Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Fri May 24, 2024 12:33 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: PayPal risk?
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:01 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 0 post
hi guys. A couple days ago, I listed my B4B GMT on TZ for sale and today a guy from New York emailed me and wanted me to sell the watch to him via PayPal.

I insisted on Western Union but I can understand his stance since it was my first attempt to sell a watch on TZ.

Is there any chance that I might not get the money after all if the buyer plays foul after receiving the watch?

sorry I mean no offense to anyone. Just security check.

Thanx in advance for your help.

Post subject: Re: PayPal risk?
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:26 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
Quite a few threads on this already, and as a seller PayPal offers very little protection.

However, if I were a buyer then you wouldn't get my business if you insisted on Western Union over PayPal. There are situations where PayPal is just not an option - not every country allows it for example, but sellers who can accept PayPal and won't but instead look for Western Union cause a lot of suspicion as it is one ndication of a possible fraud.

Like you, no offence meant, but the fraudsters have damaged the payment method for all.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:01 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Roffensian wrote:
Quite a few threads on this already, and as a seller PayPal offers very little protection.

However, if I were a buyer then you wouldn't get my business if you insisted on Western Union over PayPal. There are situations where PayPal is just not an option - not every country allows it for example, but sellers who can accept PayPal and won't but instead look for Western Union cause a lot of suspicion as it is one ndication of a possible fraud.

Like you, no offence meant, but the fraudsters have damaged the payment method for all.

Well, Roff, you are indicating I'm a fraudster? Though I seldom post here and I do have a few watches as you can see from my posts on TZ.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:28 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
fromchinawithlove wrote:
Roffensian wrote:

Well, Roff, you are indicating I'm a fraudster? Though I seldom post here and I do have a few watches as you can see from my posts on TZ.

No I am not, in fact I carefully worded my post so that it would be difficult to assume that I was!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:44 am 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

Liked in: 1 post
My input , I wouldnt buy anything with Western Union over paypal I would rather not buy whatever it was,as I have been told after the money is received through WU there is no way to trace it after that and Roff,s wording seemed ok to me no fraud insinuated

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:59 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Alinfrance wrote:
My input , I wouldnt buy anything with Western Union over paypal I would rather not buy whatever it was,as I have been told after the money is received through WU there is no way to trace it after that and Roff,s wording seemed ok to me no fraud insinuated

:yeahthat

Western Union raises red flags in my book. Roff's statement was spot on.

~ RotaryRx7

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:56 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Link to sales thread removed by Roff. If you wish to advertise an item for sale then please post in the sales section in accordance with the rules.

I've decided not to proceed with this NY guy. Because , like Roff said, Paypal is not that safe.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:00 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

fromchinawithlove wrote:
Link to sales thread removed by Roff. If you wish to advertise an item for sale then please post in the sales section in accordance with the rules.

I've decided not to proceed with this NY guy. Because , like Roff said, Paypal is not that safe.

It's not that safe for you and plenty safe for your buyer :!: :!: Unless, you could provide me with some referances I could call and or e-mail I would only use PP. Otherwise, the risk to me is way to large, if I use Western Union, wire transer, etc and teh watch is fake, broken, not as described I'm SOL :( :(

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:57 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

RotaryRx7 wrote:
Alinfrance wrote:

:yeahthat

Western Union raises red flags in my book. Roff's statement was spot on.

:guns: Western Union!!