The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 9:32 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:19 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 0 post
Is there any good instruction on the web on how to change the batteries on a Emergancy watch from 2006?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:27 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 5 posts
I'm sure others will chime in, but I think that you need to send the Emergency back to Breitling to have the battery changed. I also believe that the first battery replacement is free.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:29 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
john123 wrote:
I'm sure others will chime in, but I think that you need to send the Emergency back to Breitling to have the battery changed. I also believe that the first battery replacement is free.

Yes and yes.

You absolutely do not want to be messing with the Emergency yourself - it could get remarkably expensive ($50,000 in most jurisdictions).

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:10 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Do a search with google and you'll find directions if you are adamant about doing it yourself. I did mine and it was a pleasant experience if you are mechanically inclined and like opening things up to see how they work. You have to be VERY careful and have very detailed instructions because once you open it up it's not blatantly obvious how to change it. I was happy to save the money (and wait time) it would have cost me to send to BUSA but was fully prepared to abandon ship if things got too tricky. In the end it worked out great but you have to be honest with yourself about your mechanical abilities. This reply is in no way condoning that you should change the E battery yourself!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 1:57 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Mmm well i work as an electronics engineer with mobile phones, So i'm used to very small components. Also i have access to very good equipment such as microscope etc.

I will not buy a new watch cuz it's to much money.

So as long i can find good instructions on how to do it i'm pretty sure i will manage. I think it's a joke to pay 300$ or more for a "battery change". Yea i understand they go thru the watch but still....

And regarding service on the emergency sender i dont believe they do actually service on it. They probably only test it's function. i mean its a electrical part. And you dont change electronic components just in case. Only if they fail.

So i understand fully your advice not to do it by your self, but i still hope somebody can give me a hint on where to find good isntructions.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 4:25 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 5 posts
Is this battery the original one? If so...then the 1st service is free. The only thing you would "lose" is some time to send it back. IMO it is too nice of a watch NOT to make sure that it is serviced properly.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 5:01 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

newbadboy wrote:
Mmm well i work as an electronics engineer with mobile phones, So i'm used to very small components. Also i have access to very good equipment such as microscope etc.

I will not buy a new watch cuz it's to much money.

So as long i can find good instructions on how to do it i'm pretty sure i will manage. I think it's a joke to pay 300$ or more for a "battery change". Yea i understand they go thru the watch but still....

And regarding service on the emergency sender i dont believe they do actually service on it. They probably only test it's function. i mean its a electrical part. And you dont change electronic components just in case. Only if they fail.

So i understand fully your advice not to do it by your self, but i still hope somebody can give me a hint on where to find good isntructions.

1) $300 is not for a battery change it's for a service. Changing the battery and leaving old oil in the watch is a worthless exercise - kinda like changing your car's oil filter and leaving the old oil in.

2) First battery change is free

Your watch, your decision, but I'll freely admit that I don't get it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:11 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

How much is the battery itself if you were to purchase out right from so,where? And...where would you purchase it from?

Just curious before investing in one. :D

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:15 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 3 posts
im with Roff .
you spend all this money on the watch i would not risk it, and Breitling will NOT warranty that watch , and if the next owner buys it from you, again Breitling will not touch it as they did not do the battery change or servivce ... big risk your watch your decision...

i have a Mission and i have been all through it with Breitling ALL Emergency's Must go back to Breitling them selfs for all work..........

is there a reason why you do not want to send back just curious

Good Luck

PS im good with mechanics but i would not change the brakes on a Ferrari ...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:47 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Finally i did not ended up with the emergency watch so i can not say if its hard or not. I did not buy that watch because as said by others only breitling themselfes do service on this modell. By this i mean even regular service as changing gaskets and so.

I bought the Airwolf model which is cheaper and looks better i think. I was advised to not change the battery on this watch either by myself but i made a case opener in aluminum and it was extremly easy to open it and change the battery.

But there was NO warranty left on the watch. I have also checked with local authorized dealers and they will perform reagular service on the watch even i f i have made a battery change myself

I cannot say how skilled you are so i only speak for myself.

I think owning the Emergency model can be fun but this is basically the most expensive modell to perform service on, at least among the quartz range. Keep that in mind.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:48 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Just got my EM back after service. It is not only a service, it is an overhaul of the watch. All gaskets, the batteries (naturally) and the hands are exchanged. Above that the case and the bracelet are polished and nearly all scratches are removed. In other words, every 2 years I get nearly a brand new EM (or at least the feeling). That is not too bad for the money I put down for the service/overhaul of the watch. :D

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:29 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

By service i ment whatever needs to be done, not only batt change. For instance you could choose to not have the watch polished and save money. But its up to every owner.

Also thats another reason i bought the Airwolf, becuse it has mirror finish i can polish it myself with cape cod. It takes maybe three hours for a good finish but it's worth it. Only differnce is if there is a really deep scratch it doesnt dissapear with cape cod while breitling can probably make it better.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:21 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 2 posts
I would not even think about letting my own watchmaker change the battery of an Emergency.

Usually at the servicecenter, they also do some small upgrades (specially if it is a model from the first generations). Breitling is covering (by insurance) the search and rescuecost of an aeronautical incident, where an Emergency watch is used. If You open the watch Yourselfs, that protection is gone for sure, and You furthermore loose all warranty.

BG
Thomas

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:21 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Alien wrote:
I would not even think about letting my own watchmaker change the battery of an Emergency.

Usually at the servicecenter, they also do some small upgrades (specially if it is a model from the first generations). Breitling is covering (by insurance) the search and rescuecost of an aeronautical incident, where an Emergency watch is used. If You open the watch Yourselfs, that protection is gone for sure, and You furthermore loose all warranty.

BG
Thomas

Yeah, and let's call amateur quartz servicing what it is - a battery change, period.

I somehow doubt that the home battery changer is relubricating the watch (or even removing the old, broken down oil), checking and if necessary repolishing the pivots, checking the endshake, inspecting the running train, etc.

But really, that's not important, right!!!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:39 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

I agree with you guys. The emergency is a delicat item and i would not open it myself. Thats why i was saying that its an expensive watch to own.

I also agree that amatour service is a battery change and nothing else. And this is what i do only on my watch.

On the other hand i think its really ridiculous to do a full service on a quartz watch every second year (except EM model) or so. I have talked to my Breitling dealer and he said that there should be no problem to change the battery myself in the Airwolf and to send it to breitling maybe every 8-10 yeas to get full service on it.

Regarding gaskets i must add that i always keep in mind to never get the watch wet. Even if i would do a real breitling service i dont take baths with such a expensive watch.

I think its a bit sad that many people think that a quartz watch has something mystic inside and only a magician can open it.

BUT there is a big difference on a regular Quartz and EM model. Thats a fact.