The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:45 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:44 am 
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Liked in: 343 posts
I saw Fred mention this over on the Rolex forums and now I see it posted on Breitling's website in case anyone is interested in watching.

Fred - any insights as to what we may see in this new episode? Is this the new model that was supposed to be revealed a few weeks ago?

Visit them on the web at http://www.govbergwatches.com or call 800-528-8463

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:56 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 1727 posts
no, a new line for a mostly neglected but now nicely growing market.
and specifics about the packaging concept

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:21 pm 
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

WatchFred wrote:
no, a new line for a mostly neglected but now nicely growing market.
and specifics about the packaging concept

Makes sense seeing the picture of the webcast shows a woman. The packaging concept will be good to hear. I'm still a fan of boxes but I can understand the movement to be more environmentally friendly.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:33 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

have probably said it two hundred times, but again: “classic” boxes will remain available.
and it may make sense to judge the new concept after you’ve seen it?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:26 pm 
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

WatchFred wrote:
have probably said it two hundred times, but again: “classic” boxes will remain available.
and it may make sense to judge the new concept after you’ve seen it?

Fred - I apologize if my post came off wrong but I’m open to seeing the new concept. I’m a fan of the boxes and am glad they will still be around but I’m not holding it against Breitling if they want to offer something more friendly to the environment. I realize the boxes are great but in reality, they all sit on a shelf I my closet and I’ve never looked at them after the purchase.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 4:52 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 370 posts
Justin, no need to apologize for what you like! I'm sorry if I am old school, but I like my boxes! They sit in a big crate in the garage but when I go to sell a watch I can always say "it comes with the original box"!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:05 am 
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

OK Fred, I'll admit, I've changed my mind about the new packaging and I actually kind of like it. It still seems like a watch box which I like but you've got the environmentally friendly aspect of it as well. I'm glad to see it still shows like the typical watch box.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:26 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
Packaging is always a difficult one for me.

On the one hand I fully subscribe to the "you don't wear the box" school of thought, but on the other hand I also agree that a quality box is part of the overall presentation and the "experience" of buying a luxury item. That said, I think the new "fold-flat" packaging is a good move and if it's as sustainable as it looks (and thus good for the planet) while also not taking up much space during shipping (again, better for the environment in transport costs) AND takes up less room in your cupboard (and therefore good for your own storage!), then it's definitely a positive thing. :thumbsup: (And it looks pretty good too!)

However, planetary concerns aside, I must admit to still missing the 'historic' Bakelite boxes of yesteryear! :lol: I always thought that if the last Bakelite ones produced had been lined with leather instead of that "pleather" that used to break down over the years, then they would've been unbeatable. But if the new packaging helps the planet, even in a small way, then I'm definitely all for it 100%. :thumbsup:

Site Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:10 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 71 posts
Driver8 wrote:
Packaging is always a difficult one for me.

That puts it well Driver. I have exactly the same ambivalence: I like the feelgood factor at purchase time, then they go in a cupboard and are never seen again ...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:01 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

here's a video for those that haven't seen it yet:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6HSYu4 ... e=emb_logo

and some pics:

watch cushion doubles as a travel pouch:

whoever prefers the "classic" box & leather pouch can opt to receive them free of charge (no, the Bakelite are gone for good, sorry - and I hated those, as the hinges were breaking, and don't remind me about the black faux leather pouches that disintegrated into sticky goo).

before the cynics arrive - the new packaging is more expensive to produce than the "classic", potential cost savings may balance that in the long run, as storage & transportation costs are dramatically lower, carbon emissions for transport are cut by 60%.

while we are at it: watches. for me the positioning the 36 as a "Ladies' Watch" at launch wasn't smart, it is a beautiful unisex dress watch, actually; Georges now agrees, so we'll see how this will play out in the end, think we may soon see him wearing the watch ;)

some nice pics by Peter Chong for Deployant: https://deployant.com/new-with-hands-on ... -and-32mm/

Hunterfate likes this post.
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:45 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 71 posts
Thanks for that Fred. I must say I really like the thought that's gone into that packaging option.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:19 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
Good looking pieces those 36 and 32's. :thumbsup:

The 36mm is definitely a unisex piece IMO. (A lot of non-Breitling watch-folk would say that 36mm is definitely a gents watch!)

Site Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 2:04 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 370 posts
Quote:
before the cynics arrive

Not sure why anyone who might not agree with with the new packaging concept or fail to fall in love with the new watches would be referred to as a cynic! Not everyone who enjoys the Breitling brand is madly in love with everything that Kerns and company have done. To use a little baseball analogy, in my opinion he has hit a few balls out of the park but on other occasions he has looked really bad against the curve! Hopefully my name won't be marked with a big "C" next to it in the lineup card!! :poke: :poke:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 4:45 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 19 posts
56scooter wrote:
Quote:
before the cynics arrive

Not sure why anyone who might not agree with with the new packaging concept or fail to fall in love with the new watches would be referred to as a cynic! Not everyone who enjoys the Breitling brand is madly in love with everything that Kerns and company have done. To use a little baseball analogy, in my opinion he has hit a few balls out of the park but on other occasions he has looked really bad against the curve! Hopefully my name won't be marked with a big "C" next to it in the lineup card!! :poke: :poke:

I don't think Fred was saying that at all.

The history of this discussion is that the new packaging (or lack thereof) is all a cynical cost cutting exercise by Breitling to reduce overheads and pump up short term profits to position the company for a dump and run sale by CVC and GK. Like a few people (and Im guessing Fred) Im finding this line of logic for every decision coming out of Breitling tiring and I suspect Fred was prepping for that response with the phrase "before the cynics arrive" when talking about the cost of the packaging.

Personally I'm ambivalent over the packaging. I've gutted a few boxes to use to store nicnacks but the majority are filling up a storage crate in the garage. Im happy with something just good enough to keep people broadly onside but using the absolutely least amount of effort to get there for packaging so this looks fine.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 4:56 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 19 posts
Overall I quite like the new chronomats but I share the slight concern over the branding as 'ladies' watches. Here's my take:

a. people wear watches, some people like watches that code as masculine, some people like watches that code as feminine.
btw - some people are very happy with both - a hypermasculine avenger night mission one day and a slightly feminine mint green chronomat the next perhaps.
b. we know what feminine and masculine look like - we don't need to be told and if we have different takes on just where the line is? big deal.
c. so just make watches all sort of people will like, call them watches and let us decide who they are for.

oh - and don't be afraid of making watches that come of as feminine is slightly bigger sizes - I would have recommended a 39/40mm version as well.