It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:56 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Dealing with a lemon
PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:09 pm 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Liked in: 1 post
Hello,

I am asking for others' wisdom, perspective, thoughts...

I own a Navitimer 01 is rose gold with a sad history. A very handsome watch that looks like a fine instrument and that is why I like it. When I first bought it 4 years ago, it kept near perfect time for a few months and then a gear wheel broke. The dealer, Feldmar Watch Co. on Pico Blvd. in Los Angeles, shipped it to Breitling USA in Connecticut for repairs. It came back, worked ok for a while, then began to run fast. Breitling USA could not adjust it properly, and in the meantime the date function got screwed up. I sent a letter to Breitling's CEO in Switzerland. Feldmar sent the watch it was sent to Switzerland. I was told it got a new movement and was adjusted. When the watch returned it kept perfect time (it ran fast by about 30 seconds a month - you can't ask more than that from a mechanical watch).

I handle the watch gently. I don't dunk it in waterbut I do wash my hands with the watch on being careful not to run water too hard. I have to wind it because my left arm is stiff and so the automatic rewind is not triggered. I give it 10 winds or so twice a day. I wear the watch every day. It is my work watch, my leisure watch, my dress watch, my cooking timer (I wash my hands and dry them before pushing the stop watch if I handle food, especially oil).

Last week, the watch began to run slow - 2 hours a day! Not only that, it stops early before the expected time on the spring runs out. I am guessing something is obstructed. By now this is the fifth time it needs warranty service (my warranty runs out next year).

Feldmar's employees have been very kind and courteous. When I called Breitling USA in Connecticut, a supervisor was rude and abrupt with me. When I appealed to Switzerland for help, the response was very courteous and that's how the watch made it to Switzerland for service.

But now I am back to the same place. For a period of 6-8 months, the watch runs incredibly well. I don't have to reset the time but every 4 months or so. Wow! But then it breaks. It doesn't just need routine service and adjusting. It actually breaks.

The only technicians who ever opened my watch to work on it were either Breitling employees or authorized watchmakers paid by Breitling for warranty service.

I am unhappy with the situation. I'd like to be able to hand it in and select a new one from the store shelf, because the amount of times it has needed serious repairs has been clearly excessive. It's a lemon. (On the other hand, I suppose Breitling's profit from selling it to me is reduced by the number of times the company has to pay somebody to fix it and change parts in it).

I know that Feldmar sold plenty of Breitlings that worked well and only needed a little service on a schedule. So I got a lemon. Feldmar could not have known that beforehand. I will ask for advice from a lawyer about my options, but I will also go through channels again (meaning writing to Breitling and taking the watch back to Feldmar).

I am grateful for any insights you might have.

Post subject: Re: Dealing with a lemon
PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:39 pm 
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Liked in: 343 posts
There was a member on here who had a Chronomat 44 with the same movement and had numerous problems. I know eventually he got the movement swapped out but I believe it went back and forth several times. I don’t know if you’ll have any luck, but Georges Kern is active on social media so maybe try reaching out directly to him to see if he can help. I know he’s replied to a couple of questions I’ve asked him directly on LinkedIn.

Visit them on the web at http://www.govbergwatches.com or call 800-528-8463

raryel likes this post.
PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:44 pm 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Liked in: 1 post
Thank you! I will do that.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:24 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 48 posts
jnelson3097 wrote:
There was a member on here who had a Chronomat 44 with the same movement and had numerous problems. I know eventually he got the movement swapped out but I believe it went back and forth several times. I don’t know if you’ll have any luck, but Georges Kern is active on social media so maybe try reaching out directly to him to see if he can help. I know he’s replied to a couple of questions I’ve asked him directly on LinkedIn.
Good memory, that was a few years back, if I remember correctly it was a present that was purchased outside the UK and the case back was engraved, he wanted to retain that so a complete swap out was not on the cards. It went on for months but I don't remember what the silver bullet was to fix it, I know BUK were heavily involved.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk