The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 5:58 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Dress shoes
PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 4:21 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 2 posts
Roffensian wrote:
Wildblue wrote:
Roff, I love those shoes! Wish I had ready access to AE.

Now that I know which sizes I need in each of the lasts I tend to order online - there are no AE stores in Canada and multi-brand stores have a lousy selection and D width only. Not sure if it applies to Alaska, but for most of the US AE offers free return shipping so not much risk either. Those Strawfuts are on clearance at AE now - end of season I guess, for $100 off.

Oh, man, I wish you wouldn't have told me that. ;) Now I'm soooooooo tempted. Beautiful shoe.

Club Member #0070
2009 TT Chrono Evo w/Rose gold, blue face
2009 Airwolf w/black face, Co-Pilot module
2009 TT Lady Cockpit w/Mother-of-Pearl, Diamond face for the wife

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:35 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 0 post
the AE recrafting program totally rocks, and they run specials for like $120 including shoe trees and bags. They come back basically new.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:10 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 3 posts
Second and third pair acquired today :)

I got two pairs of Cheaney captoe Oxfords, a black one and one in a mid brown tone that Cheaney calls dark leaf.

Both look great, fit great and are something to behold in terms of perceived quality.

Not quite like the Westons, which have a special finish on the soles including a closed channel and a rib cut from the insole instead of a cemented one... But the Cheaneys remain impressive nonetheless.

Fred

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:46 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
It's a slippery slope........

Congratulations! I was just looking at my closet and thinking that I needed more boot options for the winter :-)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:20 am 
Contributing Connoisseur
Contributing Connoisseur

Liked in: 105 posts
I get my dress shoes hand made by a small outfit in Central in Hong Kong a few floors above Shang Hai Tang. Perfect fit every time. One pair of blacks to go with black straps and one pair of browns to go with my brown croco straps ;-)
The odd pair of Loakes gets into the shoe cabinet now and then but I still prefer the locally hand and custom made ones.
On top of that a pair of hiking boots (hardly used), a pair of runners (also hardly used) a pair of bike shoes (used most weekends) and last but not least a pair of rubber flip flops (used as much as I can).

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:18 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Sounds great, seems like in Asia people really still know how to handmake stuff properly. Around here if at all its unforgivingly expensive...

Fred

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:06 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 17 posts
I'm going to go a little off topic here, but I think my question is still relevant. I have pretty narrow feet and have issues with my heels sliding out of my dress shoes. I have a pair of Santonis and Ferragamos. Is there something I can put in my shoes to keep my heel more secured?

Navitimer 01- Limited Edition #1337/2000

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:49 pm 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

bozman52 wrote:
I'm going to go a little off topic here, but I think my question is still relevant. I have pretty narrow feet and have issues with my heels sliding out of my dress shoes. I have a pair of Santonis and Ferragamos. Is there something I can put in my shoes to keep my heel more secured?

Not being an expert but i doubt there's many a cost effective way to narrow shoes along the back... One would have to entirely recraft the part where the heel is sewn together. Stuff to slide in would have to be quite hard to stay in place and could eventually injure your feet. Its not known as the achilles heel because its so terribly rugged.

This answer is clearly not a very satisfactory one, but i can at least add the following: there are some tying techniques with running shoes, that help against heel slipping. Then again this may only help with derby style shoes... And not look great either.

Fred

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:45 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

If your feet are slipping out of them then they are the wrong size - get your feet measured in a Brannock device and find out what width fitting you need.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:27 pm 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Roffensian wrote:
If your feet are slipping out of them then they are the wrong size - get your feet measured in a Brannock device and find out what width fitting you need.

Moving forward, this is good advice. However, I'm looking for a way to salvage the shoes I currently have. A while back I had some slip on loafers with the same issue. I found a heel pad thing that stuck to the heel cup of the shoe and it seemed to work alright. I was wondering if there may be more "elegant" options than this for my dress shoes, though.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:43 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

bozman52 wrote:
Roffensian wrote:

Moving forward, this is good advice. However, I'm looking for a way to salvage the shoes I currently have. A while back I had some slip on loafers with the same issue. I found a heel pad thing that stuck to the heel cup of the shoe and it seemed to work alright. I was wondering if there may be more "elegant" options than this for my dress shoes, though.

Heavy wool socks? Just kidding. In your case i'd be inclined to add material (pad or other) on top of the foot, ie under the laces. This might press the foot to the back of the shoe and fill out the heel. Or get the shoes cleaned and waxed and up on eBay...

Fred

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:49 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Hey Fred, thanks for the help. I have actually tried the pads that go under the laces and did not have great results. I haven't tried them in these specific shoes, so perhaps I could give them a shot again. I forgot about that option.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 1:12 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 1727 posts
a shoe made from a last that does not fit your foot will never be comfortable, whatever you do.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 3:10 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

WatchFred wrote:
a shoe made from a last that does not fit your foot will never be comfortable, whatever you do.

:yeahthat

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:54 am 
Contributing Connoisseur
Contributing Connoisseur

Liked in: 105 posts
bozman52 wrote:

This might be a very crude suggestion but I do remember in my young days when I still lived somewhere in central to Northern Europe, my leather shoes would occasionally get completely soaked in the winter melting sloshy snow. I was too lazy as a kid to give them a good coat of shoe polish to increase the water resistance (like my father told me to do) so the leather absorbed water like a sponge.
I would then put them next to the heater overnight to dry them out and sure enough, next morning they were pretty much one size too small and pretty stiff but a good dose of shoe wax would get the softeness back, mostly.
So I'm thinking, if you take one pair that you dislike most to experiment with, get them soaking wet and dry them rapidly in the sun or next to a heater. They are bound to shrink.
After that give them a good coat of wax based shoe polish and give them a day or so to absorb it to soften them up and it might just do the trick.
Not much lost if it does not work out if you pick your least favorite pair to experiment with but if it works, it might be one way to get some more use out of the shoes that you find a bit too big.
It might shorten their life expectancy somewhat but it should not matter much if you are not comfortable wearing them right now anyway. It might just work to get a few extra miles out off them.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next