The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 10:32 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 503 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30 ... 34  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Ashes
PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:52 am 
All Roads lead to Breitling
All Roads lead to Breitling

Liked in: 1 post
Congrats to Australia. Total thrashing! Hope we can make a game of it in the rest of the series.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:21 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 71 posts
Novacastrian wrote:
At a stretch the comment about "scared eyes" might be about ability. It's certainly not casting aspersions about anyone's character.

Eh?! Of course it is. Standard playground name-calling - scaredy-cat. If you call someone 'scared' you're not saying "I question your technical ability", you're saying "I question your intestinal fortitude". And there's the rub: if you do that from your fielding position no one gives a stuff. Cricketers have questioned each other's guts a million times on the pitch. It's the fact that it was done it in a press conference which has plainly rattled the England camp - it seems to be where it was said as much as what was said that is the issue.The Warne-polished Aussie mantra is what goes on the pitch stays on the pitch. It's a good principle and this breaches it.

I suspect another reason for England's irritation in this instance is that they could have bad-mouthed Warner after the Root-punching incident, but didn't. There was an absolute omerta about that - let Cricket Aus deal with it etc.

Anyway, enough from me on this as it shouldn't get in the way of the cricket itself. I'm not a sore loser: the Ashes series I grew up on made me necessarily a very good one... I'm delighted as I've said for the series. With the WACA ahead of us, if England aren't scared, I certainly am.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:32 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 18 posts
To be honest we're equally as scared in the Australian camp... if England gets their batting together it'll be very close.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:27 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 13 posts
I feel for Trott. Takes a strong person to admit that. I wish him the very best for a speedy recovery.

Warner is an idiot; I don't think anyone denies that. His incident last year was extremely embarrassing, and England have been nothing but professional in the way they've handled it. I think it's unfortunate that only Michael Clarke got fined for recent events given that it appears as though Anderson contributed - both players should have been fined. I also agree that the player's themselves haven't done a lot to stir the debate; rather it's the press.

Anyway an exciting first test. No doubt England will rebound strongly. Let's leave it on the field and play hard but professionally.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:45 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
Tim S wrote:
Anyway an exciting first test.

:yeahthat

Tim S wrote:
Let's leave it on the field and play hard but professionally.

:yeahthat x2

Tim S wrote:
No doubt England will rebound strongly.

Errrrrr....... :wink: :lol:

No, I'm sure England will put up a little more resistance in the next test.

I'll be interested to see what Botham has to say - last I heard he was predicting a 5-0 whitewash! (And yes he was talking about England! :lol: )

Site Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:11 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 809 posts
Mitchell Johnson swinging the ball at 153 km/hr. Batting hell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:43 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
Yep, Johnson could be up for some impressive numbers this innings - 1 for 9 off 7 is a pretty good start! England playing for the draw by the end of day 2.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:23 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Indeed. Listened to the commentators for two days saying that England will at least be relieved that Johnson won't be so sharp on that track. Then he bowls at 95mph. Cripes.

Day 1, 250-odd for 5 should have been 6 or 7 but simple catches were dropped and instead of Clarke or Haddin batting with the tail on day 2 with bowlers looking to wind things up, they can both go for it (and very impressively too). How a session changes things.

I think tomorrow decides the Ashes really. I suspect England will struggle to make the follow-on, in which case it's 2-0 Aus heading to Perth where England have only ever won, what, once? All over before xmas. If they surprise us by getting a draw from here it's only 1-0 and they'll draw strength from getting out of jail.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:21 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

What happened to the team that went to England and where did this lot come from :shock:

Another dominant batting display by Australia. The one major area they had been struggling with for so long. Clarke and Haddin awesome again, and several very good starts from others. Still a long way to with the bulk of the very good England batting order to come. 50/50 win/draw right now although if Mitchell is bowling that fast and with swing - yikes. Even 1 up going to Perth would be a great place to be.
TomP wrote:
I think tomorrow decides the Ashes really. I suspect England will struggle to make the follow-on, in which case it's 2-0 Aus heading to Perth where England have only ever won, what, once? All over before xmas. If they surprise us by getting a draw from here it's only 1-0 and they'll draw strength from getting out of jail.

I tend to agree with this.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:29 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

England have gone something like 18 innings in a row without reaching 400..........., and they are 535 behind at the moment. Even a draw looks highly unlikely at the moment. I agree TomP and Tim - the whole series is likely to be decided in the next couple of days..... and at the moment it looks like Australia's party all the way. (And at the moment, it's thoroughly deserved).

Site Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:41 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Mitchell must be killing it. 6 wickets; England 9/140. Wish I was watching. Incredible.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:48 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 809 posts
Amazing. Johnson is so on top of the English team at the minute. They all look genuinely nervous facing him. Can't say i blame them. At his speed and with that slinging action you get a very late look at the ball that's coming right at your head.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 4:48 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
And congratulations to Australia for winning the Ashes series......

530 ahead with 7 second innings wickets left and 2 days to play - total humiliation of England and an amazing turnaround from the summer.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 4:51 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Agh, it's all over. I said yesterday would decide the Ashes and it surely has. Congrats to Aus. After recent series history they won't mind stuffing England but I'm disappointed it's not more of a contest: I thought that a slightly superior Eng unit playing against an improving Aus with home advantage would be thrillingly even. But Eng are just overwhelmed.

The Root and KP shots which got them out and started the riot were horrible. Root in particular had done everything right, got in line, played Johnson calmly, then heaves at Lyon's first ball. Sometimes it's as if modern players can't re-boot from the ODI mentality.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 5:05 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

TomP wrote:
Agh, it's all over. I said yesterday would decide the Ashes and it surely has. Congrats to Aus. After recent series history they won't mind stuffing England but I'm disappointed it's not more of a contest: I thought that a slightly superior Eng unit playing against an improving Aus with home advantage would be thrillingly even. But Eng are just overwhelmed.

The Root and KP shots which got them out and started the riot were horrible. Root in particular had done everything right, got in line, played Johnson calmly, then heaves at Lyon's first ball. Sometimes it's as if modern players can't re-boot from the ODI mentality.

:yeahthat on all counts, especially the bit about assuming that "a slightly superior Eng unit playing against an improving Aus with home advantage would be thrillingly even". England have been utterly and completely demolished. To be honest I've never EVER doubted Australia's ability to bounce back from set-backs over the years : their mental strength just seems to be so much greater than Englands. It always has. England always seem to teeter on the edge - moments of greatness followed by a long slide into the abyss. The Rugby World Cup that England won in 2003 was a case in point - a fairly poor build up, followed by a peak at just the right time, and then instead of dominating the game for years to come they all but collapsed.

This Ashes series performance by England is just very disappointing, but absolutely all credit to Australia on a fantastic performance and so comprehensively putting the series to bed.....with only one and a half tests played!

Site Moderator

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 503 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30 ... 34  Next