who needs to see it reaches out.

Call me an optimist, but that is my experience, coming from a father who came closer to losing a child than I ever thought possible. And for anyone who ever reads this, today or two years from now, let me repeat - she got help and today she is fine. There is a solution - that's the message!

Post subject: Depression
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:26 am 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 809 posts
I endured a bout of situational depression that lasted from September 2010 until early 2012. It was hell. I really feel for you Davey. It can feel pretty bleak, eh? For what it's worth I'm around to chat.

From my limited point of view I think there have been some generous sentiments and good advice in this thread, especially from Shark. I'm typing on my phone, away from home so I'm a bit hamstrung. But things I found helpful during that 18 months were...

Good professional psych help. There's a reason they go to school for this stuff!

Friends who loved me and dug in with me. They didn't have to understand, they just had to be there.

Exercise. I've always been fit and exercise really helped balance out my emotions etc and give me time to get away.

My faith. I'm a Christian and knowing God was my Dad helped no end. Sometimes praying was about the only thing that made sense.

Good on you for sharing mate: in the middle of it all I found speaking about it pretty awful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:02 pm 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 168 posts
My friends,

I am astounded by your response to my out there post.

Mine is deep rooted abuse, whilst, "in care" I was in a children's home, where the care was occasionally miss rooted, I'd like to leave it at that, if I may?

I am in a period of horrid change. I need to drink less, but when I do I sleep less. Then I feel worse.

So that is when I think f*** it drink equals sleep.

But it's not the answer. I know that.
My councillor is not a person I like much, but I don't want sympathy. I want to get well.

I'm sorry to unload my position here, but it may strike a chord on one of our members, and perhaps lead them to seek help, not a 560 ft jump 3 of people close to me have chosen

My kindest regards to your best wishes and thoughts.

I hope this was not a horribly wrong thread to open.

Davey

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:26 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
Damnfoolman wrote:

Davey

I can't imagine how horribly hard it was for you to start this thread, but horribly wrong - absolutely not. This is a watch forum that allows us to debate the most trivial things at length, but every now and then we are reminded that there are real people with real life challenges behind those familiar usernames. That is when this forum can be at its best and while you might walk past any one of us in the street without ever knowing it, as you can see many, many people are here for any support that you may want to reach for.

You aren't alone in the real world, and you aren't alone here either. Always remember that Davey.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:59 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 3 posts
I have suffered from depression a couple of years ago. My ex girlfriend came home on a Friday afternoon, and told me it was over, and I have till the end of the weekend to live the house. I left Sunday afternoon to stay with a friend, and then lived with another friend for awhile. The loss of my ex was causing me to mourn the loss of her. I had to go seek professional help to get better. Although it was good to talk about it, I felt I wasn't getting any better. I realized I had to go home to my family and clear my mind, and be fat enough from the place where this happened to me. I was away with my family for two months, and felt so much better after. In no way am I telling you drop everything and leave, just telling you my story, and the action I've taken. You're not alone, and you'll always have someone to talk to. It's good you are admitting you need help, it'll make it easier to get better. Depression is not fully understood, but medication and therapy can help greatly. I can't say I know exactly how you feel, but it's pretty close. Hang in there, and continue setting a therapist. If you don't like your current therapist, don't hesitate to look for another one. It's your life we're talking about. Spend time with friends, and family especially. Sometimes, the love and care of family can make wonders in one's life.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:59 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 4 posts
with all due respect to non believers, i'm not trying to argue or offend, life makes so much more sense with the infinite love and goodness of an ultimate Good. Ontological actuality is verified if string theory is correct basically this means there is an excellent possibility that ultimate Good does exist. At a personal level prayer has been transformative to my life and I hope you don't mind that I will pray for your added joy and peace.

I recommend checking out the positive good message of http://www.josephprince.org/ Joesph Prince. Exercise also helps a lot as does accomplishing small goals but not as much as faith in my experience.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:32 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 0 post
Damnfoolman wrote:
My councillor is not a person I like much, but I don't want sympathy. I want to get well.

I went through a lengthy period of depression, with some really dark times. Once I realized that I HAD to do something about it, I struggled with accepting some of the help that is available - I didn't want to just pop a magic pill that would make everything "seem" better, and I thought counselors were a waste of time (and money). I was wrong on both fronts.

The meds were by no means "happy pills" as I originally thought, but rather I seemed to simply be able to keep my emotions in check more, and that certainly helped me to focus on recovery. As for the counselor, I went through 2 before finding one that really clicked with me and I think that is really important. It's hard to open up to someone with whom you don't have some sort of positive connection. Once I found someone that made me comfortable, I opened up a lot more. I found for me that it was helpful to have that impartial sounding board. I found that if I talked to friends or family, I got a lot of sympathy and a lot of "it will get better." That's not what I needed; I needed someone to listen, and help me to organize my thoughts and emotions. In my sessions, I ended up doing the vast majority of talking and the more I listened to myself, I realized more and more that recovery was completely in my control, and I actually had a lot of the answers to my own questions.

Everyone is different, everyone's experiences are different. What was best for me might not be best for you. I would encourage you though to find a counselor that you click with. You might find that it makes a whole lot of difference.

Stay strong

Breitling Transocean Chronograph LE

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:59 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 97 posts
Roffensian wrote:
Damnfoolman wrote:

Davey

I can't imagine how horribly hard it was for you to start this thread, but horribly wrong - absolutely not. This is a watch forum that allows us to debate the most trivial things at length, but every now and then we are reminded that there are real people with real life challenges behind those familiar usernames. That is when this forum can be at its best and while you might walk past any one of us in the street without ever knowing it, as you can see many, many people are here for any support that you may want to reach for.

You aren't alone in the real world, and you aren't alone here either. Always remember that Davey.

These are my sentiments exactly. Nothing but support and caring :)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:03 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 17 posts
Hey Davey,

I can't add much that hasn't already been said, but I wanted you to know that you have one more supporter in me. Reading through this thread is easily the most emotional thing I've experienced while on this forum. As unfortunate as your circumstances are, if nothing else, they've shown how diverse our members are. I can't imagine having something like this on another major watch forum.

That being said, you did not make a mistake by bringing this up. By doing so, you just got yourself ~15 supporters that you didn't know you had before. My wife suffers from depression and it took me a really long time to fully understand what it is. I was always under the impression that people who suffered from clinical depression were just "weak minded." I couldn't have been more incorrect. As people have mentioned, it stems from a chemical imbalance in one's brain and it's near impossible to address alone.

You probably should find a psychiatrist/therapist that you like. Treating depression is definitely an art and you need to find someone who works for you. I actually started going to therapy sessions with my wife and I was amazed at how helpful they were- not only providing me with a more academic insight into depression, but also helping to work out some of my own issues that were manifesting themselves in my marriage. You can imagine how surprised I was.

I can't express how important it was for my wife to get me on board. I very much hope that your wife and family are understanding and supportive of your situation, but if not, have them come along to the therapy sessions. This is really where my eyes were opened.

You're definitely not alone in this. Depression statistics vary, but I've seen studies that peg the overall prevalence between 10-20% of the population. Fortunately, with the right help, you WILL get better. There is light at the end of the tunnel and we're all here to help you with the journey.

-Craig

Navitimer 01- Limited Edition #1337/2000

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:35 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 168 posts
coltstrong wrote:
with all due respect to non believers, i'm not trying to argue or offend, life makes so much more sense with the infinite love and goodness of an ultimate Good. Ontological actuality is verified if string theory is correct basically this means there is an excellent possibility that ultimate Good does exist. At a personal level prayer has been transformative to my life and I hope you don't mind that I will pray for your added joy and peace.

I recommend checking out the positive good message of http://www.josephprince.org/ Joesph Prince. Exercise also helps a lot as does accomplishing small goals but not as much as faith in my experience.

Hi there Colt,

Thank you for the kind reply.

Whilst not sharing your faith, I embrace the sentiment with both arms! I believe there is a greater good, otherwise where would we all be. I think it comes from humanity itself, so far, thankfully, there seems to be more good people out there than bad.

I'll gratefully accept your kind prayers. Thank you so much for your kind support.

Davey