Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:29 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Maui Recommendations?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:21 pm 
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Liked in: 343 posts
My wife and I just booked a trip to Maui for next year. We'll be taking our 2 kids with, our daughter is 5 and our son will almost be 2. It's our first trip to Hawaii and I'd love to hear any suggestions that any members have on what to do and what not to do. We're staying in the Wailea area for 11 nights so we should have plenty of time to see a lot, although the main point of the trip is just to relax.

Visit them on the web at http://www.govbergwatches.com or call 800-528-8463

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:23 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 0 post
My parents stayed at both the Ritz and Grand Wailea, they though the GW was 10 times better. As far as things to do, I'm sure if you talk to the concierge when you walk in, you will be fine ;)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:25 pm 
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

We're staying at the Fairmont which is next to the Grand Wailea. It was between those 2 hotels but the rooms at the Farimont are twice as big.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:26 pm 
Wild Ling, You Make my Heart Sing!
Wild Ling, You Make my Heart Sing!

Liked in: 0 post
I was there in July at the Four Seasons. Played golf at the Wailea course with a guy staying at the Fairmont and he said it was very nice, and that it was fun for his little boy. The hotel probably has a snorkeling rental, which will either be free or pretty inexpensive. Thats definitely something you wanna do. I took my gopro with me and have some underwater vids of eels, sea turtles, fish etc. You literally go out to the back behind the hotel to the beach and swim out toward the rocks.

If you can get away from the fam for a day or two, play some golf. I played two of the Wailea courses and Kapalua. This assumes that you like to play golf. Theres really not much to do in Wailea but relax at your hotel, play golf, or go shopping, but thats kind of what makes it special.

Although I didnt have time to do it, everyone and their mom will tell you to go to Hana. Its a full day affair if you have a car, but apparently everything along the way is all that crazy stuff you expect to see in Hawaii (waterfalls, jungles etc). If you look at the map, Hana looks close, but you cant actually drive directly there from Wailea since the roads are crazy dangerous. You have to drive all the way over the island and go around the backside.
Heres a pic to visualize it: (Four Seasons to the left, Fairmont to the right)
http://oi41.tinypic.com/1zpp7k9.jpg

There are also some neat little beaches all along the coast from Wailea to Kapalua that I drove along and stopped at. Its an easy drive that will kill a few hours.

Also make sure do set a day aside to go to Honolulu. Plane flights are cheap and like 20 minutes long. Youll have time to go see Pearl Harbor and check out the nice beaches and tons of shopping/places to eat in Waikiki, and be able to catch the night flight back the same day. Its such a short trip from Maui that you absolutely must make the trip. Its best to avoid those tour buses that take you all over the place, and to just do it all on your own with a taxi. Pearl harbor and Waikiki are both within about 15 minutes of the airport. Buy the Pearl Harbor tix online in advance.

Thats about all I got.

Last edited by RJRJRJ on Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:12 pm 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 11 posts
Interesting that you post this, I am going next week to Oahu for a memorial service for my wife's grandfather. Since we are bringing our two daughters (2 and 4) along with on the 9 hour flight, I thought we should make a vacation out of it. So we are staying in Waikiki for four days before moving over to the family's property for a couple nights. I'm sure I will have some recommendations as to how we kept my girls busy throughout the trip. I will let you know what we came up with!

RJ, We went to Pearl Harbor while we were on our honey moon eight years ago, it was definitely something to see and I recommend it as well. Also, we wound up taking the road to Hana. It is very pretty along the way, but also very sharp turns one after another, so if anyone gets a little car sick, this is NOT the ride for them, just a heads up.

Omega Aqua Terra 8500
Rolex Submariner Date Ceramic

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:28 pm 
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Thanks for the suggestions RJ and sco. A coworker told me about the road to Hana but I'm not sure about taking 2 small kids with. A day golfing would be nice so I may have to take your advice on that.