Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:00 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Blacksteel v Breitlight
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2023 5:37 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 3 posts
Greetings. Been away* for a while - since 2009 in fact when I bought my first Breitling.

In my weird way I have quite suddenly decided that I need another one. Black, with a yellow dial.

I have narrowed it down to an Avenger Hurricane 12H or a Chronomat 44 Blacksteel SE.

So this

Or this:

(apologies for the oversized picture of the second one).

I'd be interested in feedback from owners of either or both.

This is where I have got to so far:

Avenger:
Pro - big (if you're wearing something eye catching, don't do half measures), clean looking, yellow, B01 movement.
Con - don't much care for the military style numbers; the yellow mini dials get s bit lost; Clarkson wore one in S2 of Clarkson's Farm (trivial, I know).

Chronomat:
Pro - great looking, in fact exceptionally good looking, yellow, black mini dials break up the yellow well, anchor on the chronometer second hand, B01 movement.
Con - rare as hen's teeth, Blacksteel *will* chip over time given my intended use.

My main issue with the Chronomat, besides not actually having one available on the market, is the chance that it will end up a bit tatty looking with chips in the coating. Otherwise it is virtually my perfect watch.

The Avenger is on the table to meet these too issues: I can get it, and Breitlight won't chip (at least in a way to expose a differently coloured surface underneath). However I am in two minds about spending that much on a watch that doesn't have a metal case. No matter how fancily Breitlight is dressed up I end up thinking, "hmm. So it's a kind of plastic, is it?". And then the Avenger, whilst a great looking watch in its own right, I think is slightly outscored by the Chronomat for looks - at least to my subjective eyes.

The subjective stuff I will have to grapple with. What I am after from owners is this:

- for the Avenger, has anyone bought one and then found that the ownership experience of the Breitlight case isn't optimal? Or, indeed, found the opposite?
- for the Chronomat (besides does anyone have a mint sample they are itching to sell), has anyone been disappointed with the long term durability of the coating?

TIA

* Away means away from this place, as opposed to, oh,I don't know, in prison. Just in case anyone thought that.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2023 1:30 pm 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

Liked in: 730 posts
I haven’t owned either of these but I have owned coated watches which I have to say have been remarkably durable. FWIW I prefer the aesthetics of the Chronomat and that would be my choice. However, if its intended use would likely damage the coating then the Breitlight would be the more logical choice. It may be ‘plastic’ but will be more resistant to damage and less likely to show any that does occur. If I was in your shoes I’d be going for the Chronomat and maybe buying a G-Shock for the extreme stuff. When I go rock climbing I leave my Leica at home and take my Panasonic to record my exploits….

Citizen Eco Drive AT4000-02E (for gardening)
Seiko 5 SNZG15J1
Hamilton X Wind LE

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2023 7:15 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 78 posts
It seems like you are more inclined towards the Chronomat and just worried about the coating on the black steel. I have heard of Breitlight breaking anyway. Not chip, break... I personally do not believe in spending tons of money on "safe queens" as I feel that you should use what they are designed and meant for. Think of it this way, if the coating really chips off, it gives the watch additional character and a testimonial of what you put the watch through. The left lug of my Chronomat and bracelet suffered chips when my car overturned in an accident during a trip in Finland. It continued to function well despite the aesthetics damage. This new aesthetics imperfection actually made my watch a "certified" true hard core instrument that has braced several tough events. This incident somehow made me realized that many Breitling watches are designed to look seasoned with wear.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2023 2:46 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 62 posts
Chronomat for the win. If you like black watches, take a look at what Damasko is offering. The metal they use is something else.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 12:22 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 37 posts
I've owned both Breitlight (Endurance Pro) and Blacksteel watches and I would say this : the former is super comfortable to wear but the casing does not feel like I'm wearing a premium watch. The latter when newish and without wear and tear looks really good in an understated way. The weight, together with operating the bezel and pushers does feel like you have a premium watch. However if you wear the hell out of it and scratch/chip it, that feeling will be tarnished (see what I did there?).

I wear my Blacksteel when I know it'll be a "light duty" day. It does have the odd scratch etc but thankfully not in the most obvious places. I still enjoy wearing it.
The Endurance Pro got sold after a few months as I had other more capable and cheaper watches that fulfilled that role.

The Avenger you mentioned has great presence (as does the Chronomat) but I just can't justify the material is worth the cost.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 5:38 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Thanks all - you've all solidified my resolve to hold out for the Chronomat. I think if I went with the Avenger, I'd still find myself idling browsing sites looking for the Chronomat.

Now, then, for the tricky bit. Finding one...

1952 likes this post.
PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 4:30 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

And presto, through some luck and persistence, I have the Chronomat. And I bloody love it!

Attachment:
0994611F-6C58-4B1F-B6A4-CB9A523F46B7.jpeg

And in the way of these things, I became a little impatient while I was looking and ended up being swayed by a current green dialled Chronomat 40 GMT in the meantime.

Attachment:
CD14F063-F199-4510-ACD9-E3DC3EBE9246.jpeg

So I seem to have gone from not being much of a watch guy to having a small collection of three in no time flat.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

2 people like this post.
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2023 6:01 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 4 posts
I have Both, If it was me I would probably go for the Blacksteel (Although not a Chronomat personally)

As long as you don't wear them in mildly industrial scenarios - which I think most people wouldn't then they will hold up just fine.