It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:59 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: BREITLING SERVICE
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:05 pm 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Liked in: 0 post
Hello Guys,

New to this forum. Need some advice regarding the servicing of my Breitling watches.

I own a Shadow Flyback (Automatic) and a Chronos Sirius (Quartz). Both watches purchased new from an Authorised Dealer in Australia (The Hour Glass). Both watches have been serviced in Australia by the Australian authorised dealer, since new.

Recently I returned the Chronos Sirius to the Australian Breitling service centre in Sydney for a battery replacement. I was supplied with a quotation for $AUS800 service. I refused the service and requested that the watch battery be replaced and waterproof tested. Breitling Australia have removed the old battery, refused to install a new battery and returned the watch. The only explanation offered was that the watch was due for a service.

My questions are;
1. Is this normal?
2. Will the Chronos Sirius rust, decay or become damaged if stored without a battery?
3. I am travelling through Europe next month. Should I take my watches to a German, Swiss or UK authorised dealer to have the battery replaced and/or serviced?

Thanking you all in advance for your advice.

Post subject: Re: BREITLING SERVICE
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:18 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
Welcome to BreitlingSource. Will be easier to answer your question if we know when the watch was last serviced as opposed to just having the battery replaced. Quote doesn't seem out of line for a full service with one or two additional repairs required. Did Breitling provide a breakdown of the estimate?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:48 pm 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Liked in: 0 post
I was not provided with a breakdown on the quotation.

I am not sure when the last service was carried out on the Quartz as I merely send it to Breitling Australia (previously DKSH) whenever it needs a new battery. The previous services/battery replacements have cost a couple hundred dollars.

A couple of years ago I paid approximately $800 to "refurbish" the automatic Shadow Flyback. Which I guess is not as ridiculous given it is an auto. But $800 for a Quartz watch service which represents more than 50% of the present value of the watch is a little rich.

I am querying whether it is normal for an authorised service agent to refuse a minor service request (ie., battery replacement with a waterproof test) and retire the watch. Especially, knowing full well that I will not trust the job to any other watchmaker on account of the water testing issue?

I am also concerned about the effects of leaving the watch in a dormant state and storing it for the foreseeable future.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 4:11 am 
Contributing Connoisseur
Contributing Connoisseur

Liked in: 105 posts
Breitling or their authorised service centres guarantee their service for one year and it is an international guarantee.
The only way they can do it is if a needed service is completed in full.
" Minor service" replacing the battery only will not give them the confidence that they can provide a guarantee. Anything else is against service policy.
You can always go to a shopping mall watch repairer to get a battery replaced for about 15 bucks.
This however will not return the watch looking and working like new with a 1 year international Breitling warranty. Up to you which way you want yo go.