Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:05 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: THE NEW 2022 NAVITIMER
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2022 4:38 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
So I've just seen the new Navitimer for 2022 is up on the Breitling website, and I have to say it is without doubt, hands-down, the single best release from Breitling since the CVC takeover! (And I'm saying that as someone who owns a new Chronomat).

https://www.breitling.com/gb-en/watches/navitimer/

Great to see a full selection of sizes - 41mm, 43mm and 46mm - and although there are some unusual colours, I'm just incredibly pleased there's still a classic black reverse panda in the 43mm (and 46mm) size. :thumbsup: That said, I think the silver and ice blue dials are absolutely stunning. The combination of brushed and polished surfaces is a nice change over the full polish of previous generations, the AOPA-style wings look great and are a nice nod to the heritage, and obviously I LOVE the date at 6! :lol:

The only slightly negative observations I'd make are that I'm a little disappointed about the butterfly clasp on the bracelet. The lack of micro-adjustment is a real issue IMO, and is the main reason I don't wear my Chronomat on the bracelet. Personally I think butterfly clasps are antiquated and should be banned, or at least reserved only for out-and-out dress watches, but then again the Navi is a strap watch IMO so it won't be an issue at all for me! The other observation I'd make is that I think it's a shame not to have a reverse panda in the 41mm size (although again it's not a issue for me as I'll be getting the 43mm), and I also think the 22mm lug width on the 41mm looks a bit out of place: I think 20mm would've worked better personally.

The only other thing I'd mention is that it's a shame it's still only a 30m-rated (i.e. splashproof if you're lucky) watch as I heard Breitling were at least looking at improving that slightly. However, I know the WR issue is an inherent part of the way the Navi is constructed, so I can only assume it was a technical step too far without changing the fundamental look/DNA, which should never happen.

But like I say, those are very VERY minor observations and will in no way stop me from grabbing a 43mm reverse panda at the earliest opportunity! This is a superb release all round, and I don't think I could've asked for more. FANTASTIC WORK BREITLING!!!!!!

Can we have an in-house, 24 hour dial, Cosmonaut (with the date at 6) next please Breitling? PLEASE! :thumbsup:

Site Moderator

2 people like this post.
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2022 7:46 am 
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Liked in: 343 posts
I'm a big fan of these. The silver dial in 43mm is perfect in my opinion and looks great on the bracelet. I agree though, an adjustable clasp would have been so much nicer and as would a little more water resistance. I wouldn't take it swimming, but I'd still like more so I wouldn't worry about being stuck in the rain or something like that. I wouldn't have minded seeing the blackeye blue in 43mm as well and I'm still not sold on the mint green dial or even the salmon/copper dial. The all white/silver dial with gold hands and hour markers is another one of my favorites.

Overall, I really like them but still not sure if I ever need to pick one up. It would be an addition by subtraction and I'm not sure I could do that right now but maybe one day I'll pick one up.

Visit them on the web at http://www.govbergwatches.com or call 800-528-8463

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2022 8:36 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

jnelson3097 wrote:
The all white/silver dial with gold hands and hour markers is another one of my favorites.

Agreed. That's definitely the pick of the 41mm models IMO.

Site Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2022 2:50 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 370 posts
EEHHHH, not a big fan of the release, don't care for the date at six o'clock in a three sub-dial layout. With numerous Navitimers in the collection I don't see myself lining up to purchase one. Now, if you release the Datora in the ice blue, then I will be camping out at the Boutique waiting for it to arrive!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2022 12:49 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Actually, after looking at the details there’s something else I’m not a fan of. They’ve dumbed down the functionality by removing the tachymeter track from the bezel.

Yes I know no one actually uses it (or even knows how to! :lol: ) but the slide rule bezel is obviously an integral part of the Navitimer’s DNA. The busyness is all part of it. The more I look at it, the more “empty” the bezel looks.

I’m also not a fan of the missing B/anchor on the centre seconds hand either.

Hmmmm, maybe I was a little premature in my overt praise. I still like it a lot, but as they say, the devil is in the details.

Site Moderator

tjphysicist likes this post.
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2022 1:44 pm 
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Liked in: 343 posts
Driver8 wrote:
Actually, after looking at the details there’s something else I’m not a fan of. They’ve dumbed down the functionality by removing the tachymeter track from the bezel.

Yes I know no one actually uses it (or even knows how to! :lol: ) but the slide rule bezel is obviously an integral part of the Navitimer’s DNA. The busyness is all part of it. The more I look at it, the more “empty” the bezel looks.

I’m also not a fan of the missing B/anchor on the centre seconds hand either.

Hmmmm, maybe I was a little premature in my overt praise. I still like it a lot, but as they say, the devil is in the details.

It's funny you mention the missing tachymeter because I was watching some videos today of them and thought the dial was missing something. I get nobody probably actually uses them but now I can't unsee it missing from there.

I've always like the anchor hand as well so I'm sad to see that go.

Visit them on the web at http://www.govbergwatches.com or call 800-528-8463

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2022 4:40 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 52 posts
I think this release is the most interesting one Breitling has offered in many years. I don't typically like the re-editions because I see them as imitations of the originals, although I know many love them. This release appeals to me more than a re-edition -- something inspired by the body of work but distinct in their own way. I like the variety of offerings in sizes and colors. I certainly like the AOPA wings better than the B, but I'm not sure if I like it better than the Breitling wings. I am intrigued by the blue 46, but not quite ready to rush out and buy one.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 1:06 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 1727 posts
good to read that most of you seem to like the new models!

one of the three sizes should make a decent fit for every taste (and wrist size) - the Navitimer 43 wears very comfortably, 2.07mm of the published height are needed for the high "double domed" sapphire crystal, the metal case (ca. 11.6mm high at top of bezel) is about 11% slimmer than the previous model.

note that the "43" refers to the bezel diameter (which is 42.8mm to be precise), the case itself has a diameter of 41mm.

lugs are a bit shorter too, worth trying them on:
Navitimer 41: 47.1mm
Navitimer 43: 49.1mm
Navitimer 46: 51.9mm

Now to the WP-rating: Yes, as Driver8 says, we did look at several options to produce the Navitimer with a higher WP rating, but none of the prototypes offered a solution we could accept - you either lose the basic functionality of the Navitimer, a pilot's toolwatch with an E6B "Flight Computer" slide rule that allows you to calculate complex operations comfortably and quickly ("setting crowns" make that so slow and cumbersome that the slide rule turns into a decoration only), or you change the design of the Navitimer with a geared inner bezel like the EPSA Piquerez case of the "Pizza" Navitimers. This added 7mm in diameter in the past, we could reduce that to a bit more than 5mm today, but we'd still end up with something that's not a "classic" Navitimer, no matter how hard we try.

here's a schematic of that "geared concentric bezel/sliderule":

classic Navitimer schematic (2010 Navitimer 01)

and classic/pizza Navitimer (1969 models - but we'd end up with something very similar today)

best, Fred

5 people like this post.
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 11:55 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 62 posts
All the new Navitimers has inhouse movements, thats nice. And the new rotor on the B01 is looking great.
But I find all the different logos used by Breitling confusing.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 4:06 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 811 posts
WatchFred thank you for insight, as a former Sinn 903 owner and a current Navitimer owner, I agree that classic Navitimer look beats WR increase every time :lingsrock:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 6:40 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 19 posts
Got to say I'm a huge fan of the new Navitimer. Thanks Fred for your explanation of the slide rule/WR conundrum - that's really interesting. Still saving for a pistachio premier but a 2022 Navi in 2023 should be fine.

WatchFred likes this post.
PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2022 4:18 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Thanks for all the extra info Fred - most appreciated. :thumbsup: I’m really looking forward to seeing these in person - I may pop into town today to see if the AD has them yet. I’m actually getting more interested in the silver dial 41mm version as well.

I have to agree that while extra WR would’ve been nice, it shouldn’t come at the cost of the Navis iconic looks, and certainly not at the expense of an extra 5-7mm in thickness. Right choice made my Breitling there. :thumbsup:

Site Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2022 6:36 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 1727 posts
not "thickness", actually ;)
display caseback and pushers would easily pass a 10ATM/100m certification, the issue is "only" the rotating bezel/crystal w/ the slide rule, so it would need to be 5-7mm wider in diameter (or lose functionality), not thicker.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2022 1:56 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

WatchFred wrote:
display caseback and pushers would easily pass a 10ATM/100m certification, the issue is "only" the rotating bezel/crystal w/ the slide rule, so it would need to be 5-7mm wider in diameter (or lose functionality), not thicker.

Not sure how I miss-read that so badly Fred! :lol: You were clearly talking about the diameter and I somehow took it to be thickness of the case! Ignore me. :oops: :lol:

Site Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2022 3:19 pm 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Liked in: 0 post
WatchFred wrote:

Considering the way a separate crown actuates the inner bezel of the iwc aquatimer, I would have imagined you guys could have connected the entire navitimer's rotating bezel in a similar way so it works like the crown on the aquatimer to rotate the inner sliderule. I guess it's impossible?