The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Thu May 23, 2024 7:38 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:53 pm 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

Liked in: 0 post
Strangely enough, on the knife forums I visit, someone started a watch thread. There were a lot of people who wear pieces by Breitling, Omega and of course Rolex. I was surprised actually.

So I thought I would start a similar thread here, anyone carry a pocket knife daily?

Here are a couple of mine!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:10 pm 
Contributing Connoisseur
Contributing Connoisseur

Liked in: 105 posts
Nope, depending on knife type and size it could be a criminal offense to carry one in most places.
In UK for example if you carry one for protection or just to make yourself feel safer yet without intent to use, you are still committing a crime.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:09 pm 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

WTH?! In Canada it's a crime to carry it AS a weapon. But not for something like... to open boxes, cut fruit or a lose string on your shirt? Etc...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:39 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Just a Victorinox Swiss Champ, Leatherman Wave and Leatherman Micro.

Nothing apart from those.

--
Gyp
Avenger Seawolf Chrono

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:00 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

I carry this wherever I go. Stains on the handle are the results of my love for raw denim.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:01 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
wessa wrote:
Nope, depending on knife type and size it could be a criminal offense to carry one in most places.
In UK for example if you carry one for protection or just to make yourself feel safer yet without intent to use, you are still committing a crime.

:yeahthat Anything that can be described as "an offensive weapon" is against the law to carry in the UK.

Site Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:42 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 17 posts
While we're on the topic of weapons in the UK, I was shocked to hear the UK's policy on self defense. One can only use "equal or lesser" force to protect oneself or others. Thus, if someone breaks into my house, attacks me with a baseball bat, and I stab the guy with a sword, I'll go to jail. Alternatively, if a group of dudes jump me, but are only using fists to hit me, and I pull out a pipe/bat/knife to fight back, I'll go to jail.

It's completely absurd. My only other reference point is the US, which some will argue is too much on the other end of the spectrum, but irrespective of this, I do feel the UK provides too much protection to criminals. I couldn't even get the police to write a ticket for the guy who kept parking in my house's private parking stall. They said I had to work it out with the person on my own. In the US, this is called trespassing, and in Texas one can shoot someone dead for this offense. In the UK, it's just an irritant.

I'm certainly not trying to bash the UK, as each country has its own way of operating. I personally just don't agree with the "equal or lesser" piece of the law.

Navitimer 01- Limited Edition #1337/2000

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:58 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

It's extremely illegal to wear a pocket knife in public in Sweden so the answer is no.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:54 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 5 posts
In wild wild west you can carry whatever you want.
However, in everywhere else you can only carry your wallet and a mobile!

In Walmart(US) you can get a gun. But in ASDA (UK) cutlery can only be sold to over 18!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:30 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
I use a Buck folding hunter when I am working on my property but don't find too much need to carry it around the office :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:00 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
bozman52 wrote:
While we're on the topic of weapons in the UK, I was shocked to hear the UK's policy on self defense. One can only use "equal or lesser" force to protect oneself or others. Thus, if someone breaks into my house, attacks me with a baseball bat, and I stab the guy with a sword, I'll go to jail. Alternatively, if a group of dudes jump me, but are only using fists to hit me, and I pull out a pipe/bat/knife to fight back, I'll go to jail.

It's completely absurd. My only other reference point is the US, which some will argue is too much on the other end of the spectrum, but irrespective of this, I do feel the UK provides too much protection to criminals. I couldn't even get the police to write a ticket for the guy who kept parking in my house's private parking stall. They said I had to work it out with the person on my own. In the US, this is called trespassing, and in Texas one can shoot someone dead for this offense. In the UK, it's just an irritant.

I'm certainly not trying to bash the UK, as each country has its own way of operating. I personally just don't agree with the "equal or lesser" piece of the law.

A little off topic, but as a UK resident I completely and utterly agree with you.

I'm personally of the opinion that if someone attacks you, you should be able to use absolutely any force necessary to defend yourself. The same goes for if someone breaks into your house and you find them there. People need to take responsibility for their own choices and actions in this life, and by that I mean that certain people CHOOSE to attack/assault people : they CHOOSE to break into other people's homes - no-one forces them to do it, so they should be prepared to accept whatever may come their way as a result of that. IMO the law should absolutely make provision for decent people to do whatever is necessary to protect themselves from these people who CHOOSE a life of crime.

In this country the law protects the criminals over those affected BY crime. Just another example of this pathetic nanny-state where no-one in power is prepared to make tough decisions and stick by them.

Site Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:26 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 17 posts
Driver, I'm glad to know I'm not too far out in redneck left field with my viewpoint.

Getting back onto topic, no, I do not carry a pocket knife, nor did I when I lived in the US. However, I know plenty of people who do, my brother being one.

I do have a funny story about pocket knifes, though. When my wife and I travel, I always brought a knife with us. It was a CRKT knife with a 4" blade. My intent was not primarily self defense, it just seemed to come in handy. However, I did pack it on me in Morocco fully expecting I'd have to stab someone . . . but that's another story. Anyway, we're on our way back from Italy and had to transfer planes at Charles de Gaulle in Paris. I got singled out after the x-ray bag scan and French customs seemed very interested with my backpack. As the customs guy is manually rummaging through my backpack, he pulls out my knife. I literally said several swear words in succession (because I was pissed that I left in in there) and thought I'd be spending the next few hours in interrogation. I'm not sure how I made it on a plane out of Rome with the knife in my bag, but it was clearly not intentional. After standing around for the next 30 minutes waiting for the police to show up, they just ended up telling me that I wasn't allowed to have a knife on a plane and also said I couldn't carry such a thing on me in France. Thanks guys, I had no idea.

Navitimer 01- Limited Edition #1337/2000

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:49 am 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

Very nice bozman, I realized last week sitting in court I had my EDC (every day carry) in my pocket. Awesome!!

Maybe it's because I'm not the office type this knife comes in handy where for others it wouldn't.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:27 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 13 posts
I don't carry anything daily but I have a Spyderco folding knife and leatherman for everyday/outdoor uses.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:46 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Driver8 wrote:
bozman52 wrote:

A little off topic, but as a UK resident I completely and utterly agree with you.

I'm personally of the opinion that if someone attacks you, you should be able to use absolutely any force necessary to defend yourself. The same goes for if someone breaks into your house and you find them there. People need to take responsibility for their own choices and actions in this life, and by that I mean that certain people CHOOSE to attack/assault people : they CHOOSE to break into other people's homes - no-one forces them to do it, so they should be prepared to accept whatever may come their way as a result of that. IMO the law should absolutely make provision for decent people to do whatever is necessary to protect themselves from these people who CHOOSE a life of crime.

In this country the law protects the criminals over those affected BY crime. Just another example of this pathetic nanny-state where no-one in power is prepared to make tough decisions and stick by them.

I'd hate to have to defend someone who shot someone else, for parking in his space, even in Texas.

As to the amount of force allowed for defense in the U.S., deadly force is not always allowed everywhere. Also, I believe that there are still some U.S. jurisdictions that impose a "duty to retreat" before the use of deadly force is allowed, even in one's home -- I've always had a tough time with the idea of a legal duty to protect a home invader, at an increased level of risk to oneself. When I look at these laws, I try to see how they work for an old, weak person, trying to protect himself from a physically fit young attacker. Often they don't make any sense in that context, even though that's often the scenario.