The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:14 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:26 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 19 posts
My B1 has all functions working other than the backlight (no EOL indicator flashing). What I have noticed is that when the crown is depressed the seconds hand stops at it should and then restarts and makes up the time also as it should. This is making me think that it might be more than just needing a battery change, perhaps contacts or (The horror! :cry: ) the light itself has gone! I that is the case does that mean a new movement or is the backlight replaceable?

ps. anyone know the ballpark figure price for a new B-1 movement just in case?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:48 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 159 posts
I have a failed push button too. Breitling will only fix it as part of a full service. In Australia that is about AU$1700. In the US, that was being done last year for a little over US$500. I'm looking at shipping my watch to a friend in the UAE, where hopefully the cost will be more reasonable than the Australian cost.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:54 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 19 posts
arcadelt wrote:
I have a failed push button too. Breitling will only fix it as part of a full service. In Australia that is about AU$1700. In the US, that was being done last year for a little over US$500. I'm looking at shipping my watch to a friend in the UAE, where hopefully the cost will be more reasonable than the Australian cost.

I have yet to get off the floor! :shock: :shock:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:29 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

blubarb wrote:
I have yet to get off the floor! :shock: :shock:

To determine what is going on, you will need to give it to Breitling to do an assessment. In my case, a crown press resets the watch. If I don't touch it, the watch works perfectly and keeps perfect time. At least all yours does is pause the second hand, which you could live with. Look, it might just be a dirty contact in your case, so a simple fix, but you won't know until you send it to them.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:57 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 16 posts
arcadelt wrote:

Has your friend told you who in the UAE he'd be sending to the watch to? I'm asking because I just got a B-1, and I don't know the service or battery change history. I'm thinking about having a service done as a precaution because then I'll know the seals are good and the battery is fresh.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:09 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Henryj wrote:
Has your friend told you who in the UAE he'd be sending to the watch to? I'm asking because I just got a B-1, and I don't know the service or battery change history. I'm thinking about having a service done as a precaution because then I'll know the seals are good and the battery is fresh.

When I was there in 2012, I just submitted my watch to the Boutique - they took care of the rest. I simply ask that he do the same thing. Lots of people say that quartz is a safer bet than mechanical, but what I have found is the non-in-house mechanical movements can be serviced by many watchmakers, whereas in-house and quartz is strictly a Breitling service.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:25 pm 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Liked in: 0 post
arcadelt wrote:
Henryj wrote:
Has your friend told you who in the UAE he'd be sending to the watch to? I'm asking because I just got a B-1, and I don't know the service or battery change history. I'm thinking about having a service done as a precaution because then I'll know the seals are good and the battery is fresh. This was one of the things they taught. It is better to keep them next to each other, because that was it will last longer and the chance of falling is lower. If it slips and fall, you can try to see the lower part and this will help with this kind of problem. You would have to look at the battery change history as well, that can provide some useful information about it.

When I was there in 2012, I just submitted my watch to the Boutique - they took care of the rest. I simply ask that he do the same thing. Lots of people say that quartz is a safer bet than mechanical, but what I have found is the non-in-house mechanical movements can be serviced by many watchmakers, whereas in-house and quartz is strictly a Breitling service.

Hi
but I thought there is quartz can be serviced by every shop that exists on every corner? There is a guy down the street from me who does it and apparently this is pretty common?

Last edited by interestingguy on Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:10 pm 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

interestingguy wrote:
Hi
but I thought there is quartz can be serviced by every shop that exists on every corner? There is a guy down the street from me who does it and apparently this is pretty common?

Sure, they can put a battery in, but what if a circuit is broken or a vital component needs replacement. With a Breitling superquartz movement, we are talking about pretty specific parts only available to Breitling and authorised repair agents.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:00 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 0 post
A little off topic... I've had my Airwolf battery changed three times. All three times I was told it needed a complete overhaul due to this or that. My biggest issue about Breitling is the cost of ownership versus the cost to acquire is out of wack. This is why I have flipped all but one piece (the one that causes me the most costs and I don't wear anymore because I've moved into different pieces).

That being said, my Airwolf was my first "nice" watch, and I still have it. I'm very seriously considering trading it for a B50.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:35 pm 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

rebel_1 wrote:
A little off topic... I've had my Airwolf battery changed three times. All three times I was told it needed a complete overhaul due to this or that. My biggest issue about Breitling is the cost of ownership versus the cost to acquire is out of wack. This is why I have flipped all but one piece (the one that causes me the most costs and I don't wear anymore because I've moved into different pieces).

That is why the B-1 will be my first and last high-end quartz. There is a mystery to the inner workings that does not apply to mechanical watches.