The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:26 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2023 2:20 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 19 posts
Ok - after lots of rumours and (Im guessing) false starts - in a recent interview on Scotish Watches George Kern just flat out said (and Im paraphrasing a little):

1. Its an open secret we are working on an in-house three hander movement and
2. It will be introduced in 2024.

This lines up pretty much exactly with things Fred has hinted at here.

So some questions:

Do we take this to the bank? Is this as good as official confirmation?

Assuming its real what would people want from an in-house Breitling three hander?

Here's my list:

a. Ideally fit into an SW300/2894 envelope, failing that an SW200/2824 package. I want it able to go in watches from 32mm and up. I want it thin.

b. Id like it to have the same and/or near as dammit external interfaces to ETA workhorses so that external modules can bolt straight on or fit with minimal re-engineering (ever notice how few mods there are for unique in-house mvmts like the tudors/omegas? while watches using sw/eta movements as a base get all the fun stuff like chimes, jumping hours, big dates, rotating globes etc)

c. Id like it to be really robust for shock, thermal, anti magnetism - love to see it meet metas certification (I think it fits the whole 'instruments for professionals' thing and being really robust makes it more carefree fitting the casual, easy to live with vibe also - could be marked used both taglines depending on the model/market)

d. accuracy - stick with current chronometer std - if people really need more that's what super quartz is for

e. power reserve - unfussed really - most overrated movement spec - say 70-100 hrs just to shut people up and keep the noise at bay.

You'll note I'm only giving functional specs - I don't care how its achieved, so carbon/silicon/free sprung/etc really don't care - if it performs and fits the Breitling use case that's all I worry about.

What about others? What do you want?

WatchFred likes this post.
PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2023 5:27 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
I think an in-house 3 hander is LONG overdue for Breitling, so this should be good news. That said, with the frankly insane price level of the Sellita-powered 40mm GMTs, I'm bracing for some truly stratospheric prices for anything with an in-house 3 hander inside.

In terms of specs, then it just has to better the equivalent ETA/Sellita offerings, be that PR, accuracy, anti-magnetic properties, etc.

Site Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2023 10:03 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 1727 posts
it is.
and more calibers to come in 2024

no, can’t tell which ;)

2 people like this post.