The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:08 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:57 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 5 posts
thats exactly what I was asking about. I have a Kitchenaid mixer that I basically use almost everyday. I cook alot and it would be a real blow to lose that. But we will see what the future holds. thanks.

Past:
Black Dial Super Avenger with Numerals
Countless "high priced" cheapos

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:53 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 2 posts
I say good for you! I have spent well over half of my adult life living and working literally all over the globe. I think we Americans sometimes believe we are "cultured" and know all about other countries and cultures if we spend a week somewhere else on vacation. Often people will then come home and proclaim how superior and "progressive" those other places are, because they're so enamored with that week of experience, and that we need to be just like them. It takes a level of dedicated to live 24/7 somewhere else, and see the true economic, political, cultural, racial, historical, and other issues there when you get past the first appearances. I'm definitely a better person for having lived in other cultures, learning about the plusses and minuses of my own, and incorporating things from others into my own life.

Others here have already touched on a lot of the practical things. Yes, the voltage is an issue, but not insurmountable. Anything can be made to work if you want it enough. If you live there, you'll end up buying some new appliances, but go ahead and bring anything you like, and it can work. I even brought back electronics from Europe that I'm using here in the states now.

Are you sure you want to learn the new language, though? ;)

... and you DEFINITELY need to leave your white-face SA here in the states with me for safe-keeping.

Club Member #0070
2009 TT Chrono Evo w/Rose gold, blue face
2009 Airwolf w/black face, Co-Pilot module
2009 TT Lady Cockpit w/Mother-of-Pearl, Diamond face for the wife

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:18 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 17 posts
superavenger13, I moved from the US to the UK in September 2011 (from Seattle to Cambridge), so I can provide a great deal of first hand insight into doing such a thing. There is SO much I can tell you about that I'm actually not even sure where to begin . . .

First, however difficult you think it will be, multiply it tenfold. There are an incredible number of little issues that inevitably arise that you just simply can't plan for. The UK is an extremely archaic country in some ways, and as an American, you just scratch your head and wonder why things are done in such a way. However, the US has things like this too, but you're just used to the silly way we do things and don't question it.

The visa thing is not trivial. If you can go on an inter-company transfer, it's the "easiest." Otherwise, the company that's hiring you will have to do a market study and prove to the UK government why you need to be hired instead of a local. Either way, you'll need to show the UK government some considerable funding in your bank account and provide them with records for the previous 3 months. There is a specific balance that your account cannot fall below, and if it does, you'll have to start the 3-month clock all over again. If going on an ICT, there is a way for your company to cover the funding (called "maintenance"), but get this figured out early on. I'm just scratching the surface here; I could go on about visas and issues around them for days. I had to handle this for my family of four, including a new addition my wife and I had last year. In short, don't trust that your company has any idea how to handle the visa process, because most don't. You'll need to follow along with the process step-by-step to ensure your HR department isn't messing up, because they inevitably will.

Get used to living much more simply, in a MUCH smaller accommodation (especially in London), and never using a car. Living in a big European city is completely different from living in the US. However, I think this is what's great about it- it's different. You have to be ready to alter your way of life and also live with fewer creature comforts. For instance, the heating in my 200-year old house sucks seriously. Coupled with my single pane windows from medieval times that the wind pretty much blows right through, winters are very uncomfortable . . . especially after I got hit with a 900 GBP utility bill for 10 weeks of use . . . which brings me to my next point.

Things are stupid expensive in the UK, especially London. Many things are the same numerical value, but you automatically lose 40% just on the exchange rate. Getting jewelry insurance nearly made me commit suicide. In the US, we just put my wife's engagement ring and my watches under our homeowners insurance with a single phone call- easy peasy. Over here, I had to get her ring insured separately simply because of it's value and it alone costs me 450 GBP a year. Car insurance is also ridiculous. Generously calculate what you think you'll be able to live on and then multiply it by at least 1.5x. To add insult to injury, salaries are significantly lower in the UK, compared to the US. Expect to earn less money and also give more to the government . . . which brings me to my next point.

Prepare to pay taxes in two countries. In the UK, you pay based on residency. In the US, you pay based on citizenship. If you get an ICT, make damn sure you have a tax equalization clause in your contract as well as a clause stating that the company will hire someone to do your taxes. Taxes get seriously complicated when you're an expat, so don't underestimate this headache. My situation is a little more complicated than yours, as my wife and I still own our house in Seattle, as well as a vacation condo in Canada, and we have three kids . . . but prepare yourself for the worst when it comes to taxes. Also, the UK doesn't have deductions, so you'll likely give up 35-40% of your income to the Queen, depending on how much you make.

A small trick around this is to set up an offshore account and get your salary paid into it. Also set up an onshore UK account. Transferring money in the UK is really easy and an be done online (something I wish the US would embrace), so just transfer what you need into your onshore UK account. You will only get taxed for what you bring onshore to the UK, which helps a little with the tax burden. However, you'll need about $20,000 to open an offshore account, so start saving.

Look at rightmove.co.uk for houses in London. This will give you an idea as to what the cost of living is. I have a friend that just moved to London into a one bedroom apartment, which is pretty small, and pays 1800 GBP ($2800) per month. I paid this for a 3 bed/2 bath house in Cambridge . . . and Cambridge is one of the most expensive places in the UK! What I'm getting at is that you need to be prepared to pay Manhattan prices if you're going to live in London.

Regarding shipping stuff, since I had a family, it was more cost effective to put our stuff on a boat and send it. We actually even shipped our car! What's funny is that it's a Land Rover LR2 (Freelander 2 over here), but it's obviously left-hand drive. You should see some of the looks I get. It was even better when I had US plates on it. It took 7 weeks to get our car and nearly three months to get our other stuff in the containers. Each container was 4 x 7.25 x 7.25 feet and cost us about $2,000 to ship. I also recommend you max out your checked luggage on the airline and stuff military duffel bags full of clothes and such. My family's checked baggage bill was $750, but much cheaper than if we'd shipped it all. In the end, you'll have to decide if you want to buy all new stuff or ship your own. I also bought heavy duty power transformers when we got to the UK and we run our kitchen equipment off them (e.g. espresso machine, Kitchenaid mixer, coffee grinder, etc.).

I could go on, but I'll stop here. After your trip to the UK, if this is something you're seriously still considering, it would probably be best if we just chat over the phone. Even though I may seem down on the whole thing, I will say that moving outside the US has been one of the most rewarding experiences of my life. Adapting to the British culture and way of life has been much more difficult than I anticipated, but my family and I are better people for having done it. I definitely don't want to live out the rest of my days on this island, but I do want to stay another 4 years to get my baby daughter dual citizenship. If you get the opportunity to move to the UK, I think you should absolutely do it. Sorry for the long post, but I hope it's helpful to you.

Navitimer 01- Limited Edition #1337/2000

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:47 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Wildblue wrote:
I say good for you! I have spent well over half of my adult life living and working literally all over the globe. I think we Americans sometimes believe we are "cultured" and know all about other countries and cultures if we spend a week somewhere else on vacation. Often people will then come home and proclaim how superior and "progressive" those other places are, because they're so enamored with that week of experience, and that we need to be just like them. It takes a level of dedicated to live 24/7 somewhere else, and see the true economic, political, cultural, racial, historical, and other issues there when you get past the first appearances. I'm definitely a better person for having lived in other cultures, learning about the plusses and minuses of my own, and incorporating things from others into my own life.

Others here have already touched on a lot of the practical things. Yes, the voltage is an issue, but not insurmountable. Anything can be made to work if you want it enough. If you live there, you'll end up buying some new appliances, but go ahead and bring anything you like, and it can work. I even brought back electronics from Europe that I'm using here in the states now.

Are you sure you want to learn the new language, though? ;)

... and you DEFINITELY need to leave your white-face SA here in the states with me for safe-keeping.

Its funny you say this. My wife and I were on our honeymoon in July and we visited Italy (Rome, Naples, Venice), Malta (Valetta), Greece, (Athens, Mykonos, Santorini, and Turkey (Kusadasi). Even though this trip we didn't head to London we still wanted to move to Europe (UK in particular). As I told everyone when they asked how the trip was, my exact words were they get it over there. It is such a better way of life IMHO. I cant exactly put my finger on it but Europe is just a magical place, everything slows down there. Trying to soak in as much as you can in the short amount of time we were there. We didn't get to see half the stuff you wanted to or could of. We went on a cruise so the timing was pretty regimented. But we know from the moment we stepped foot on land over there it was a good move to try and end up over there. Plus being in the UK traveling around Europe I hope will be much more cost effective than leaving from the US. That way we can see all we want when we want, hopefully. There is something about it over there that we just feel in love with and could see ourselves living there for good. But only time will tell. And there a lot of things to do, take in account, and things that will pop up. It is all about the experience. I feel the same way in moving over there and experiencing such a different life that it would be great for us. Especially at this time in our lives. Thank you for you input, I really do appreciate it.

Not to sure I am willing to part with the White SA as of now. But you will be first on my list. :D :D :D

Past:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:53 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

bozman52 wrote:
superavenger13, I moved from the US to the UK in September 2011 (from Seattle to Cambridge), so I can provide a great deal of first hand insight into doing such a thing. There is SO much I can tell you about that I'm actually not even sure where to begin . . .

First, however difficult you think it will be, multiply it tenfold. There are an incredible number of little issues that inevitably arise that you just simply can't plan for. The UK is an extremely archaic country in some ways, and as an American, you just scratch your head and wonder why things are done in such a way. However, the US has things like this too, but you're just used to the silly way we do things and don't question it.

The visa thing is not trivial. If you can go on an inter-company transfer, it's the "easiest." Otherwise, the company that's hiring you will have to do a market study and prove to the UK government why you need to be hired instead of a local. Either way, you'll need to show the UK government some considerable funding in your bank account and provide them with records for the previous 3 months. There is a specific balance that your account cannot fall below, and if it does, you'll have to start the 3-month clock all over again. If going on an ICT, there is a way for your company to cover the funding (called "maintenance"), but get this figured out early on. I'm just scratching the surface here; I could go on about visas and issues around them for days. I had to handle this for my family of four, including a new addition my wife and I had last year. In short, don't trust that your company has any idea how to handle the visa process, because most don't. You'll need to follow along with the process step-by-step to ensure your HR department isn't messing up, because they inevitably will.

Get used to living much more simply, in a MUCH smaller accommodation (especially in London), and never using a car. Living in a big European city is completely different from living in the US. However, I think this is what's great about it- it's different. You have to be ready to alter your way of life and also live with fewer creature comforts. For instance, the heating in my 200-year old house sucks seriously. Coupled with my single pane windows from medieval times that the wind pretty much blows right through, winters are very uncomfortable . . . especially after I got hit with a 900 GBP utility bill for 10 weeks of use . . . which brings me to my next point.

Things are stupid expensive in the UK, especially London. Many things are the same numerical value, but you automatically lose 40% just on the exchange rate. Getting jewelry insurance nearly made me commit suicide. In the US, we just put my wife's engagement ring and my watches under our homeowners insurance with a single phone call- easy peasy. Over here, I had to get her ring insured separately simply because of it's value and it alone costs me 450 GBP a year. Car insurance is also ridiculous. Generously calculate what you think you'll be able to live on and then multiply it by at least 1.5x. To add insult to injury, salaries are significantly lower in the UK, compared to the US. Expect to earn less money and also give more to the government . . . which brings me to my next point.

Prepare to pay taxes in two countries. In the UK, you pay based on residency. In the US, you pay based on citizenship. If you get an ICT, make damn sure you have a tax equalization clause in your contract as well as a clause stating that the company will hire someone to do your taxes. Taxes get seriously complicated when you're an expat, so don't underestimate this headache. My situation is a little more complicated than yours, as my wife and I still own our house in Seattle, as well as a vacation condo in Canada, and we have three kids . . . but prepare yourself for the worst when it comes to taxes. Also, the UK doesn't have deductions, so you'll likely give up 35-40% of your income to the Queen, depending on how much you make.

A small trick around this is to set up an offshore account and get your salary paid into it. Also set up an onshore UK account. Transferring money in the UK is really easy and an be done online (something I wish the US would embrace), so just transfer what you need into your onshore UK account. You will only get taxed for what you bring onshore to the UK, which helps a little with the tax burden. However, you'll need about $20,000 to open an offshore account, so start saving.

Look at rightmove.co.uk for houses in London. This will give you an idea as to what the cost of living is. I have a friend that just moved to London into a one bedroom apartment, which is pretty small, and pays 1800 GBP ($2800) per month. I paid this for a 3 bed/2 bath house in Cambridge . . . and Cambridge is one of the most expensive places in the UK! What I'm getting at is that you need to be prepared to pay Manhattan prices if you're going to live in London.

Regarding shipping stuff, since I had a family, it was more cost effective to put our stuff on a boat and send it. We actually even shipped our car! What's funny is that it's a Land Rover LR2 (Freelander 2 over here), but it's obviously left-hand drive. You should see some of the looks I get. It was even better when I had US plates on it. It took 7 weeks to get our car and nearly three months to get our other stuff in the containers. Each container was 4 x 7.25 x 7.25 feet and cost us about $2,000 to ship. I also recommend you max out your checked luggage on the airline and stuff military duffel bags full of clothes and such. My family's checked baggage bill was $750, but much cheaper than if we'd shipped it all. In the end, you'll have to decide if you want to buy all new stuff or ship your own. I also bought heavy duty power transformers when we got to the UK and we run our kitchen equipment off them (e.g. espresso machine, Kitchenaid mixer, coffee grinder, etc.).

I could go on, but I'll stop here. After your trip to the UK, if this is something you're seriously still considering, it would probably be best if we just chat over the phone. Even though I may seem down on the whole thing, I will say that moving outside the US has been one of the most rewarding experiences of my life. Adapting to the British culture and way of life has been much more difficult than I anticipated, but my family and I are better people for having done it. I definitely don't want to live out the rest of my days on this island, but I do want to stay another 4 years to get my baby daughter dual citizenship. If you get the opportunity to move to the UK, I think you should absolutely do it. Sorry for the long post, but I hope it's helpful to you.

bozman52, I really appreciate the long post. And I can imagine how this info is just touching the surface in regards to everything that must be done to even attempt this. I don't think I would bring my car however it is something to think about. I def think loading up as many bags as possible on the flight over is def the play. While shipping only what you need too. Good thought on watching HR dept in regards to doing all that is necessary. I cant imagine them trying to do all of this by themselves without me watching. All they had to do when I got married was add my wife to my health plan and they messed that up. I appreciate the offer of talking on the phone, that is very kind of you.

We are planning a trip there next July to make sure we will even like it :D. So maybe I will pick your brain before than to see what we should see and do while there, to try and get a feel of how the "locals" live. We are only going for 10 days. With a planned golf trip to Dublin for me and a day in Paris for her. So we will probably have about 6 days in London. I know that prob isnt enough to see or get a true sense for what we would be in for if we moved there. But in my mind that's the whole point of moving there. Diving right in to a old and historical culture. And experiencing as much of the country and more.

I will PM you my contact info. Much appreciated again. We will be in touch.

Past:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:54 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

A big thank you to everyone who has posted in this topic. Any insight is truly and really appreciated.

Past:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 4:06 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 2 posts
Good for you! Sounds like you have some good perspectives. You absolutely, positively, need to spend whatever time you can in England first, though, and particularly in London if you're thinking of moving there. I agree that Europe is a "magical" place to us Americans, but as I said, visiting for 1-2 weeks is one thing, falling in love with the quaint-ness and beauty of the various countries there. Living there 24/7 and dealing non-stop with the real life issues is another. I'm not saying it's bad, it's just reality. It's not all fairytales and legendary stories! (and that goes for anywhere in the world, for that matter)

Personally, I would gladly go back and live (almost) anywhere in the world for a temporary time, to immerse myself in that culture. I can definitely understand how some people would do it permanently, too. For me personally, though, I've learned that in the end, I have to come back long-term and live in my home country permanently. If you try it out, after anywhere from 6-30 months, I think you'll discover for yourself what your own preferences are, too, when you really peel back all the surface appearances and deal with the harsh realities of everyday life in various cultures.

But in any case, if you do go, I highly, highly encourage you to take advantage of every single opportunity to get out and see things. There is so much to see and experience. When I lived in Europe, weekends and holidays would roll around, and sometimes I'd be tired, and think that I'd rather relax and didn't feel like doing something. But I would force myself and my wife (I do agree that it's best to do this before you have kids) to cross things off the master list that I kept of things to go see and do, and inevitably, I'd be glad that I pushed ourselves to do it. Go see Paris, Berlin, Amsterdam, Stockholm, Olso, Dublin, Belfast, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Frankfurt, Prague, Rome, Budapest, Barcelona, Madrid, Lisbon, Hamburg, Venice, Monte Carlo, Geneva, Vienna, Munich, Stuttgart, Normandy, etc, etc. So much to see and do in any one of those cities, much less the rest of the country. You could live there for 6 years, and only hit the big places of mainland Europe, much less the outlying areas.

FWIW, Prague is my favorite city in the world outside my own. Ireland is my favorite country outside my own. I could give you a list of recommendations in any one of the places in Europe. If/when you go to midwest Germany, let me know, and I'll hook you up with my friend that owns a winery and you'll have an awesome time.

Club Member #0070
2009 TT Chrono Evo w/Rose gold, blue face
2009 Airwolf w/black face, Co-Pilot module
2009 TT Lady Cockpit w/Mother-of-Pearl, Diamond face for the wife

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:30 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Wildblue wrote:
Good for you! Sounds like you have some good perspectives. You absolutely, positively, need to spend whatever time you can in England first, though, and particularly in London if you're thinking of moving there. I agree that Europe is a "magical" place to us Americans, but as I said, visiting for 1-2 weeks is one thing, falling in love with the quaint-ness and beauty of the various countries there. Living there 24/7 and dealing non-stop with the real life issues is another. I'm not saying it's bad, it's just reality. It's not all fairytales and legendary stories! (and that goes for anywhere in the world, for that matter)

Personally, I would gladly go back and live (almost) anywhere in the world for a temporary time, to immerse myself in that culture. I can definitely understand how some people would do it permanently, too. For me personally, though, I've learned that in the end, I have to come back long-term and live in my home country permanently. If you try it out, after anywhere from 6-30 months, I think you'll discover for yourself what your own preferences are, too, when you really peel back all the surface appearances and deal with the harsh realities of everyday life in various cultures.

But in any case, if you do go, I highly, highly encourage you to take advantage of every single opportunity to get out and see things. There is so much to see and experience. When I lived in Europe, weekends and holidays would roll around, and sometimes I'd be tired, and think that I'd rather relax and didn't feel like doing something. But I would force myself and my wife (I do agree that it's best to do this before you have kids) to cross things off the master list that I kept of things to go see and do, and inevitably, I'd be glad that I pushed ourselves to do it. Go see Paris, Berlin, Amsterdam, Stockholm, Olso, Dublin, Belfast, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Frankfurt, Prague, Rome, Budapest, Barcelona, Madrid, Lisbon, Hamburg, Venice, Monte Carlo, Geneva, Vienna, Munich, Stuttgart, Normandy, etc, etc. So much to see and do in any one of those cities, much less the rest of the country. You could live there for 6 years, and only hit the big places of mainland Europe, much less the outlying areas.

FWIW, Prague is my favorite city in the world outside my own. Ireland is my favorite country outside my own. I could give you a list of recommendations in any one of the places in Europe. If/when you go to midwest Germany, let me know, and I'll hook you up with my friend that owns a winery and you'll have an awesome time.

Wildblue

A few of those places we just went to on our honeymoon. However only 3 on your list. :). The wife and I are planning a trip to London in July to check it out. During that time I will be playing a round of golf in Dublin and staying there a few days. As well as a few days in Paris. Your list seems to be our list really. You have good taste. Haha

If we do ever make it to Germany I would def love to check out your friends winery. That sounds fantastic. Thank you for the opportunity to do that.

Past: