Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 8:10 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Why Breitling
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 6:42 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 0 post
I see that many of you guys are obsessed with Breitling, some of you even have collection of Breitling watches...

Now a question arises: Why Breitling?

Why is Breitling so special when there are so many other good and reputable brands out there. What Breitling has and other brands don't.

PS: After weeks of researches I decided I like the BlackBird more then anything else within my budget and I plan to own one in the next few months. It will be my first real watch(assuming Tissot doesn't count). I like the Blackbird for it's look and for the fact that is made by a reputable and old swiss watch company. These are my reasons/motivations and I'm very curious to hear yours.

Post subject: Re: Why Breitling
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 7:01 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Why Breitling?

:lol: For me it's craftsmanship, durability, aesthetics, reliability, accuracy, reputation, functionality, feature availability, company longevity and it satisfies my obsessive cumpulsive disorder. :lingsrock:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 7:20 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
This is a ridiculously difficult question to answer - it's like asking why I married my wife rather than anyone else - it's not something that can necessarily be quantified.

The quality and history of Breitling is a part of it, so is the look and value, but ultimately it's because of the way it makes me feel. It doesn't necessarily have to be a Breitling, but I have frequently found that the way that I feel when I strap a Breitling on my wrist is 'better' (however you quantify that) than when I strap another brand on at the same price point.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 7:38 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Why? I fell in love with Breitling about 10 years ago. Its quality without the bling. Class and craftmanship.

www.gunnarandreassen.com

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 7:53 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

There are a number of swiss (and non swiss) watch makers, out there, that make a comparable watch, as far as movement reliability and function. Before decoration (which no owner ever sees) the movements cannot really be distinguished from each other. At least from the lay person. Watch tells time, chrono times events, day indicator changes every night... blah blah blah.

The quality of the "build of the watch" is very similar between the comparable price range makers. ie, Rolex and Breitling, Panerai and Zenith, Patek and... well you get the idea. Each price range have several builders that are similar in quality.

So why Breitling, instead of say.... Rolex. For most its all about the looks and for some the size of the actual watch for others both. I have tried on several Rolex's but keep buying Breitling's instead. Why? The looks, size and value for the money. Compared to Rolex, I can get a Breitling for half the money, that is equal in quality and functionality. Now I eventually may buy a Rolex but only after a great discount (overpriced, IMO) and some larger sizes (like the Deep Sea) come out.

This place is a collection of people who love Breitling's. Most, like them more than the other manufacters. Go to a Rolex forum and you will find the opposite.

:lingsrock:

Bell & Ross BR03-92 Phantom
Steinhart BreitlingSource LE #5/15

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:14 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 1 post
When I got my first Breitling in the early 90s (Colt Quartz), I had seen it in the window at an AD in the local mall. It simply stood out from the others as being the most aesthetically pleasing. I didn't have a PC or internet in those days, so I didn't do much research, I simply took the word of the shopkeeper that Breitling was a quality name. From that day on, the only watches that really interested me were Breitlings. At many times since then, I could have afforded say, a Rolex, but I still went with Breitlings. I do like the build quality as well, and they have never let me down. Because of the internet, I also know a lot more about them now, and also about other brands.
Having said that, I am now looking at Panerai very seriously for my next major purchase, and possibly a less expensive pilot's or diver's watch in between, like Ocean7, Seiko or Citizen.
My soft spot is still for Breitling, though.
Cheers,
Carl

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:37 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

I have always like Breitlings because of their tie to aviation. (been in aviation now for 29 years). I like the look, size and feel of the watches. They are also a great value in my opinion. People that see my Breitling always comment that the next watch they buy will be a Breitling, and they usually are wearing a Rolex.

I have two Rolex's and they were both given to me, the first by my wife as a 1 year anniversey present (1987) the second my Mom gave me after my fathers death (1996). The seond goes to my oldest son when he reaches the age of 20. (Dads will) Rolex's are nice but as said on this thread previously they are a bit over priced in my opinion. I wear them on occasion and keep them serviced.

My Breitling Old Navitimer gets most of the wrist time though, I like the look of the watch and I am close to another purchase or two.

Old Navitimer
Chrono Avenger M1
Colt Automatic (Early)
Rolex Submariner
Rolex Explorer II

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:12 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

My dad has a Rolex Date Just, but i really don't like the size its to small. I think that rolex did do a really good job at watches thats design will never go old. But when it comes to there prices its just a little bit over priced. I think there best model out now is Rolex GMT Master 2 all steel. The size of that one is just great and the braislet is really lookin good on it.

Oh yeah don't forget that with a rolex on your whrist people always think that you showing off. You don't have that with a Breitling.
:lingsrock:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:43 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Breitling - for me - stand for quality watches as some other well knowned watch brands do as well. But the brand bears some adventuresomeness, ruggedness and functionality in its message like no other. I like the unique design of the rider-tab look and the sophisticatedly elaborated dials - a pleasant contrast to most other really boring looking high-end brands. Furthermore I like my Colt Auto because the Breitling caliber 17 is the best version of the time-tested ETA 2824. Breitling do look rugged and they are. Of course, they tune ubiquitous ETA movements, but they improve and adjust them fairly well and for me it's a clear advantage to have a widespread movement on my wrist - if you think in a long term you might benefit from this in terms of spare parts availability. In a nutsheel: Most Breitlings speak to me. Most if not all other brands in the same market segment don't!

V.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:46 am 
Contributing Misery Guts
Contributing Misery Guts

Liked in: 1 post
Why not?