King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 49 posts
WatchFred wrote:
here's a video for those that haven't seen it yet:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6HSYu4 ... e=emb_logo

and some pics:

watch cushion doubles as a travel pouch:

whoever prefers the "classic" box & leather pouch can opt to receive them free of charge (no, the Bakelite are gone for good, sorry - and I hated those, as the hinges were breaking, and don't remind me about the black faux leather pouches that disintegrated into sticky goo).

before the cynics arrive - the new packaging is more expensive to produce than the "classic", potential cost savings may balance that in the long run, as storage & transportation costs are dramatically lower, carbon emissions for transport are cut by 60%.

while we are at it: watches. for me the positioning the 36 as a "Ladies' Watch" at launch wasn't smart, it is a beautiful unisex dress watch, actually; Georges now agrees, so we'll see how this will play out in the end, think we may soon see him wearing the watch ;)

some nice pics by Peter Chong for Deployant: https://deployant.com/new-with-hands-on ... -and-32mm/
Ok Fred, I love these new pieces! My wife would be pretty happy to see these 32’s. Well done Breitling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:11 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 370 posts
rocinante wrote:
56scooter wrote:
Quote:
before the cynics arrive

Not sure why anyone who might not agree with with the new packaging concept or fail to fall in love with the new watches would be referred to as a cynic! Not everyone who enjoys the Breitling brand is madly in love with everything that Kerns and company have done. To use a little baseball analogy, in my opinion he has hit a few balls out of the park but on other occasions he has looked really bad against the curve! Hopefully my name won't be marked with a big "C" next to it in the lineup card!! :poke: :poke:

I don't think Fred was saying that at all.

The history of this discussion is that the new packaging (or lack thereof) is all a cynical cost cutting exercise by Breitling to reduce overheads and pump up short term profits to position the company for a dump and run sale by CVC and GK. Like a few people (and Im guessing Fred) Im finding this line of logic for every decision coming out of Breitling tiring and I suspect Fred was prepping for that response with the phrase "before the cynics arrive" when talking about the cost of the packaging.

Personally I'm ambivalent over the packaging. I've gutted a few boxes to use to store nicnacks but the majority are filling up a storage crate in the garage. Im happy with something just good enough to keep people broadly onside but using the absolutely least amount of effort to get there for packaging so this looks fine.

I noticed that you became a member here in April of this year, if you have the opportunity take a look at the various posts concerning the introduction of new products or concepts by Georges Kerns and his group. After reading those posts I am sure that you will see that anyone who does not agree with the Kerns philosophy is chastised. According to some people on this forum Kerns can do no wrong, I just don't happen to agree with that. Unfortunately, when comments are made in situations where Kerns has mis-stepped those comments are regularly dismissed. I do not agree with everything that Georges has done or what he has not done to improve the brand. It has been my experience that he does not accept criticism very well, that trait is clearly exhibited by some of his supporters here on this forum!

Nihon_Ni likes this post.
PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 7:26 am 
King of Ling
King of Ling

56scooter wrote:
rocinante wrote:
56scooter wrote:
[quote]before the cynics arrive

Not sure why anyone who might not agree with with the new packaging concept or fail to fall in love with the new watches would be referred to as a cynic! Not everyone who enjoys the Breitling brand is madly in love with everything that Kerns and company have done. To use a little baseball analogy, in my opinion he has hit a few balls out of the park but on other occasions he has looked really bad against the curve! Hopefully my name won't be marked with a big "C" next to it in the lineup card!! :poke: :poke:

I don't think Fred was saying that at all.

The history of this discussion is that the new packaging (or lack thereof) is all a cynical cost cutting exercise by Breitling to reduce overheads and pump up short term profits to position the company for a dump and run sale by CVC and GK. Like a few people (and Im guessing Fred) Im finding this line of logic for every decision coming out of Breitling tiring and I suspect Fred was prepping for that response with the phrase "before the cynics arrive" when talking about the cost of the packaging.

Personally I'm ambivalent over the packaging. I've gutted a few boxes to use to store nicnacks but the majority are filling up a storage crate in the garage. Im happy with something just good enough to keep people broadly onside but using the absolutely least amount of effort to get there for packaging so this looks fine.

I noticed that you became a member here in April of this year, if you have the opportunity take a look at the various posts concerning the introduction of new products or concepts by Georges Kerns and his group. After reading those posts I am sure that you will see that anyone who does not agree with the Kerns philosophy is chastised. According to some people on this forum Kerns can do no wrong, I just don't happen to agree with that. Unfortunately, when comments are made in situations where Kerns has mis-stepped those comments are regularly dismissed. I do not agree with everything that Georges has done or what he has not done to improve the brand. It has been my experience that he does not accept criticism very well, that trait is clearly exhibited by some of his supporters here on this forum![/quote]Well put scooter!

56scooter likes this post.
PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 5:37 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 52 posts
All three of the summits this year made me regret my watches a little more than the last. I guess Breitling and I have been on different paths for some time now, and I'm just slow to realize it. Pity.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 5:43 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Nihon_Ni wrote:
All three of the summits this year made me regret my watches a little more than the last. I guess Breitling and I have been on different paths for some time now, and I'm just slow to realize it. Pity.
Really, you don’t think these 36 and 32 case sized watches will do well? And really you don’t like the packaging?

My gut tells me on the release of the ROLEX Op with fun dial colours, Breitling will see some good sales with that mint green dial on the 36 and 32 watches.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:54 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 62 posts
Having spent the past few days wearing my 36mm Datejust, I find the 36 intriguing. The chrono was nice but such a heavy chunk that it wasn't for me. With the bracelet and again a trim 10mm thickness, I want to see one.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

AP Royal Oak 15400, silver
Zenith Chronomaster El Primero Classic Cars
Vintage gold Corum
Rolex DJ 36 TT, oyster dial, oyster/smooth
Baume & Mercier Riviera 200m, silver dial/aquamarine bezel
Breitling Superocean 57, rose/stainless

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 2:03 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 52 posts
boogiebot wrote:
Nihon_Ni wrote:
Really, you don’t think these 36 and 32 case sized watches will do well? And really you don’t like the packaging?

My gut tells me on the release of the ROLEX Op with fun dial colours, Breitling will see some good sales with that mint green dial on the 36 and 32 watches.

I thought the watches were fine. They made a big deal about the smaller packaging and they should. My problem is with the marketing direction the company is going. There was more coverage on the webcast about famous people Breitling pays to wear their watches than the watches themselves. The emphasis is on their ambassadors instead of their products. That's what I find really distasteful. How much of my MSRP goes to paying these people to tell me how cool this watch is? I know how advertising works, but this is too over the line, in my opinion.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 2:22 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Nihon_Ni wrote:
boogiebot wrote:
Nihon_Ni wrote:

I thought the watches were fine. They made a big deal about the smaller packaging and they should. My problem is with the marketing direction the company is going. There was more coverage on the webcast about famous people Breitling pays to wear their watches than the watches themselves. The emphasis is on their ambassadors instead of their products. That's what I find really distasteful. How much of my MSRP goes to paying these people to tell me how cool this watch is? I know how advertising works, but this is too over the line, in my opinion.
I feel you. The whole celeb thing to a fan base that is loyal doesn’t really make us fall further in love with the brand, especially when the brand will look to recoup its cost from the consumers. The only logic behind them doing this is to appeal to a broader range of people. At this point, in my opinion Breitling has alienated their core audience and is forced to do what it can to bring in new blood. The way for them to do this is to use celebs that they pay to wear the watch in hopes that their social influence will draw in the new clientele Breitling is looking to engage.