Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:43 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Ebay query
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:00 pm 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

Liked in: 11 posts
Hi guys, I need to purchase an item on ebay, however the seller wants me to pay by paypal using a paypal invoice to save on costs since there are presumably some ebay fees which are separate to paypal fees(any idea how much the fees are and does paypal charge separate fees to ebay fees?), what are the risks of using that aproach v/s direcly going through ebay? The seller said he would mention the ebay item number and item in the paypal invoice.

Also there is a limit on the invoice amount that a seller can generate in a single invoice in Paypal for example of 5500 pounds in the UK
https://www.paypal-community.com/t5/Sen ... uage=en-gb

PS: A word of caution to paypal users, was just looking at Paypals policy, if a seller generates 2 invoices for a single item payment, say one for a deposit and another for the payment remainder, PAypal then doesn't cover the buyer, amazed they left such a serious loophole that could catchout unsuspecting buyers!

Post subject: Re: Ebay query
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:58 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 3 posts
hi
remember rule number 1 if it does not sound right .. it may not be right .......

trust youre gut ...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:19 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 534 posts
Location: Santa Marta colombia on our way to french polynesia
This is what I would do ,
Make sure you use your credit card to pay through paypal , if anything goes haywire and paypal doesn't support your claim you can get your money back through the CC company doing a 'charge back' . Any payment from your bank account through paypal does not support this ! , banks have no 'charge back' process !!
just make sure that on both the paypal invoices its clearly stated why the invoice in split in 2 , the same ebay item number etc

costs are (i believe) 5% for a commercial paypal account , and paypal forces you to make a commercial account if you sell / receive money over a certain amount per Qtr or Year

edit:
when in doubt call your CC company

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:54 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 20 posts
Whenever I sell something on eBay, I send the buyer and invoice (through the link on ebay) and I ask to be paid through the links in the invoice email. As far as I know, the fees are the same but by paying through the invoice, Paypal knows that the payment is for the eBay purchase. I'm not offering you a suggestion, that is just my history as a seller which has worked successfully on over 200 transactions.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:07 pm 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

Liked in: 5 posts
Commercial PayPal fees are lower than your typical individual's fees.

Typically an individual pays 3.4% (+20p per transaction).

A merchant who trades between £1500-£6000 per month pays around 2.9%, then it drops again by another 0.5% if sales go over £6000.

The more sales he generates, the lower the rate falls.

E-Bay fees are totally separate. A Registered Business pays 12% with no upper limit - an individual pays 9.9%, capped at £40, then a smaller percentage on anything above the £400. That makes quite a difference on high value items.

It's standard practice to circumvent e-bay fees with a PayPal Invoice - if the original auction ends (for whatever reason) without a sale, it is entirely within the seller's remit to deal outside of e-bay, and so avoid fees. If the seller is stating on the invoice that the PayPal payment is in respect of an unsold e-bay item, you should be fine, protection-wise.

The old maxim always applies - buy the seller. Look at his profile, see what comments previous buyers have left, and judge for yourself. You can always annotate the PayPal invoice he sends you with your own description of the goods you are paying for, for added protection.

Mike 8)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:19 am 
Cult of Breitling Leader
Cult of Breitling Leader

Liked in: 4 posts
Ha ha, everyone has his own advice on this one. But have you seen this coming?

See: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=37224

- This is Ghost Rider requesting a fly-by. - Negative Ghost Rider. The pattern is full.